Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Showing Weapons/Armor
Closed Thread
Old 23 Oct 2005, 20:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to gego_cybor1
Default Showing Weapons/Armor

Hi im sorry if this is a noobish question but I would just like to confirm something.

Recently I played a guy who had tons of upgrades on his units but didnt use them all. Example: Giving firewarriors EMP but not including them in the army list and therefore not using them. Another example is giving crisis suits twin-linked every weapon and he just glues them all over his crisis suit but on his army list only puts twin-linked plasma. So I guess its fair except that his guys are fully loaded with everything but he doesnt use it all... I never put something on a model that I dont include on the army list.

Is this allowed? If it is im going to start putting stuff on but not use it...

Thanks in advance

Join the Tauonline Runescape Clan!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?board=90.0
I'm a Leader
Old 23 Oct 2005, 20:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Re: Showing Weapons/Armor

It's usually frowned upon in things like tourneys, where everything has to be wysiwyg. I would find it annoying to remember which weapons he was using each game, but personally make no big deal about it. I'd probably want to write down what each unit has on it.

In less formal gaming, it's up to his opponent to decide whether or not it's ok. In tourneys, however, they probably won't let him do that. The fw's with grenades are ok, but crisis suits with millions of weapons are probably not.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 20:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think the point of putting all the weapons on a Crisis suit is so that he can use them for anything without having to glue, break, and reglue every time he switches configuration - if that's so, show him TOs tutorials on magnets and pinning, the idiot realy seems to need a clue... :.

As for the EMP-throwing arm, give him a bit of a break there - it's just so his models have some origionality and arn't all boring clones.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 21:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by gego_cybor1
Is this allowed? If it is im going to start putting stuff on but not use it...
Thanks in advance
NO NO NO!!!!!! that is a BAD idea! u will not be able to use those models in tourneys (which you will eventually want to) and they will look like they were made by a seven yr old. This fad must be stamped out at its roots before they start selling modeling tape at the GW stores! Using RE mags on your suits is not as hard as it sounds and will earn you some points with the local gaming community. That lazy-tard you talked about is obviously talentless.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 21:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Yes, giving people breaks is good...

My first squad of FW's has photon grenades. I don't pay for them and never use them... If I end up needing them, I have failed.

... Its on the box! Glue a "grenade" (extra ammo?) to his right buttock!

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 23 Oct 2005, 22:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I glued grenades onto all of the Firewarriors I constructed and even had a few with cocked arms but I rarely use them, they are on my mounted squad but even then they have never proven usefull. But on Firewarriors it matters not. Its their guns that matter, grenades are pointless, just having them there whether you use them or not is hardly a problem. The guns on the crisis suits deffinetly are. If he wants to swap weapons then he should use magnets or stick them on with putty or something, otherwise thats bad and would generally be illegal.

On marines and Tau and any army that uses them having the grenades on the model is not a problem, few tournies I have been in will fuss if grenades arent shown glued to the waist of a model. Nevertheless I always put them on just because they look good. Since its not obviously apparent that the grenades are there it doesnt affect the game and opponents dont factor it in. A weapon clearly on the model like a bolter strapped to their back would be questioned. The only thing I do odly is I have a target lock on my Shas'Os left shoulder, I dont use it but its there to hide a seem because the plastic didnt line up right. So the shield on his right shoulder, target lock on the left and a carbine glued to either side hides this seem very well. I didnt have the tools to bend the plastic so it was all I could do. Besides its not a gun so people dont have a problem with it.

Old 24 Oct 2005, 03:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to gego_cybor1

Hmm thanks for the info everyone.

I think I am going to put photon gernades on my FW and maybe one emp arm...even if I dont use them...

I shall be using RE magnets for the crisis weapons.

If I see that guy again Ill refer him to this site

Thanks again!

Join the Tauonline Runescape Clan!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?board=90.0
I'm a Leader
Old 24 Oct 2005, 06:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Apparently the grenades on FW represent either EMP's or photons, though i'm unsure. It's not specifically written anywhere or anything. As for crisis suits, see the conversion board stickies, though I find that the weapons fit in place fine once their painted, without glue or magnets or anything.

As for the original question - depends really if you play strict WYSIWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) where everything on the model is exactly as it is in the army list. Most people are fairly leniant about this, except for when it comes to tournaments. Though it would help not to glue them in and to have them represented appropriately. As long as all the players know whats happening.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 06:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

IIRC GW's official ruling on this is that just because you have something modelled on doesn't mean it has to be used in the army list...conversely, anything you use in the army list must be modelled on

tho most people go a little light on this (especially on things like my wolf priest...he has a plasma pistol modelled on...solid cast piece, you see, and i don't ever use him with a plasma pistol...he does, however, have a holster modelled on)

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 24 Oct 2005, 07:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, ditto my metal Dark Angels sergeants. Some have powerswords and boltpistols, some have plasma pistols and chainswords. I prefer to give them all powerswords and plasma pistols if I have the points...after hacking up one model to change the pistol for a tournament, I just gave up. I use what's represented in tourneys now.

I'd say if it was modeled on, but it's not mandatory in the codex, then you don't have to pay for and use it if you don't want to. If it's not modeled on, but you want to use it, get to work! As for grenades, there are so many metal models out there that have grenades modeled onto them that it's pretty muh universal that grenades are not WYSIWYG.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread