Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My first battle report...victory for the common good, any advice?
Closed Thread
Old 29 Oct 2005, 04:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default My first battle report...victory for the common good, any advice?

This was my first 40K game and I had to make a 500 pt army out of what I had from the battle force:

HQ: Shas'el with multi,PR,MP

Elite: 2 suits with: multi, PR, MP

Troop: 12 Kroot
12 Fire warriors (bonded)

Fast Attack: 6 gun drones

My opponent took an Inquisiterial Army that was composed of an Inquisister with a full retinue of cheribum and 3-4 storm troopers. Then he took 2 10-man units of storm troopers. A bulk of his points were spent on his HQ and retinue.

The board was set up with two fire corridors across the table with terrain on either side...plus cover at the end of either fire corridors. There was about 3-10 inches between terrain pieces in general across the board (except of course for the fire corridors).
My opponent is used to fighting a fighty-chaos army and sets up his HQ and retinue at the end of one corridor, he then places his two storm trooper units behind some trees to the left of the HQ. I set up my fire warriors at the other end of the corridor hopefully within 30 in. My crisis suits are set up next to the fire warrios to be able to move forward and be able to jump behind the terrain on the right. I infiltrate the kroot into the forest 18" away from the storm troopers and have the gun drones in position to skoot up and support the Kroot.

Turn 1
Tau: I start by shooting his HQ and retinue with my fire warriors. Several shots hit and six wound. He had not accounted for the group armour save/toughness rule so all of the cheribim go down and one storm trooper. My Crisis Suits jump forward and strike at the HQ, the missile pods obliterate the storm troopers witn AP 4. Finally my Shas'el insta kills his inquisitor with the plasma rifle. (at this point my friend is in utter shock...having lost his most points-heavy unit in the first round)
The Kroot in the forest move forward and rapid-fire into left-most storm troopers killing 4. He passes leadership test. I move the crisis suits behind cover and move the gun drones closer to the kroot.

Inquisiterial Forces:
Storm troopers let loose on the kroot in the forest, but only kill three due to his crappy rolling and my improbable number of 4's.

Turn 2:
I charge the remaining nine Kroot into the weakened storm trooper unit. He tells me the wrong weapon skill by mistake so I fail to kill all, but three (at this point I figured I would win, so I let the WS thing slide). They of course pass and stick around...striking back and killing three kroot. At this point my friend abandons his dice (which he claims are cursed) and starts using mine. My fire warriors kill only two of the second imperial guard unit, and my crisis suits I think kill 2-3 more. (rolling to hit was not so pleasent this round). Of course the troopers stick again.

He charges his other troopers into battle with the kroot and the kroot are whiped out. (yeah, I perhaps did not use the kroot properly, but I still contend that if he had told me the proper WS I would have whiped them out and consolidated into the other troopers). He uses his consolidation move back into cover.

Turn 3: My Gun drones kill one trooper in cover. My crisis suits blow way at the stronger trooper unit and both units below 50% run off the table.

VICTORY!!!

So what do you all think? I have a couple of questions: 1) The gun drones barely did anything...are they worth taking? 2) Was there a better way for me to use the kroot? 3) This is generally the same army I will be using against witch hunters, shooty space marines, and chaos space marines...will this army prove succesful againt these other opponents. If not, what would you change?

For those of you who may be wondering my opponent was relatively new to the game himself, having only played in about six other games involving the chaos space marines and shooty space marines. I suspect he will be better prepared next time.

Old 29 Oct 2005, 04:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: My first battle report...victory for the common good, any advice?

Normally, I think of kroot as a shooty unit first and foremost. That said, against some enemies (orks, IG) charging may not be such a bad idea. You need to make sure you have enough hits that you'll severely weaken/wipe-out the enemy unit, because kroot, lacking armor and good leadership, will quickly lose melee fights that last very long.

Drones aren't a great unit. They aren't terrible, but there are more effective Tau option out there. Stealth suits, for example, do what drones do, but much more effectively, and cheaper, too!

