Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Drones and the 4th edition rules
Closed Thread
Old 23 Oct 2005, 14:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to shas_o_bbq_sauce Send a message via Yahoo to shas_o_bbq_sauce
Default Tau Drones and the 4th edition rules

I keep hearding people talk abuot how the 4th editions rules have banjaxed the effectivness of the drones. could someone tell me how this is? I don't see any real different unless I@m doing something wrong in the rules

Wins Loses Draws
1 2 0
Old 23 Oct 2005, 14:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Tau Drones and the 4th edition rules

Drones by themselves arent broken but attatched to squads they are. Their origional purpose was to take damage away from more valuable targets but with majority toughness and thet mixed armor saves in 4th edition this is really pretty useless now as they do not serve their origional purpose anymore and just lower the toughness of battlesuits.

Old 23 Oct 2005, 14:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Vash113 is perfectly correct.Hope for better "drone rulings" in the new codex...
Old 23 Oct 2005, 14:43   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to shas_o_bbq_sauce Send a message via Yahoo to shas_o_bbq_sauce

oh I see, well, My opponent and I just allocate the hits on the battlesuit before any wounds are rolled and roll the different toughnesses seperately. yeah but when my battlesuits get charged (it does happen) they fail because of the drones, but the increase intiative is a bonus if anything

Wins Loses Draws
1 2 0
Old 23 Oct 2005, 16:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

From what I've heard marker drones and gun drones are much the same, or at least the general drone business hasn't been mentioned - however shield drones now count as having the same T and Sv as the rest of the unit - essentially they are now just extra wounds you have to get through before you can start hurting the suits.

I suppose it makes sense now to use shield drones more (before majority T and Sv rules they seemed not as good as gun drones - who were cheap enough to sacrafice to a lascannon) with one or two marker drones (which you don't want shot anyway) and keep gun drones in their own units.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 17:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by shas_o_bbq_sauce
oh I see, well, My opponent and I just allocate the hits on the battlesuit before any wounds are rolled and roll the different toughnesses seperately...
I don't know if it is important to you or not, but the 4th ed rules are a little different than that.

Multiple Toughness (pg 23)
"... To keep things simple, use the Toughness characteristic that is in the majpority in the target unit."

So a single model Crisis or Broadside suit with a pair of Shield Drones will have an effective 3T versus shooting attacks.

Mixed Armour (pg 76)
"...
2. Determine which armour type is in the majority ...

3. Apply the wounding hits to the majority armour type first.
"

So, per the curent rules and FAQ, a unit of three Crisis, Boradside, or 3+ Stealth suits with an attached pair of Shield Drones will see the first "wounding hits" be taken by the suits and not the drones. (So if the unit gets tagged by say 2 or 3 lascannons, the suits will take the hits, protecting the Shield Drones).

That is why the Shield Drones are currently not a recommended option.

Later,
Fireblade

“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Old 23 Oct 2005, 17:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by shas_o_bbq_sauce
I keep hearding people talk abuot how the 4th editions rules have banjaxed the effectivness of the drones. could someone tell me how this is? I don't see any real different unless I'm doing something wrong in the rules
Its about Majority Armor saves/Toughness (pg 76: 'Mixed Armor")

I'll sum it up: if 12 Firewarriors with 2 Gun Drones get shot at, the Firewarriors die first, until the point where the Firewarriors and Gun Drones are equal numbered, THEN you get to choose who dies. another one is a Broadside with Shield Drones.... the Broadside takes a 25% loss *morale check if one of his drones dies....

"banjaxed" ?? * thats a new one for me.. but I did get the meaning nevertheless.. where Im from we call it Nerfed (as in made the bullets Nerf bullets.. you know: foam)
Old 23 Oct 2005, 18:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I always thought "nerf'd" was an anacronym. For "Nearly Everything's Rightly Fudged" only ya don't use "fudged" Hehe...guess the other way is more PC. Heh.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 03:26   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

you mean it's FUBAR!!
Old 25 Oct 2005, 03:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to LtCariad

Or perhaps SNAFU?
Closed Thread