Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

General Tau Modifications Expected in new Codex
Closed Thread
Old 27 Oct 2005, 18:57   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default General Tau Modifications Expected in new Codex

A few days ago one of my friends said that we (the Tau) were going to be nerfed in the next codex. By 'nerfed' he meant toned down a little. My reaction was a little more than anger. However, despite whether you think the Tau are cheese, there is a nagging question I have: Would loosing some of the awesomeness for some reliability and versatility be worth it? For instance, if I could make the kroot behave just like they do now (in cover) out of cover, I totally would, even if they were slightly less adept at kicking ***. What about firewarriors? If I were able to sacrifice 6" of range for +1 BS, I totally would. My point is that I keep wanting more versatility through generalization not through specialization. The issue I have with the kroot is a little more specific. Because they depend on terrain, and terrain is an element you and your opponent have to agree on, kroot awesomeness in any given situation is directly related to your opponents decisions. Basically, if we were to get nerfed, but at the same time gain some more reliability (like hitting on a 3+ rather than a 4+ considering our shootyness) would you like it?
Old 27 Oct 2005, 19:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: General Tau Modifications Expected in new Codex

I'd rather have range than BS, as the BS would up their points to 12. I like FW cheap, as their cheapness allows you to have lots of S5 guns. I would like to keep Fire Warriors the way they are, except maybe a second transport option (crossing my fingers on Skyray). We aren't getting nerfed, more like being kicked up a notch.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 19:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn

Yeah, an increased rapid rire range would be awesome. It looks like we can solve the BS problem with the new multifunction markerlights now anyway.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 19:32   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

As a rookie Tau (but experienced 40K player) I think the following would be nice additions;

-more options for fire warriors (not necessarily powerfull mind you!)
-heavy gun drones (would have to be good to compete with Hammerheads and Broadsides though)
-'troop'-gun drones. (more variety in troop-choices is nice)

But I might be biased; I plan to have a VERY drone-heavy army.* ;D (currently 3 units of 8, hehe)

I like the idea of Tau having fewer Tau warriors and using drones mostly. Might be it too.

No bloody clue though what to expect though, except the shown Vespids...
Old 27 Oct 2005, 20:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkerlyc
-heavy gun drones (would have to be good to compete with Hammerheads and Broadsides though
-'troop'-gun fdrons. (more variety in troop-choices is nice)
Sorry. based on what I have seen and been told none the above has made it into the final codex.
(Personally, I was hoping for the Heavy Gun Drones as well )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim
A few days ago one of my friends said that we (the Tau) were going to be nerfed in the next codex. By 'nerfed' he meant toned down a little.
Not sure what he heard, but everything I have heard and seen did not seem to show any signs of the Tau being "toned-down".

- Significant improvements to Markerlights
- At least two very useful Battlesuit supporst systems (Targeting Array & Advanced Stabilization System)
- At least four new units that I know of (two Fast Attack and two Heavy Support)
- A bunch of tweaks and improvements (IMO) to a number of the current units and wargear

Quote:
... there is a nagging question I have: Would loosing some of the awesomeness for some reliability and versatility be worth it? For instance, if I could make the kroot behave just like they do now (in cover) out of cover, I totally would, even if they were slightly less adept at kicking ***. What about firewarriors? If I were able to sacrifice 6" of range for +1 BS, I totally would. My point is that I keep wanting more versatility through generalization not through specialization. The issue I have with the kroot is a little more specific. Because they depend on terrain, and terrain is an element you and your opponent have to agree on, kroot awesomeness in any given situation is directly related to your opponents decisions. Basically, if we were to get nerfed, but at the same time gain some more reliability (like hitting on a 3+ rather than a 4+ considering our shootyness) would you like it?
The +6" is what helps to make the Tau's standard issue weapon different from the other armies (that and its S5). Just like the Necron's Gauss Flayers ability makes their basic weapon different. I would not want to change any of the things that makes Tau weapon's different (and fortunately, they will not be changing).

As for the Kroot and terrain, first they will remain pretty much the same as they currently are (with the rumored changes only affecting how Kroot Hounds and Kroot Ox are taken). So some of their specialness will still be dependent on the terrain on the board and what you and your oppoent agree to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlydawn
Yeah, an increased rapid rire range would be awesome.
I think that would require a change to the basic rules as detailed in the BGB where Rapid Fire weapons are defined.

Me, I was hoping that they would change the profile of the Kroot Gun. One shot at 48" if the unit remains stationary, or 12" for 2 shots or the unit moves.
(Not like I field Kroot Ox anyway - can't afford the Infiltrate loss for their inclusion)

Later,
Fireblade
“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Old 27 Oct 2005, 22:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Marklight drones. That's all I want; a drone with a carbine and a markerlight. When they make those, I'm all over it.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 22:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkerlyc
As a rookie Tau (but experienced 40K player) I think the following would be nice additions;

-heavy gun drones (would have to be good to compete with Hammerheads and Broadsides though)
-'troop'-gun drones. (more variety in troop-choices is nice)
Finaly someone else with the idea of a almost all drone army.

What the army realy needs is this
[move]More axilares.(.As in Peiod)[/move]
The kroot-CC, Gue vesa-? need to get their tanks or heavy wepons to be useful.
Thats all we have granted 1 more race, but realy the army is made special by the abilty to have so many axilers work togeather.
(Granted not alot are used often)
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 23:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would also like to see Gue'vesa's squads number in the 20's...then I would field them like the cannon fodder that they are! ^-^

Fancy drones would be nice...but they would probably come with a price tag... :-\
Old 27 Oct 2005, 23:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd like it if the Gue had access to some heavy weapons. But if the Kroot can take Krootox, then that might be worth it. MIGHT.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 23:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's funny... this is something like the 20th thread like this that has popped up in the past month. Seems like there's a new one every day. And every single one invariably turns into what would you LIKE to see, rather than what is actually rumored to be true. Guess we're all just hopeful by nature
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Closed Thread