Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Why a free move for the poor chaps...
Closed Thread
Old 26 Oct 2005, 13:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Why a free move for the poor chaps...

I've just had 2 battles this last weekend, with one major victory and one by the hair of the dog. My favorite unit by far is my 7 Pathfinders with their wonderful Markerlights and deadly Railrifles. They do kick ass, right until their very end which, I discovered, is achieved so much quicker when using the prebattle move. In both battles I flew their Devilfish a bit closer to the enemy in a fortified position but this also means that the enemy will reach them so much earlier...
Gotta love their gadgets but what to do with their prebattle move? ???

I know that without their 'cant-say-no' DevilFish they would truly be a very cheap and very effective unit but I have no problem (so far) with the vehicle. Still the deployment seems to trouble me.... Help? :

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 15:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Why a free move for the poor chaps...

Well, first, you don't HAVE to move them pre-game. Just leave'em be if you want. Also, a lot of ppl who use PFs tend to deploy the DF and the PFs separately, then use the movement to force the fish up towards enemy lines. This works best if you load up on Seekers and flank an enemy tank to get side armour first turn. That way you're generally hurting the tank on a 4+ (or more!) I would suggest setting back 6" from you main line. That way your markerlights and rail rifles have the same range terminator as the rest of your firewarriors
Old 26 Oct 2005, 15:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i have some comments, but beforing posting and risking sounding like a moron would someone clarifiy the pre-game rule just so i know we're on about the same thing.

Old 26 Oct 2005, 15:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

You get to move them before the first turn, but after deployment.

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 16:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Right. You could also load them up in the DF when trouble gets too close...

30" might seem like alot, but more than a few armies will be happy to sit out of range and throw a few long range rocks.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 26 Oct 2005, 18:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well, the scout move doesnt mean an advance, per se. think of it more like a final placement, never a charge. moving up a little closer will just get them shot up/assaulted more, since now theyre out front and unsupported.

think like this: theres a patch of woods/building outside of your deployment zone that would be a BEAUTIFULL markerlight nest. youll get to move up and drop the pathfinders in that juicy cover.

your scout move could also gobble up a loot counter before the game begins, then move back and keep it!

if your scouts are already in a great spot, well, then the devilfish can move foreward and make a menace of itsself!

in a dangerous setup: with land raiders around... you place your pathfinders dead last (fast attack choice) in an exposed position.... the point being that 8 pathfinders arent as afraid of a twin Lascannon as a Transport full of pathfinders. so, scout move in this case would be unload the pathfinders, and move the 'fish behind cover!

See? I love the Scout move!
Old 26 Oct 2005, 18:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I love the fact that in escalation, that Pathfinders are always deployed. During the last tourney that I was at, I was able to wreck some heck with them and my Broadsides. With Tetras having the same ability, I can have a lot of markerlights on the board.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 18:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

The free move can also be used to mess with your opponents deployment. Deploy the pathfinders in one part of your line. Then he infiltrates near them, so move 12" to the place you REALLY want to be. You can deploy halfway between 2 terrain features you might want to hide in and choose one right before the game starts.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 18:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's got a lot of applications, but too many people think too linear and go "I move forward!" and that's NOT the way to go with Pathfinders.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelben
I've just had 2 battles this last weekend, with one major victory and one by the hair of the dog. My favorite unit by far is my 7 Pathfinders with their wonderful Markerlights and deadly Railrifles. They do kick ass, right until their very end which, I discovered, is achieved so much quicker when using the prebattle move. In both battles I flew their Devilfish a bit closer to the enemy in a fortified position but this also means that the enemy will reach them so much earlier...
Gotta love their gadgets but what to do with their prebattle move? ???

I know that without their 'cant-say-no' DevilFish they would truly be a very cheap and very effective unit but I have no problem (so far) with the vehicle. Still the deployment seems to trouble me.... Help? :

-Khelben
A very good observation. Pathfinders that announce what they are too dramatically are going to be targeted. Even if they were mush and had nothing to offer more than Fire Warriors, they will still be targeted usually due to that pre-game move because it's "threatening." So, you have to think outside of the box. The free move is useful if you have a situation that is worth while, such as a loot counter that is very near by (which was mentioned) or something else, such as essential cover that you want to take right away that is just outside of your deployment zone. Typically, anything just outside the outskirt of your deployment zone is what that move will help you achieve. Otherwise, when facing an army with little anti-armor capability, it's a great move to allow you to quickly get that Devilfish towards something important (such as against a horde of tyranid with biovore backup, that's 12 more inches towards killing them quickly on the short (48 inches) and with the Fish and deployment and scout move, you'll be on those biovores by turn 2 easily. So it can be useful for things, but they really depend on your opponent and what's going on mission-wise.

I'd invite you to read this little blurb: Alternative Uses of Pathfinders. In this little bit, I mentioned a few things that you've noticed yourself, so maybe you'll find something helpful.

Also, we recently had a big discussion in general, which may help too: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=12853.0

Typically, I use the scout move for the Devilfish without my Pathfinders as they usually just start wherever possible out of line of sight.

In the end, I can probably tell you one thing that works for me, in terms of the free move:

--- Use the free move to respond to your opponent's deployment to (1) deny line of sight, (2) gain line of sight or (3) reposition in general to better take on whatever you're facing.

Think of it as a free chance to change your mind.

Cheers!