Sounds like a good game overall. Good lesson for your opponent. Most armies are melee oriented, so it's very easy to spiral out of control towards getting better and better hand-to-hand fighting capabilities....gotta remind people why that's not such a good idea sometimes.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 04:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

The Gun Drones are a very good unit, they just arent the type to turn the tide of battle. This game only lasted 3 turns, if it had been longer you would have seen the drones do some more. I tend to use them to shield the charge of my Shas'O, they keep him alive to bring his fusion blaster to bear.

This is a good rounded army, but that is the entire point of the battle force. Stick with it and get some more practice in against other opponents and see what you like and what you dont.

As for the kroot, I dont use them myself but you didnt do badly. The weapon skill mistake might have influenced the battle a good bit but you utterly mopped the floor with him. Taking such a heavy points sink in an inquisitor was his mistake and a bad one. Also it would seem that his inquisitor was not in cover, this was also a very big mistake, especially with them not only in LOS but in range of the Firewarriors. That single act sealed his fate.

All in all you did well, you kept the Firewarriors back and shot, the kroot infiltrated to hammer the enemy, you moved the drones to support your forward element, your crisis suits JSJ and supported the Firewarriors. You have a good grasp of the Tau army and this is one of the most solid wins I have seen in a good while. Now simply try your hand at fighting the other armies and post the reports.

Nice job!

Old 29 Oct 2005, 06:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Vega62a

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxpetronivs
Normally, I think of kroot as a shooty unit first and foremost. That said, against some enemies (orks, IG) charging may not be such a bad idea. You need to make sure you have enough hits that you'll severely weaken/wipe-out the enemy unit, because kroot, lacking armor and good leadership, will quickly lose melee fights that last very long.
Excelent point. A Kroot charge is only really handy when they're going to mop the floor with the enemy THAT TURN, or at least stay in a combat that the enemy can't do anything from (To protect them from fire the next round). They get a lot of attacks on their charge (36+ for a squad of 12, mroe with a shaper), but a pitched battle is going to go badly for them. Nicely employed on your part, though.

Quote:
Drones aren't a great unit. They aren't terrible, but there are more effective Tau option out there. Stealth suits, for example, do what drones do, but much more effectively, and cheaper, too!
Actually, a squad of Stealths costs more than a squad of Drones. 30 points times 6 units versus 12 points times 8 units. Yer math's a little off <3

Drones essentially do what Stealths do, but with a pinning option, fewer shots, a slightly better chance to hit, and they're fast attack instead of Elites; an important trait for Elites-heavy Tau.

Quote:
Sounds like a good game overall. Good lesson for your opponent. Most armies are melee oriented, so it's very easy to spiral out of control towards getting better and better hand-to-hand fighting capabilities....gotta remind people why that's not such a good idea sometimes.
It sounds like your opponent discounted the simple fact that FWs can outshoot storm troopers and can easily take down any individual unit with a T of less than 6, no matter how pretty his armor save is <3

Good win. Be prepared to face enemy armor and probably Seraphim if he tries it again, so I might suggest, in this case, dropping the drones in favor of a DF, if you're going to play another 500 point-er. (His Seraphim will maul you if there's any sort of cover. Period.)
Old 29 Oct 2005, 15:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega62a

Quote:
Drones aren't a great unit.* They aren't terrible, but there are more effective Tau option out there.* Stealth suits, for example, do what drones do, but much more effectively, and cheaper, too!
Actually, a squad of Stealths costs more than a squad of Drones.* 30 points times 6 units versus 12 points times 8 units.* Yer math's a little off <3

Drones essentially do what Stealths do, but with a pinning option, fewer shots, a slightly better chance to hit, and they're fast attack instead of Elites; an important trait for Elites-heavy Tau.
Actually, I was just considering stealths cheaper in terms of firepower only, as that's where I usually start when considering units. A stealth suit costs 30 points at gets 3 BS 3 shots, while 3 drones get 3 BS2 (twinlinked) shots for 36 points. Once you weigh the other odds and ends (stealth, pinning, infiltrate, etc), stealth comes out on top.

In larger games, elite slots do fill up quickly, but at your point level, you'll have plenty of slots.....you just won't have the points to fill them all!

