Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Immortals with veil of darkness..... possible solutions...
Closed Thread
Old 23 Oct 2005, 19:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Immortals with veil of darkness..... possible solutions...

Hi my fellow...i had a game with a necron player yesterday...

Necron are not a big problem.... they are slow, i can destroy the monolith with some lucky Railgun shot, and destroyers can be eliminated too...

The real problem is a unit of 10 immortals \w lord with Veil of darkness...
He can catch me averywere in the table and fire an incredible amount of shots...
The immortals are r5 ta3+ and they reroll come back dies... it's almost impossible to destroy this unit with the tau weaponry.... How can i do!!!
I have to do a rewin with this player....

My list is the follows

1 Shas'o fireknife
1 Shas'el fireknife
2 Fireknife crisis
2X6 stealth units
12 FW \w devilfish
6 FW
7 Gun drones
12 kroot + 4 hound
2 Railhead

Give me some advice to counter this terrifyng unit!!
plz... :'( :'(

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 23 Oct 2005, 20:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Immortals with veil of darkness..... possible solutions...

My suggestion, load up your DF and HHs with Seekers, 3 or 4 each. Then upgrade your two FW squads with an 'Ui with a ML and the Stealths to Team Leaders with MLs. Give 'em all TLs if you want. Then use those MLs to send out the Seekers on those Immortals. If you can possibly muster a pathfinder squad, this'll be easier. That's really the best thing I can think of to deal with them. They at least won't get thier armour saves, and you're not wasting all of your firepower that should go to other things (like the HH), esp. if you can give the Markers.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 21:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Because they are toughness 5, you can forget about instant-killing the immortals to death. Railguns won't kill enough of them to make it worth your while.
Get together all the ion cannons, plasma rifles, fusion blasters, seeker missiles, and even missile pods you can and throw them at the squad all at once. If all 10 immortals fall down, it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to get WBB, and they'll all be dead.

Wait for him to teleport away from his other unit of immortals (if he has another unit of immortals) and then throw EVERYTHING at that one unit. That's how to get rid of teleporting immortals.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 22:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Make your Shas'O take a fusion blaster, HW the Multi.

Trade out the Shas'El for an Aun.

Hell, thats me...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 23 Oct 2005, 22:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Just an amusing, though highly unlikely possibility:

Keep all your fleshy targets near board-edges, but in terrain, so that the only possible way to shoot them is to shoot them from behind their cover, in an area of clear terrain, which is in between the board edge and said cover. When the unit teleports down and wastes your unit, take a few skimmers and shock him closer and closer to the board edge or even box him into it and then push him off.

Hey... it could happen
Old 24 Oct 2005, 00:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Death or Glory?

You get him into the corner, and then when he's going to fall off he does death or glory for every tank that comes at him. Basically, you'll lose your tanks or he'll lose the immortals.... but probably you losing the tanks.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 00:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
Death or Glory?

You get him into the corner, and then when he's going to fall off he does death or glory for every tank that comes at him. Basically, you'll lose your tanks or he'll lose the immortals.... but probably you losing the tanks.
Only a single model may perform Death or Glory, not the entire mob of Immortals And it automatically hits, but it's only one hit, not two. So he'll need to roll a perfect 6.

Again, not a realistic option - just an amusing one.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 01:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I had no idea it was only one guy, with one shot!

I did know that you auto-hit, though.

Amusing.... I've seen armies herded around with rhinos before, boxed into a space so they couldn't get out. About 30 gaunts got trapped in a corner.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 04:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to wind777

i think eveyone is over looking broadsides instead of 2 hh tanks you can take down like 4-5 guys using broadsides then have your crisis use twinlinked plasmas killing another 1.5 so now 6 should be dead then have them marker lighted from pathfinders adn hit them hard with like 6 seeker missles to finnish them off. If all else fails use firewarriors to take down atleast one.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 04:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Broadsides will kill .625 immortals each turn... if the lord doesn't have a res orb. The last time I saw a lord without a res orb, it was when playing against someone who didn't know what they were doing. If the lord has a res orb, then each broadside will kill .3125 immortals each turn. So a squad of three will kill less than one each turn. Not the BEST way to spend 225+ points.

fw's do even worse; each fw will kill .042 immortals each turn, so 22 fws would kill .91 immortals every turn. 3 broadsides would kill .94 immortals.

An ionhead equipped with burst will knock over 2.3 immortals every turn, so even if they get WBB 1.167 immortals will die every turn from a 150 point ionhead. To deny WBB, just knock down 10 immortals at once, or kill a few before he warps and then kill what's left.