Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] 1500 Tau vs Ork Take and Hold Omega
Closed Thread
Old 24 Oct 2005, 06:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default [BatRep] 1500 Tau vs Ork Take and Hold Omega

As I mentioned in my Battle Report last week (http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=12696.0), one of the players who was watching (well, everyone in general) mentioned that they had never seen a Tau army even come close to winning, let alone demolish an army. A particular player said he’d show up a little earlier this week to get a game in against me to see if Tau could beat his orks, which had apparently never happened (?).

I used a similar list to last time:

Shas’el with TL plasma/fusion/HW multi
Shas’el with TL plasma/fusion/HW multi

2 Firewarriors
4 Stealth
4 Stealth

12 Firewarriors
16 Kroot
16 Kroot
14 Kroot

Railhead with burst, multi, disruption, decoy
Railhead with burst, multi, disruption, decoy
Ionhead with burst, multi, disruption, decoy

His orks looks something like this (I don’t know orks well, so use common sense in figuring out what kinda gear they might have)

Warboss in truk (Big Shoota) with several Nobs, all in mega-armor. Various scorchas, burnas, klaws, etc.
Mad Dok(?) with klaw in truk (big Shoota) with cyborks

17 Slugga Boys, 2 big shootas
17 Grots with herder, squig hound(?)
8 Tankbustas, 3 rokkits and nob with rokkit

3 Buggies with TL rokkit launchas
3 Zzap guns with various grot crew
3 killa cans, all with big-shootas and klaws

He rolled up Take and Hold, Omega for the mission. I mentioned I had a tourney coming up that was all gamma level, so we could go gamma if he’d prefer. He wanted to keep omega, so we did.

Same caveat as last time....I'm using MS paint here, so my graphics won't be great. Need to use your imagination a little with unit facing and such, as simple tasks like rotating pictures are a real pain.

After infiltration and such, setup looked like this:

He got first turn and took it.

Turn 1: Orks

No surprise, everything moved up. Rokkits shot at the middle kroot squad, but he failed to spot them due to concealment. Got a wound on my rightmost Kroot, but cover saved them.

Turn 1: Tau

I’ve been trying to get a little more aggressive, so I moved my central kroot up instead of hanging back and plinking away. Figured striking from cover, they could put the hurt on orks. Firing went pretty well, grots went to ground (slava was killed due to range issues from firing kroot), killed several orks.

Turn 2: Orks

Both truks come in….just what I didn’t want. Kans come in, too. Shooting kills 3 kroot from the center kroot, then orks charge. Despite 20 or so attacks from my kroot, I kill 2 orks. He kills 5 kroot. We run, get away 3 inches. He consolidates into us. We fail our leadership test (rally for melee while broken) and are cut down. Sigh.

Turn 2: Tau

Ionhead, Fireknives, 1 stealth team, 1 shas’el all arrive. Blast the Mad Dok’s truk, killing 2 cyborks. Shooting hurts the slugga boy squad, but they hold. Pick off a tank busta.

Turn 3: Ork

Buggies come on, blast into ruins, but make it. The Boss’ truk blast through the ruins, troops dump out, and flame firewarriors, catching several kroot in the process. Seemed like a LONG 12” drive, but I didn’t really argue it at the time. Both units break and flee after his shooting, so he can’t assault them.

Turn 3: Tau

Ionhead moves back (the Boss and friends scare him a bit), kills a few cyborks. Both railheads and the other stealth team come on. The firewarriors and kroot on the left are too close, so they continue to flee. Tankbustas knocked down to wounded nob, who proceeds to pass all sorts of morale tests.

Turn 4: Orks

Zzap guns come in. The Boss and retinue make a major mistake (I think) and chase the FW and kroot, attempting to kill them and pin the ionhead, I think. Would have hurt me more, I think, to mount up on the truk and head for the center? In any case, kills a few more, but can’t get into assault. Rest of shooting is pretty minimal.

Turn 4: Tau

Last shas’el comes on. Stealths kill Boss’ truk, buggies and kans suffer all sorts of stunned/shaken/immobilized/weapon destroyeds, but no kills. My stuff is being gradually pushed into the center from pressure on my left.

Turn 5: Orks

Warboss and friends charge ionhead. After about a million attacks, he manages to shake it. I got a little too close to the zzap guns, and they shake it. Not much else.

