Seeker Salvo
Closed Thread
Old 25 Oct 2005, 06:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Seeker Salvo

Very effective anti-Termie Weapon?

Hm. Lets see...

Pathfinders (8) are within 36" of a termie squad. Sounds reasonable. Lets assume they have LoS,a nd that those Termies are charging across like Superman (2+ saves will do that).

... and we hit them with 4 marker lights. Ooo. Seeker salvo, 40 points worth of one time rockets.

and lets say 3 hit. Invulnurable save of a Termie is 5+, so...

Two wounds to a Termie Squad!!! Four if you roll above 1, and he rolls under 5... so usually 3 wounds.

What are your thoughts?

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 25 Oct 2005, 06:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Seeker Salvo

Unfortunately this would not be good use of seekers because they are only AP3, not AP2, and termies would be getting their regular 2+ save against them.* :P

Seekers are best used against high priority 3+ armour targets like bikes and devastators.
If you do a search you will find some threads that have plenty of info on seeker use.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 06:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Termies are toughness 4. Seekers are str 8. Invulnurable save or insta-killed.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 25 Oct 2005, 06:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

They still get a 2+ save,they only have to rely on their 5+ inv. if you wound them with an AP2 weapon, regardless of the strength of the shot.
I suggest you read the rulebook to confirm this.

So to answer your original question: 4 markerlight hits with an 83% chance x 4 seekers.

this equals 3.32 seeker hits on avg. x an 83% chance of causing a wound = 2.75 wounds, 83% of which will be saved for a grand total of .46 dead terminators. ( on average )

Old 25 Oct 2005, 07:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to wind777

Burnout and heleos are the best thing agains thouse as well as broadsides and rail heads. Thats about it unless you wana fire 12 shots 6 hitting then 4 wounding and then they all save them. Maybe 1 will die but there better use for your firewarrios to shot at.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 12:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Termies are toughness 4. Seekers are str 8. Invulnerable save or insta-killed.
I think you may need to re-read the rules detailing how Instant Kill works.

Just because a weapon has a strength that is twice the toughness of the target model does not mean that it prevents regular armour saves, only the AP value of a ranged weapon can do that..

Basically, all that the Instant Kill rules means is that models with more than one wound whole fail their save versus an Instant Kill weapon hit will be removed regardless of how many wounds that they have remaining.

So seeing as how non-character Terminators only have one wound, and they have 2+/5+inv saves, they will always get their 2+ armour save versus every weapon with AP or higher, regardless of the strength of the weapon. As was mentioned, it takes AP2 or lower weapons to force them to make the 5+ Inv saves.

Later,
Fireblade
“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Old 25 Oct 2005, 13:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Err...I'm really shying away from this tactic.

As seekers are 10pts/rocket, they are expensive toy that must be used appropriately. Keep the seekers away from the termies, for Smurfs want you to throw alot of expensive firepower at them: so that the rest of their army can run up and smash you into the ground! Use seekers for light vehicles (especially fast ones) and targets that are an immediate threat.

In your example of the Terminators being 36" away: throw some different firepower at them (like a Rail or Ionhead, or a slavo of Missile Pods).
Old 25 Oct 2005, 14:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've used a seeker salvo to pop 4 out 5 Devastators in 3 story hard cover tower. I don't think that point for point the tactic was worth it (considering the pathfinders are 200+ points, and I used all 5 seekers), but the destruction of his 5 man devastator squad (I think it was heavy bolters and missile launchers) probably saved me a lot of trouble later in the game.

I also recall the pathfinders being wiped out the very next turn. So it's good I expended all my seekers in one deadly salvo.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 17:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Damn.

The way I understand it, if you have a weapon with double the Str of the target's toughness, when you wound them they die immediately, having exploded spectacularly. The only way to prevent this is with an invulnurable save, in this case 5+...

Where did I go wrong?

Old 25 Oct 2005, 17:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Armour saves negate wounds - so they wouldn't be wounded to be instant killed, the invunerable save thing is something your mind has tacked on to make more sense of it.
Happens all the time, for ages we were sure that heavy weapons didn't let you get an extra attack for charging was in the book but could never find it...
Closed Thread