Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Query about Pathfinder scout move
Closed Thread
Old 28 Oct 2005, 22:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Query about Pathfinder scout move

Hi all,

I was running through some PF deployment ideas in my head earlier (slow day at work...). I came up with one which seemed wonderful, and then I realised it was based on moving both the Pathfinders and the 'fish. So, does the scout move allow you to move either PFs or Devilfish, or could you potentially move both?

I can see arguments in both directions...the fact you can use the scout move to move the 'fish and then dismount suggests they move independently during the pre-game move, but it just doesn't feel right. They are one force org slot, but in game terms squad + transport = 2 units.

So, which is right? Answers on a postcard....

usmarox O0

Balanced is the new cheese i'd reckon. - Brushmonkey, on how 40K is supposed to be...

Best Tyranid player in the UK...until GT Heat 2, anyway...
Old 28 Oct 2005, 22:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Query about Pathfinder scout move

You can scout the fish. Preferably up a flank behind cover. 8)
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 29 Oct 2005, 22:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ah, but can I move the PFs *and* the 'fish? If, say, I wanted to shuffle the PFs into a nice ruin and scoot the 'fish up the flank to get some side armour shots with the seekers?

Looking at the USR section of the BBB, the entry for Scouts says "...after both sides have deployed (including Infiltrators), any Scouts may make a 'free move'."* The Tau Codex says* "...may make a normal move after deployment but before the first turn to get into a forward position. This move may include disembarking from the Devilfish."

Reading the relevant rules more closely, it now seems to me more as thought the 'fish isn't included in the Scout move.* The BB* entry says nothing about dedicated transports, and the Tau codex only mentions disembarkation.* Add to that the fact that it is the Pathfinder squad that has the Scout rule, and not the 'fish.* One force org slot, but two separate list entries.

Hmmm.....I'm seriously thinking Scouts applies to the PF squad only.* Anyone want to offer a rebuttal?* I hope so, but I can't see one...

Balanced is the new cheese i'd reckon. - Brushmonkey, on how 40K is supposed to be...

Old 29 Oct 2005, 23:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

I would say that it only applies to the Pathfinders themselves, not the Devilfish. The reason being - in a normal movement phase, the transport and the disembarked troops are treated as two separate units, rather than moving simultaneously.

The wording of the Forward Scouts rule implies that they deploy in a devilfish.. however, this could mean two things - DF moves forwards, then PF disembark, OR PF Disembark and move normally, whilst the DF also moves away normally (as a normal squad with transport, where if they disembark at the start of the move then the squad and transport can still move afterwards, in any direction..)

So basically, if they deploy in the DF, the DF gets to move too, as for deploying separately, thats a bit vague..

I think you would have to either contact GW about it, and get a semi-official answer, and/or discuss it with your opponent whenever you play etc..
Old 29 Oct 2005, 23:35   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I tend to agree. The Scouts rule is not conferred upon the Devilfish. The Pathfinders are just allowed to use the Devilfish during their own Scouts move. If they aren't in it at the beginning then it shouldn't be able to move on its own.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 07:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I tend to agree. The Scouts rule is not conferred upon the Devilfish. The Pathfinders are just allowed to use the Devilfish during their own Scouts move. If they aren't in it at the beginning then it shouldn't be able to move on its own.
I think that's a happy medium. Unless I see anything to the contrary, I think I'm going to play it like that.

Thaqnks everyone!

Old 31 Oct 2005, 07:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

For memory

Tau FAQ V4.0.1 states that the pathfinders DF CAN take the infiltrators move even if the pathfinders are not starting inside of it
we are one of the only ones that can. >

I am having problems with the net so can some one look at the faq and double check??? address below

VVV

http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/4...erapproved.htm

1) Know your army's fluff.

2) Know your army's rules to a reasonable degree.

3) Don't post like a six year old.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 08:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Xenephobic Send a message via MSN to Xenephobic

Theres no mention of the PF and devil fish in the 4.0.1 Chapter approved, But there is mention of them in the older (V2.0) copy of the FAQ which states that:
Quote:
Q. When Pathfinders get there pre-game free move, can their Devilfish transport move as well? Also, can they move in the Devilfish?
A. A Pathfinders' pre-game free move may include their Devilfish transport. The move is performed as normal and may include embarking and disembarking.
Unfortunately this dosen't really seam to clear up the above query much, perhaps we ought to see what the "official" gw answer would be? Anyone submitted it to the rules-boys?

Old 31 Oct 2005, 08:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Edit: Beat me to it :P

I was pretty sure I read it somewhere, but I couldn't find it in the V4 FAQ.. but there it is, from the V2 FAQ.