Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

suggestions needed...
Closed Thread
Old 24 Oct 2005, 22:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ilikebigguns
Default suggestions needed...

okay, so my gamesworokshop is having a campaign and the differant armys are splitting up into differant sections for example all xenos army's are on the same team and all imperial guard are on the same team so since I am going to be going against chaos, SMurfs, and imperial guard what do you think I should do my army? we are starting with 600 pt then the next week is 700 then 800 then 900 and a 1,000. We are only allowed one HQ and Heavy support, and no elites unless we win like stuff and crap like that lets us. so I made an army list and I was wondering what you thought.

HQ
Shas'o commander
plasma rifle
missile pod
Fusion blaster
HWTL
HWMT

Bodyguard
Shas'vre
Missile pod
plasma rifle
shield gen
HWMT

Troops

Fire warrior team
Fire warrior team

Heavy support

Hammerhead gunship
Railgun
SMS
Multi-tracker
Decoy launchers
Target lock
Disruption pod

Tau
wins:14
Ties:5
Lost:4
Old 24 Oct 2005, 23:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: suggestions needed...

Normally I would not advocate giving your commander a bodyguard but here I think its a good idea. That way you get around the no elites and get another crisis suite in there. This list looks good to me. Good luck!

Old 24 Oct 2005, 23:43   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

No Elites and only one HS can be a pretty raw deal for Tau, but it looks like you have a good start. I don't think I would bother with the shield generators, though. With only one HS choice, your opponent is probably going to be focusing on the Hammerhead with just about anything that can get through the Crisis' normal armor. Adding another small squad, perhaps Kroot or Gue'Vesa, should give you a little more flexibility when going after objectives. I am a little biased towards Mech Tau, but I would also recommend investing in a transport or two when you have the points available.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 00:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hmmmm....Interesting way of getting 4 Crisis suits on the field. Interesting. Being more agressive than the normal Tau player, I'd suggest instead of a Railhead, scrap it for the points and add in a Pathfinder team with 4 seeker missiles and maybe trade in a body guard or 2 for a broadside team. Being able to really reach out and punch out vehicles on turn 1 makes for a fairly scary firebase. And if your feeling saucy, TL plasmas on the broadsides and march 'em forwards munching on whatever comes in range. Using the Markerlights from the Pathfinders to iluminate any units in cover then punch their lights out with massed missile systems. Another sugestion would be to downgrade your commander to a shas'el and definitly lose the shield generators on the suits. Those points are better used elsewhere.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 00:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I see two battle suits, and if you are implying he take broadsides and a railhead read what he said, its a tournament allowing only a single Heavy Support.

Considering the restrictions I like this list and the shield gennerators can come in usefull to protect the suits you have, I see suits drawing a lot of fire most of the time and you never know when a vindictive leman russ or defiler would like to take some pot shots at your suits when they arent in cover. This can elminate your HQ in one fell swoop making the points spent on the shields very usefull indeed. Id keep them.

Old 25 Oct 2005, 00:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

In small games, everything counts in large amounts. *However, a seriously evil character or two are difficult to stop. *I highly recommend the hh, either railhead or ion, as in small games hh's are difficult to destroy. *Your crisis have long range weaponry, so it's probably best to find some good terrain and jump out from behind it to shoot before hiding again.

Lesse.... for 600 points I would go for;

12 fw's +shas'ui
12 fw's +shas'ui
shas'el fireknife
Railhead w/burst, target, decoy, multi
15 kroot

for 599

You'll have PLENTY of numbers (41 models in 600 points) AND toughness. *Here's what you do when the assualty things come within about 12.1"-17" of your fw's, and will be in range next turn (assault marines, bikes, etc.)

Run your fw's forward, all 24 of them, plus the kroot if you can manage it, and unleash the hell that is 48 pulse shots plus submunition on the poor souls who ever decided to come near you. *I have used this in small games before, and to devastating effect. *3 assault marines out of 3 bikes and 10 assault marines got through, only to be mobbed by 24 fw's plus my commander, who, with str 5, really put the hurt on the space marines. *The shooty element of his army was too weak to counter my numbers AND armor, and was promptly annihilated afterwards.

This list has worked for me before, it will work for you too!
Old 25 Oct 2005, 00:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I guess I need to iterate, I ment to substitute Broadsides for the railhead. I'm not always the best at atempting to get a point across. :-[ Now, if your woried about a Russ or a Bassilisk say, won't a HQ operating solo be more survivable? IE, surviving via the IC rule. It just seems like putting to many eggs in one basket for me. An HQ with Bodyguards are just asking for a pieplate to be dropped on them. Sure it gets you more suits, but I think the cost is to high. Course, I'm the beliver in massed FW teams. I tend to think in numbers, my Ork background really rears its ugly head here, overwhelm your opponent in numbers, keep him guessing where the actual assault is going to come from.

Now from another perspective of the Railhead vs Broadside, on one hand you have 3 suits with a 2+ armor save. On the other a single AV 13/12/10 tank. Which is better? I'd rather take the firepower of 3 broadsides than one HH. What it boils down to is play style really. I prefer using a sledgehammer, Ilikebigguns may prefer subtlety.

Wow, Khaldun hit the nail on the head. That is a SERIOUSLY good list! Not what I would do but...nice.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 00:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

In 600 points I would advocate the AV 13, sure you may have 3, 2+ saves but anything can kill a 2+ save if you shoot it enough, where few weapons in such small games will come closs to taking down armor 13, particularly not a skimmer moving fast.

Old 25 Oct 2005, 00:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hmmm..can't argue with that.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 05:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
Lesse.... for 600 points I would go for;

12 fw's +shas'ui
12 fw's +shas'ui
shas'el fireknife
Railhead w/burst, target, decoy, multi
15 kroot

for 599

You'll have PLENTY of numbers (41 models in 600 points) AND toughness. *Here's what you do when the assualty things come within about 12.1"-17" of your fw's, and will be in range next turn (assault marines, bikes, etc.)

Run your fw's forward, all 24 of them, plus the kroot if you can manage it, and unleash the hell that is 48 pulse shots plus submunition on the poor souls who ever decided to come near you. *I have used this in small games before, and to devastating effect. *3 assault marines out of 3 bikes and 10 assault marines got through, only to be mobbed by 24 fw's plus my commander, who, with str 5, really put the hurt on the space marines. *The shooty element of his army was too weak to counter my numbers AND armor, and was promptly annihilated afterwards.

This list has worked for me before, it will work for you too!
I goofed. Somehow I actually went over in points. Completely ignore my first army list. Use the following list instead;

shas'el fireknife
12 fw's + shas'ui
12 fw's + shas'ui
12 kroot
railhead with burst, decoy, target, multi

for precisely 600 points.

the funny thing is, 12 kroot lose the same number of models to take a ld test as 15 kroot... they are more efficient for their cost.