Turn 5: Tau

Shooting starts killing the harder stuff. 1 Kan goes down, 2 buggies as well. Tankbusta Nob finally goes down. Shaken Railhead move to the side to reduce exposure to zzap guns while allowing for a shot next turn.

Turn 6: Orks

Warboss’s burna friend immobilizes the ion head first…..somehow it got stunned (turns look a little off at the end of the game here) so it crashes down but isn’t destroyed. Because it crashes down early in the assault, all the powerklaws don’t have to roll 6’s to hit……resulting in LOTS of hits. Despite all the whacking, the thing survives. Mad Dok and 2 kans (1 with no arms) assault center railhead. Nothing happens.

Turn 6: Tau

Center railhead tankshocks maddok. He fails to stop it and is crushed. Shas’els kill several nobs, everything else clears out the center.

Pretty much called at this point….after saying so, he rolled and the game ended anyway, so it all worked out. Didn’t tally up points or anything, but remaining units looked something like this:

Me:
Both shas’els
2/3 fireknives (in center)
4 stealth (in center)
4 stealth (in center)
9/14 kroot
Railhead (in center)
Railhead
Ionhead (immobilized, 2 weapons missing, crew with soiled suits)

Him:
Boss and enough nobs to make 50%
All three Zzap guns and crews

After the very beginning, my opponent was kicking himself for not taking my offer for playing at Gamma level. I still think he’d have made things much more difficult for me if he’d have moved his Boss and friends to the center after flaming my firewarriors and kroot. As it was, they got tied up chasing some fairly unimportant units.

Thoughts on my units:
Troops did ok. Firewarriors did a number on the truk…I was pretty pleased. Kroot were very helpful, too, despite several fleeing early. Again, the squad on the left getting flamed was a little iffy, and the kroot in the center getting 2 kills out of 20 attacks was pretty poor, but shooting alone cleaned out quite a few baddies that first turn.

Stealths didn’t get much chance to shoot at stuff, but they did well at what they did shoot.
Fireknives….those missile were pretty handy. The plasma didn’t help much against the AV11 kans, but if he had moved his Boss to the center, those plasma guns would have been invaluable.

Hammerhead/Ionheads: Always winners. The ion cannon was pretty handy for shooting at the truk on turn two, despite the failure to kill/immobilize it. Got two damage rolls…can’t ask much more than that.

Commanders: Fusioned a kan at one point, killed quite a few nobs in one round of firing. Not too important considering how the fight went, but would have been my only hope if I needed to kill the Boss and his buddies.

Let me know what you think. It was a fun game overall, and I was pretty pleased with the list overall.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 06:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Battle Report 1500 Tau vs Ork Take and Hold Omega

Sounds like you did a very good job over all. Nice fight, good tactics and you pulled a solid win despite some bad rolls. Well done, nice way to win one for the Tau. Its always good to show people that the Tau are just stupid hooved weaklings as many seem to get that impression for some odd reason... no gun in my army is below strength 5, they dont think its soo important at first but then...

Your list is also pretty solid, you have a good firebase for your army to operate around, I would suggest using DFs next time as even if you dont use them in deployment they can clear your Firewarriors out, have bursts and 2 drones, coste only 100 points fully kitted and can block the enemy from assaulting. Not bad if you ask me.

Old 24 Oct 2005, 06:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

GJ on the win! It sounds to me like the guy knew how to make a good army list, but the subtleties of combat were a little beyond him. Just like an ork! :P

In the future, A devilfish for a fw squad or two can really come in handy. Even when I just want to sit my fw's down, I use the fish as a wall of sorts to block assaults, as well as to tank shock anything that comes close. Then, if they're still coming, the fw's pack up and leave as the kroot charge forward. After packing up, the fw's can scoot and shoot any units which might have been thinking about joining the fray with the kroot, allowing the kroot to safely finish off whatever got in.

