Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Commander need advice against the Nids, 1000 pts rooters...
Closed Thread
Old 27 Oct 2005, 04:23   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New Commander need advice against the Nids, 1000 pts rooters...

Hail to all commander!!!

First time poster, but i have to say i sneak on this forum since a long time. And i am amazed by all the information i can find on it!!!
Truly this site is for the Greater Good!!!

Tomorrow i will lead my cadre to their third battle, a 1000 pts Take and Hold against Nids. I would like advice on my list because i am really not sure what to expect. My opponent has played his army a lot and he is a lover of big creature...

I got two options so here are the list!

Option A
-----------------------------------------------------------------
HQ:
Shas'o ->BC + PR + Multi-tracker [106pts]

Elite:
6 Stealth Suits [180 pts]
XV8 Team leader -> TL BC + MP + Hard Wire Multi-Tracker [74 pts]
XV8 Team leader -> TL BC + MP + Hard Wire Multi-Tracker [74 pts]

Heavy:
HammerHead -> Rail Gun + Burst Cannon + Multi-tracker + Target Lock + Decoy Launcher [170pts]
HammerHead -> Rail Gun + Burst Cannon + Multi-tracker + Target Lock + Decoy Launcher + Sensors Spine [175pts]

Troops:
11 Fire Warrior
11 Fire Warrior

Total 999 pts

Option B
-----------------------------------------------------------------

HQ:
Shas'o ->BC + PR + Flamer + Hard-Wired Multi-tracker [117pts]

Elite:
6 Stealth Suits [180 pts]
XV8 Team leader -> TL BC + MP + Hard Wire Multi Tracker [74 pts]
XV8 Team leader -> TL BC + MP + Hard Wire Multi Tracker [74 pts]

Fast:
8 Gun Drones [96pts]

Heavy:
HammerHead -> Rail Gun + Burst Cannon + Multi tracker + Target Lock + Decoy Launcher [170pts]
HammerHead -> Rail Gun + Burst Cannon + Multi tracker + Target Lock + Decoy Launcher [170pts]

Troops:
6 Fire Warrior [60 pts]
6 Fire Warrior [60 pts]

Option A
  • allow me to have a lot more men power but lack the ability to defend the Fire Warrior if the Nids are too fast...

Option B
  • Allow me to use the 2 Fire Warrior Squads as bait without risking to much points
  • allow me to play Gun drones (never played them yet and just past a huge amount of time to paint 30 of them)
  • Army a little bit faster with the drones
  • Army look a bit cheesy since i play the minimum core troops...

What do Think Experience Commander's?

[EDIT]
Forgot to mention the troops a have available that is not in the list:
16 Kroots available + a shaper
2 Devil Fish
A total of 30 Fire Warrior (24 Pulse Rifle, 6 Pulse Carbine)
and 2 Broad Side
[/EDIT]

Ben'to

2 Victory's for the Greater Good, Undefeated yet!
Imperial Guard Armored Company Destroy...
Blood Angels regiment Destroy...

Old 27 Oct 2005, 04:31   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: New Commander need advice against the Nids, 1000 pts rooters...

Not Sure i post this in the right section...
Old 27 Oct 2005, 09:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Nah, it's just no-one has posted. I think. Except me ;D

Nids....Personally, i would use the A list, Because it has more guns. You need LOTs of guns against Nids. You said he Favours big creatures. That's what the RailHead is for. You could swap a railhead for a ionhead if you want, and use that for Big creature hunting.

I would swap the Shas'o around, you will probably have need of the flamer. to defend the warriors, you could drop the missile pod or a burst cannon from the team leaders, and use flamers as well. A wall of flame really hurts the 'Nids.....

Remember, the Railhead is the bane of the 'Nid. Use it to blow their squads skyhigh!!
Old 27 Oct 2005, 13:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

I fight Nids every few days, my friend usually doesn't switch it up, but he uses a lot of the Monsterous Creatures, 3 Carnifexes and 1 Hive Tyrant. Then he just fills the rest with a Warrior Squad and a load of Hormagaunts.

I take the fight to him, waiting around for big toothy jaws to eat my Tau and claws to rip through my armor isn't really my thing.

I send a Crisis Team after the Warriors, Missile Pods are necessary, the AP 4 is priceless, especially when he spends the EXTRA points re-enforcing his guys with chitin. I also give them flamers because chances are, I'll be hitting into those Hormagaunts. 3 Flamers can romp a unit of lightly armored bugs.

