Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau special weapons
Closed Thread
Old 31 Oct 2005, 17:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to zee666
Default Tau special weapons

Looking at the Tau thoroughly, I figure that (like humans) the Tau should have special weapon squads. They either have pulse carbines or rifle, I mean what sort of choice is that? I think in a special weapon squad some average fire warriors should be put in smaller groups but with crisis suit weapon choices, like a fire warrior with a burst cannon, I don't know about anyone else, but I can see a fire warrior holding a burst cannon, humm. :-\

Well people can't be per.. ooh look a penny.

No don't run, I just want to cut off your face.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 17:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tau special weapons

Crisis Teams are fast-moving heavy weapons squads, what more do you want?
Old 31 Oct 2005, 17:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

Maybe, HOPEFULLY in the new Codex. They Tau are in desperate need of some lower-AP weapons that aren't on Crisis Suits.

In my opinion, GW should -really- think up some new special weapons given to infantry. Anti-tank, multiple shot, anti-heavy infantry.......idk. Just look at Imp.Guard, Eldar, Space Marine, Chaos, Dark Eldar, Witch Hunters, Ork, Tyranid....oh wait, that's the bulk of all the armies in 40k. Yeah, everyone has weapon options, Tau are given the option for 30" Rapid Fire, or 18" Assault. There are Crisis Suits but those cost way too much, are far too few in number, and just don't make up for the slack.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
Old 31 Oct 2005, 17:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to zee666

It's not because of the crisis suits and their hard coreness, it's the fact that the fire warriors are so boring.

Well people can't be per.. ooh look a penny.

No don't run, I just want to cut off your face.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 17:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think that with the new "Networked Markerlight" system, that my idea would be very good for Fire Warriors. Just have different types of gun drones & pay a higher price. For instance, If you want to replace the pulse carbines with a Missile Pod, then you pay 22 pts (10 for the drone & 12 for the missile pod). The Drone would shoot at BS 2 (without Twin-Linking) unless someone lit up the target with a markerlight. If you want to carry a fusion blaster in the squad then put it on the drone. These weapons are heavy and cumbersome... have the flipping drones carry them. It satisfies the fluff and with the drone's poor BS it isn't too over powering. Below is the price costs that I would suggest (these costs are for a drone attached to a squad by the way of a Drone Controller)

Drone with Pulse Carbines: 10
...with Missile Pod: 22
...with Plasma Rifle: 25
...with Fusion blaster: 20
...with flamer: 20
Old 31 Oct 2005, 18:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShaperx
Maybe, HOPEFULLY in the new Codex. They Tau are in desperate need of some lower-AP weapons that aren't on Crisis Suits.

In my opinion, GW should -really- think up some new special weapons given to infantry. Anti-tank, multiple shot, anti-heavy infantry.......idk. Just look at Imp.Guard, Eldar, Space Marine, Chaos, Dark Eldar, Witch Hunters, Ork, Tyranid....oh wait, that's the bulk of all the armies in 40k. Yeah, everyone has weapon option...
Oh, you mean like Necrons.* Let's see choice of Gauss Flayer or ... Gauss Flayer.
(yeah I know, you said "... the bulk of all the armies in 40K")

As far as those other armies with all of the options, how about comparing the standard issue weapons to the standard issue Tau weapons.
Lasgun:* S3 AP- 24" Rapid Fire,
Shuriken Catapult: S4 AP5 12" Assualt-2,
Splinter Rifle: S3 Ap5 24" Rapid Fire,
Shoota: S4 AP6 24" Rapid Fire (EDITED - thanks for the correction )
Boltgun: S4 AP5 24" Rapid Fire

I mean if you really want the Tau to be like every other army, why not just use one set of rules for all of the armies and just use different models so you can tell the sides from one another?* Or maybe reduce the capabilites of thier Pulse weapons so that they are in line with all of the other armies standard issue weapons, and then give the Tau some special or heavy weapon options so they can be just like everyone else?

Sorry, I see the Fire Warrior options as what sets their army list apart from all of the others.* With the exception of Space Wolf Long Fangs, the Tau have the only units in 40K that can split fire at two or more targets.* I am pretty sure every other army would love to have that ability for their units.
Quote:
Tau are given the option for 30" Rapid Fire, or 18" Assault. There are Crisis Suits but those cost way too much, are far too few in number, and just don't make up for the slack.
If you want a heavy weapon optionin your Fire Warrior squads, give your Team Leader a Markerlight and include some Seeker Missiles on your vehicles.* Heck, give them a HW-Target Lock and then you can do stuff that no other army can do, have a Troop unit fire at two different targets.