Congratulations on the win, you really showed that guy that tau aren't pansies, and can be quite frightening to be on the recieving end of!
Old 24 Oct 2005, 07:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wow...look at all the shots the skimmers took without one of them blowing up! Hell, even the imobilised one took a boatload of powerklaw hits. Those things are TOUGH. I think a space elf skimmer would have fallen to pieces in that situation... ;D

Anyway, great report.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 24 Oct 2005, 14:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes, the skimmers took quite a lickin' and kept on tickin'. I think what really happened was the ionhead was stunned on round 6 and got the immobilized/klawed to pieces on round 7, after which he gave up. That would account for the lost time, and add even more hits that it survived. The turn it was stunned, he even got to walk around and assault it from the side! Towards the end, I mentioned something about trying to get his Boss towards the center to contest it, but he just wanted the moral victory of killing that stupid tank.

His rokkits usually missed the center guy, or failed to pierce the armor. The guy on the right just got too close to the zzap guns, and I was too dumb to move him away because I wanted him to shoot right away if he survived a round. The REALLY impressive part is I never once had to use my decoy launchers, despite all those glances. He, on the other hand, was counting the number of hits his vehicles were taking....never had his armor plating work out of 20+(?) hits? I have to admit luck wasn't helping him much in this game.

As for the devilfish, it's ok and all, but I don't see it being worth the 100 points, at least not in this list. It would mean giving up something else....a shas'el or kroot squad, probably....and I'd rather have them.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 17:06   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Would seekers missles help with the df?
Old 24 Oct 2005, 17:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Considering I have no markerlights, seekers wouldn't help

Seriously, though, that's a part of the problem. Seekers would be ok, except now I'm adding a 100 point d-fish, 20-30 points in missiles, and then I'll need to fit something with markerlights into the list...

Overall, I was pleased with all my units this game, so I don't forsee any major changes. So far, the experimentation with a high percentage of kroot has been fairly successful, despite a few losses here and there. Really, the desire to make sure a 112 point kroot squad didn't rally tied up his 300+ Boss and retinue, effectively taking them out of the game.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 20:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

That 100 point DF can really be worth it though.

I dont know why you have a second el in your army... it doesnt seem to be very fluffy. A little shaving here and there can free up space. You are fielding a full 3 Hammerheads after all and a fair amount of suits. Maybe you should experiment with transports and infantry roles some more.

Old 25 Oct 2005, 00:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Maybe you should experiment with transports and infantry roles some more.
Not to seem rude, but I've played Tau pretty much exclusively since they came out, and I've played with all sorts of lists, so I've had a lot of experience with mobile/hybrid/static, etc. I understand the comments about the devilfish are meant to be helpful and learning to make next time go better, but I think the firewarriors did great. They killed a truck and removed (for all practical purposes) the cybork unit from the game. Mission accomplished for that 120 point unit, anything after that would just have been gravy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
I dont know why you have a second el in your army... it doesnt seem to be very fluffy. A little shaving here and there can free up space. You are fielding a full 3 Hammerheads after all and a fair amount of suits.
Fluff concerns aren't a real concern of mine. Fluff-wise, most Tau units should probably have drones floating around them, too. They're not worth it, so I don't take them. As for what the 'el bring to the table that the devilfish wouldn't, for example, is anti-marine/anti-monstrous creature firepower. You're correct that a devilfish can be handy and all, but I think this list needs a little more high-strength/low-AP punch, and a second 'el is the best way to get it. Again....if he had parked that Boss and retinue on the center instead of chasing the left flank, I'd either shoot up his buggies and leave the Boss with the middle, or kill the boss and let the kans and buggies off the hook. The devilfish doesn't help stop either, but the shas'el can help kill either threat.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 00:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Drones are actually very usefull and I always have a few floating around somewhere in my lists. Also a mobile Firewarrior unit with massed firepower could have done as much damage and your list has 3 hammerheads, you dont need more high str low ap weapons. Really you dont. Its over kill after a certain point.

I think you should challenge yourself into trying to make a more fluffy list, this one is geared to win thats true but you can do the same thing and still be fluffy. Drones and Devilfish have their places and can make back their points in any number of ways. If you have played Tau that long you should know but as far as I can see you have tweaked your list far too much. It is now rather unreal. You have a fairly large number of suits and heavy tanks aswell as HQ, yet I see no fast attack and the troops are stripped I see no upgrades to them at all. Yet shas'ui and bonding can really power up Firewarriors and upgrading the kroot with armor works great aswell. Try focusing on the troops some more or it would seem as though you are drifting towards power gaming which in my oppinion isnt good.

Closed Thread