Old 29 Oct 2005, 19:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I dont like stealth suits a whole lot. Everyone loves the burst cannon. Sure you have 6 assault 3 guns, jetpacks, stealth and infiltrate but you only have 6, they are 30 points each and are not too versatile. With a BS of 3 your not going to be hitting too many of your shots. Add to that the fact that they are only str 5 ap 5 and though you may be wounding with most of those that hit, the enemy will most likely get their armor save and against marines (the majority of any players opponents Im sure, or if not at least 3+ saves) most of those that do wound will be saved. Against IG, Guardians and Nids stealths are exelent, against power armor they are mediocre at best. The stealth field is all that keeps them in the game when I fight power armored foes.

I prefer drones over stealths in almost any situation. They are really cheap for what you get, 4+ armor isnt bad, T3 could be worse, Twin linked guns, sure at BS2 but then two shots at rolling a 5 isnt bad. The jet pack allows them to be really surviveable or at least keep up with crisis suits and commanders to shield them. Stealth suits cannot protect your forward moving suits as they can be ignored for targeting purposes and they are too expencive too. Comparing them to drones isnt exactly a good idea as they do two completely differant things. I use stealths to harrass the enemy and hold a forward objective long enough for the main bulk of my force to arrive. Drones I use to zoom forward with my crisis wing protecting them and sometimes to rush ahead and aid the stealths in holding the line.

As for Seraphim, they are nasty and very annoying but I find that they can be beaten if you know what you are doing. Stealths can perhaps help here as each gets two attacks and their weapons are assault. Get them close to the seraphim who will doubtless be aiming for your Firewarriors, use the FWs as a lure even. Fire full blast into the seraphim then assault them. You have a good chance of doing some serious damage, plus the chance of locking the seraphim in open ground once the fight is over, thus allowing the rest of the army to shoot them apart.

On the other hand drones can be much better suited to this task as they have a nice Initiative of 4, and with 2 attacks on the charge they can lock the seraphim up and have a good chance of escaping especially if you bring a full squadron. Thus leaving the rest of your army to shoot them down.

Given the coste of the two units I take drones far more often than I do stealths. I leave the burst cannons to the Devilfish, Hammerheads and Crisis Suits. When I need to fill points a unit of stealths is nice, otherwise I find drones are an exelent way to back up the rest of my army and they actually have shot better than my Firewarriors before.

However I tend to take drones as the pair of gun drone upgrade for the Hammerhead and as they are passengers I deploy them seperately with my crisis wing from the deployment. My opponents always hate it when they have to shoot down small 2 drone squadrons.

Old 30 Oct 2005, 06:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Hm. Take your gun drones, and at the beggining of the game, either attatch them to your commander OR deep strike them for mayhem.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 30 Oct 2005, 06:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Hm. Take your gun drones, and at the beggining of the game, either attatch them to your commander OR deep strike them for mayhem.
No, no, no, no. I hardly ever advocate deep striking any Tau unit. Also attatching anything to a commander is for the most part folly. He loses his independant character status and can now be targeted. Plus if the drones get reduced to below half strength and fall back he is along for the ride right off the board.

I would however suggest using the drones as a screen for the commander and any other crisis suits you have on the board. Just be sure not to attatch your wonderfull IC to anything, be it crisis team or drones or whatever.

Old 30 Oct 2005, 17:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Either i'm crazy, or you can always unattach him...

And while he is attached, you can't get him, only his squad (I play against Vindicare Assassins).

Deep striking the drones would be tasty... Pin Imps, blow up Bassies... make an immediate threat on a huge board...

Oh, and its a victory for the "Greater" good.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 30 Oct 2005, 17:52   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau

Oh, and its a victory for the "Greater" good.
Hmmm...see what happens when you write a battle report at 1 o'clock in the morning after having been awake for about 20 hours. Anywho thanks guys, and I hope this list fares as well against my other likely opponents. (it's just that the 3+ armour save is pretty intimidating)

And yes...I know I need stealth suits; it is just that they cost money. Plus, with new cheaper models coming out in a couple of months it will be a battle between money, time, and patience. (I will probably give in by christmas, oh well)