As for me, I would not expect to see any weapons that are mounted on the Crisis suits carried by any Fire Warrior squads in the new codex - Pulse Rifles and/or Pulse Carbines, that's it.

Later,
Fireblade
(sorry - steps back off of soapbox)
“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Old 31 Oct 2005, 19:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShaperx

In my opinion, GW should -really- think up some new special weapons given to infantry. Anti-tank, multiple shot, anti-heavy infantry.......idk. Just look at Imp.Guard, Eldar, Space Marine, Chaos, Dark Eldar, Witch Hunters, Ork, Tyranid....oh wait, that's the bulk of all the armies in 40k. Yeah, everyone has weapon option...
Oh, you mean like Necrons. Let's see choice of Gauss Flayer or ... Gauss Flayer.
(yeah I know, you said "... the bulk of all the armies in 40K")

If you want a heavy weapon optionin your Fire Warrior squads, give your Team Leader a Markerlight and include some Seeker Missiles on your vehicles. Heck, give them a HW-Target Lock and then you can do stuff that no other army can do, have a Troop unit fire at two different targets.

As for me, I would not expect to see any weapons that are mounted on the Crisis suits carried by any Fire Warrior squads in the new codex - Pulse Rifles and/or Pulse Carbines, that's it.

Later,
Fireblade
(sorry - steps back off of soapbox)
Fireblade, I uderstand what you're saying, but with Necrons, they don't need heavy support weaponry. Their Gauss Flayers can glance any tank on a 6, unlike anyone elses small arms in the game.

Like the rest of the armies that were mentioned before, Fire Warriors need to be able to take down more heavily armored tanks. Yes including a Seeker missile is nice, but costly. That seeker has an additional disadvantage over other heavy weapons. First off, like I said, they cost 10 pts a pop. Second, if the Team Leader hits with the Markerlight, the Seeker missile STILL has to roll to hit. Granted it is a 2+ to hit, but no other heavy weapon in the game makes you roll to hit a second time. Finally it has an ammo limit. None of the other Heavy Weapons in the game have an ammo limit.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 19:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKitsune
Like the rest of the armies that were mentioned before, Fire Warriors need to be able to take down more heavily armored tanks.
Why? So they can be more like Space Marines? :
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 31 Oct 2005, 19:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade
Shoota: S4 AP5 24" Rapid Fire
AP6, actually. Not a big difference, but a difference all the same.

Tau don't need Special Weapons for their Fire Warriors - compared to most armies they ALL carry Special Weapons!

~Andromidius
Old 31 Oct 2005, 19:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKitsune
... Like the rest of the armies that were mentioned before, Fire Warriors need to be able to take down more heavily armored tanks.* Yes including a Seeker missile is nice, but costly.* That seeker has an additional disadvantage over other heavy weapons.* First off, like I said, they cost 10 pts a pop.* Second, if the Team Leader hits with the Markerlight, the Seeker missile STILL has to roll to hit.* Granted it is a 2+ to hit, but no other heavy weapon in the game makes you roll to hit a second time.* Finally it has an ammo limit.* None of the other Heavy Weapons in the game have an ammo limit.
All very true points, and unlike every other 40K army, that heavy weapon can actually target something other than what the rest of the unit is shooting at. So unlike a Space Marine Tactical squad with a Lascannon shooting at the approaching Ork horde, the Seeker Missile need not be wasted on such soft targets and gets to be fired at a target that is much more deserving of the S8 AP3 of the weapon.

The ammo limit and extra roll just happen to be the price to be paid for such an advantage. Sure it has its limits and restrictions, but it is also unlike any other heavy weapon used by any other 40K army.

With the addition of the new units, updated wargear, and unit tweaks, most Tau players should be quite happy (though you can never please everyone), even if the average Fire Warrior is not permitted to be equipped with Crisis suit weapons. From what I have seen, I am pretty sure that our opponents will be wailing and moaing at the changes.

Later,
Fireblade
“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Closed Thread