Ion head is necessary as well, the 3+ Save on Carnifexes is hard to get by otherwise, and 3 shots beats 1 any day....I have 2 Broadsides, in 2 units of 1 model each and I keep the fire on the big Carnifex with the 2+ Save, they take care of him in a few turns.

My Kroot make an excellent barrier+counter-charge for my FireWarriors, and the FW themselves can put up an amazing ammount of firepower, and that's important when they're covering the inevitable retreat of my crisis suits.

As for my Shas'O (that BS of 5 is needed when every shot counts) has TL-ed Plasma and a Shield Gen, that's all. He's basically there so that if the 2+ save Carnifex gets too close and survives the broadside fire. It's a little tough to wound the thing on a 4+, but thats why every shot counts.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
Old 27 Oct 2005, 14:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShaperx

As for my Shas'O (that BS of 5 is needed when every shot counts) has TL-ed Plasma and a Shield Gen, that's all.
That has got to be the most horrible configuration I've ever seen on a Shas'O. He has BS5, so he doesn't need the twinlinking. He's an independent character, so he doesn't need the shield generator. You could get a fireknife or helios for similar points, and get more shots:

BS5 burning eye will get 1.94 hits at 12", or 0.97 hits at 24".

BS5 fireknife will get 1.67 hits at 36", 2.5 hits at 24", and 3.33 hits at 12".

BS5 Helios will get 0.83 hits at 24", and 2.5 hits at 12".

Fireknife may not be the best for killing monstrous creatures, due to the bad AP of the missile pod, but I guarantee that either one of these suits is a better Shas'O configuration than burning eye with shield. You're right, every shot counts...so take more than two shots, for the love of Christ!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 27 Oct 2005, 18:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Against tyranids, monstrous creatures are at the top of your list for destruction.* Monstrous creatures/synapse creatures generally have t6 and a 2+ save.* There are few weapons capable of dealing with such a threat effectively; fusion blasters and broadside railguns.* Why broadsides?* *Broadsides get a better price for the number of shots they get, and are more accurate than the railhead.* Use your railheads for dealing with genestealers and warriors, not hive tyrants and carnifexes.* Leave the big ones to the helios crisis suits (plasma, fusion, multi) and broadsides, with plasma if you prefer.

Kroot are an excellent choice against tyranids, as they pierce the armor of a regular gaunt AND wound it on a 3+.* They are actually better than fw's at shooting gaunts, or anything toughness 3-4 that doesn't have a 5+ save.* (because you get 10 kroot or 7 fw's.)

For 1000 points, I would reccomend;

Shas'el plasma, fusion, multi

12 fw's + shas'ui
12 fw's + shas'ui
20 kroot, no upgrades

3 helios crisis suits

railhead with burst, multi, decoy, target lock (sensor spines DO NOT work against tyranids anymore.)
lone broadside with multi tracker

For 992.* I don't know how you'd spend 5 more points (maybe you want a disruption pod, or go 2 points over for a sms?) but I'll leave that up to you if you take this option.* The 24 fw's, 20 kroot, and railhead should ALL target the fast things, while the helios and broadsides should attack anything big and nasty.* If you don't like helios, twin plasma crisis work against zoanthropes, but because monstrous creatures are toughness 6, not really against them.* That's why I advocate the fusion blaster with it's str 8.

To keep your fw's safe, put the kroot somewhere nearby. When the gaunts come, the kroot can counter-charge the gaunts and save the fw's. 60 str 4 attacks on the charge are not to be trifled with. However, as gaunts have better initiative, it's probably best to stay in cover and strike first.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 21:19   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Good point here!

I like the idea for the Kroots, Cost less and for most the the Nids units they will do the same job.
I will take out the drone squad from the list and a Crisis suits and will add a squad of kroots...
I will also change the configuration of the Shaso and the other Crisis Suit to helios...

Thanks for the feed back... I can't wait to try this out!!!

Old 27 Oct 2005, 22:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
For 1000 points, I would reccomend;

Shas'el plasma, fusion, multi

12 fw's + shas'ui
12 fw's + shas'ui
20 kroot, no upgrades

3 helios crisis suits

railhead with burst, multi, decoy, target lock (sensor spines DO NOT work against tyranids anymore.)
Agreed...it may seem like powergaming, but it is really the best bet to take on all of the Gaunts head on...
Old 27 Oct 2005, 22:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

you could use the last 8 points on photon granades or whatever ther called...or do you need to have a granade for each FW ???

Old 27 Oct 2005, 22:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

You HAVE to take grenades for every squad member. Plus, kroot should be the ones taking the charge, not the fw's per se.