Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

how do you kill smurf treminators and chaos obilators?
Closed Thread
Old 24 Oct 2005, 17:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default how do you kill smurf treminators and chaos obilators?

(\_/) this is a bunny
(x.x) bunny is dead
'(__)' he tastes funny hehehe
Old 24 Oct 2005, 17:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Re: how do you kill smurf treminators and chaos obilators?

Helios crisis suits are probably your best bet against such things; only problem is you have to get close to use them really well.

Old 24 Oct 2005, 17:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well, once theyre deployed, I whip out my 12 inch frying pan, give a good spinning windup and WHAMMO!!!! the 12" wide Skillet works best... it gets all of them more often, and you'll only get one swing. :P

(heh sorry, had a FLKL moment.. if you know what FLKL is, it make more sense)

but seriously: Broadsides and Plasma Rifles. these are how I mostly handle those 2+ baddies. fusion guns are out there, too, but (until Stealth suits can carry 1, so the rumors hint..) I hardly ever find a way to use them.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 18:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartang
Heya Wartang

I just did a quick search with this same question and found a thread that is about 4 pages long, packed full of lots of suggestions and information on this specific subject:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=6303.0

In the end though, it comes down to two things: volume and penetration. Either shoot so many times that he eventually rolls 1's, or focus on ignoring his armor. Unfortunately in Tau, we can't always get enough low AP to deal with terminators, so you need to combine the two to work together.

Take a read in that thread linked above, it has all the information you'll need.

Cheers!
Old 24 Oct 2005, 19:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

My Shas'O laughs at 2+ armor saves and destroyes them with impunity. I face deep striking grey knight termies an awefull lot and my Shas'O usually kills between 1 and 5 of them and sometimes the grand master. They are a nice way for him to earn back points and with the fusion blaster and plasma rifle they are forced to use invulnerable saves. If I needed to he could probably kill them all by himself but I usually throw massed small arms fire at them aswell, just to speed things up.

Normal termies and any 2+ save units that do not have an invulnerable save hide from my Shas'O like he is the devil. I also have the threat of insta killing rail gun solid slugs to push those termies where I want... which is usually into the center of my Fire Lanes and the grips of my Shas'O and his fighting wing. I have more trouble with standard infantry than 2+ saves usually. Big and slow even if they do lock my battlesuits or firewarriors they cannot run people down so half the threat of close combat is removed... more than half really.

Old 24 Oct 2005, 20:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

My friend gloats about his Termies a lot, until I blow them to pieces. ;D The normal method of massed Pulse Rifle firepower does not work against them. You have to dig deep into their armor. Plasma Rifles do it best, with their good range, AP2, and strength high enough to wound them on a 2+. Fusion Blasters come second, but are tricky to use as the Terminators could just charge you next turn with their Power Fists. Helios, which is Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster and Multitracker; Burning Eye, which is Twin-Linked Plasma Rifle and Flamer; and Fireknife, which is Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, and Multi-Tracker, work best. They cut through their armor easily. Since there are so few of them, especially if you were facing Grey Knight Terminators, they should drop easily. If your Broadside or Hammerhead has killed off all the tanks, don't be scared to fire an air-scorching shot at those 2+ save SMurfs.

For Obliterators, no clue. I haven't faced Chaos Space Marines in battle.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 20:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Behemoth
For Obliterators, no clue. I haven't faced Chaos Space Marines in battle.
Obliterators are pretty much the same, only they have 2 wounds, and it's a little more difficult to wound them (T5). The good news is that they are T4 for isnta-kill purposes. Otherwise, the real difficulty is that if you don't kill them, they have twin-linked plasma, melta and a wide assortment of other weapons just waiting to rip you appart if you fail to kill them or stand in the open.

Any S8+ weapon that they fail their invulnerable save to will be a dead Obliterator and Plasma will only be wounding a 3+, so firing 6 twinlinked plasma shots into a mob of Obliterators won't accomplish much (it will result in 2 wounds on average, which means one Obliterator is removed). If you're fighting one or two Obliterators, you can get by with plasma and possibly another support unit. But when facing 3 Obliterators, you must tread lightly, as fusion is the most reliable way for the Crisis to deal with them and if supported by a railgun, the last remnants can be killed off too. More than 3 and you will start having lots of problems and in those cases, it's often better to feed them Kroot to keep them quiet and focus on the rest of their army as the Obliterators are an obvious crutch.

Cheers!
Old 24 Oct 2005, 22:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ilikebigguns

Hmm terminators eh? The only time I went against them I mashed them pretty well but that was also due to luck.. I was playing doubles with my brother who plays eldar against space marines and he had a terminator squad coming towards my fire warriors and right behind it was his command squad. I decided to shoot at the terminators my brother was annoyed because he didn't think i could kill them and wanted the command squad dead more than he wanted the terminators dead. So I shot at the teriminators, with my fire warriors he failed one save only four left, shot at them with my crisis commander another one dead shot my railgun submuntion and killed two more they failed there saves and then my sms killed the last one... that is the last time I have seen somone rolls that many time he was really annoyed... my brother was happy though, even after he thought I couldn't kill them. I loved it ;D But of course not everyone is that lucky on having their opponent fail those 2+ armor saves* *

Tau
wins:14
Ties:5
Lost:4
Old 24 Oct 2005, 23:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Last time I fought grey knights 5 terminators and the grand master all teleport in via homer right in front of a Firewarrior squad. I had every unit that could shoot at them, my commander pegged 1 or 2, Firewarriors riddled another 2 or 3 and probably the crisis suits finished off the last one. In one turn his entire massively pointed unit of grey knights was dead, and to what avail? He had shot a pair of firewarriors to death.... hah. Then he rolls a tank infront of the grand master to protect him and a few turns latter I hit the guy with a railgun solid slug and he vanishes in a puff of red. Terminators are not difficult on average if you know what to do.

On the other hand a landraider has a good chance of surviving a whole armies fire, and stunned hardly matters. It rolls up to the front of your lines and waits. Next turn it dumps out the termies and starts shooting. Suddenly the terminators are in your lines and can move and shoot. Land Raiders with termies in them are nasty. Luckily I rarely see terminators loaded in land raiders, more often I see the LR used as a main battle tank thats transporting nothing in particular.

Old 24 Oct 2005, 23:50   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Generally speaking, I would never take terminators of any flavor against the Tau. Their strengths line up poorly with the Tau's weaknesses, and our strengths line up very well with theirs. I also fight Grey Knights a lot, and I rarely fail to kill them within one or two turns of their arrival. They are simply too slow and too short-ranged to make much of a difference, given their cost. They are great in assault, but who cares against Tau? Everyone is great in assault against Tau. If you are seeing a lot of Terminators on the field, you should rejoice. As soon as they deep-strike, just move any infantry away from them and use Plasma Rifles and Railguns when they come up in your target priority.

Obliterators are another matter. The nice thing about them is that they are even slower than Terminators. Avoid them when you can, and focus Railguns on them if the opportunity presents itself.
Closed Thread