Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anyone have trouble versus 'nids?
Closed Thread
Old 23 Oct 2005, 12:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Anyone have trouble versus 'nids?

Does anyone have any real problem with Nids?

I have payed several nid armies in the last few weeks and have not had a loss yet

battles have been 1000 and 1500 pts.

the 1000 point battel i have ended up wiping the nids out completely (broodlord and warrior HQ)

the 1000 point cleanse saw me finish with not nids on the table at the end of turn 4 and i had scoring models in every quarter

i play very static tau although I am not adverse to moving the warriors should the need arise (as it usually does)

just interested in other players experiences..... either I'm having great luck or my list is gonna get smacked hard against armies with higher armour.

cheers

Phelan
Old 23 Oct 2005, 12:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Anyone have trouble versus 'nids?

To try and answer your question, yes and no. Its really depended on the nid player and what army I'm using at the time. I've shot the nids to pieces on turn 3 with my orks. I've assaulted carnifexes with my HQ to put that last wound on him. Then I've had Hive Tyrants beat my boyz about the head and shoulders with the battlewagon they were riding in and I've been surprise assaulted from behind playing my Tau. It really comes down to your oponent and how well they know the army they're running. Even the most beardy of armies in the hands of a novice may not win...or it may clean your clock. Fate favores the foolish as the saying goes. But then, I'm the kind of player who would rather be defeated and come away having learned something than to win and scratch my head trying to understand how. Maybe your just having a good week or month or year or whatever, just remember, someone, somewhere has your number and is just poised and ready ter jump outta da bushes and smack yer ladz in da 'ead wiv a choppa!
Old 23 Oct 2005, 12:57   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

hehe

yeah

so far my current tau lists have wins against

NIDS (100%).. 7 games
Daemon hunters 2/3 wins
marines 2 win 1 draw 1 loss
IG 2 very nasty draws and 1 win
orks 2 wins 2 losses
no eldar or chaos yet

just waiting for my luck to change... it just seem to be on a really good thing with nid opponents is all... some are veteran players and know their lists well.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 13:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Tau shouldn't have trouble against nids. *6" are the reason. *GW does a fair job of balancing each army against the majority of other armies, but with so many out there, it's impossible to do it perfectly. With Nids, I beleive they calculate that they need to have a fair chance of getting across that 24" rapid-fire weapon range with enough models to do something worthwhile in close combat, without so insanely resistant to enemy fire that the dice no longer matter. *They've probably done an acceptable job of achieving that balance. *Tau are able to get in an extra turn of fire, though, because of those 6" I mentioned. *Generally, that means nids getting across the board with their fastest units on turn 3 instead of turn 2, meaning that tau get a 50% increase in shooting opportunities over other armies that face the tyranid horde.

Just my $.02

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 23 Oct 2005, 13:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ok, try this out; I have an Eldar skum-grod (trans: Favored enemy, often held in high regard.) whom I love playing against because he likes to see just how narrow a margin of victory he can pull off. That is my suggestion to you Phelan. Win, but do so using the smallest margin. Hold something back if your doing to well or try something new just for fun to see what happens. Winning its'nt everything, learning a new trick is.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 13:13   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i seem to see Tau and Tyranis as Arch nemesis... each is the opssitite of the other

Nids fight well but have very minimal shooting skills

Tau shoot well and only have the kroot as combat troops (currently)

IG and orks olmmost seem the be the same on different levels

guess i'll just hold my breat untill i get that major loss to a NId player and all will be right inthe world again ;D

i have been trying new stuff.. like moving my warriors around to allow for assault etc ( used to just stand and take it).... going HTH with the commander or stealthies to take a quarter.....

my mainpoint is that i used to loos a lot or get a few minor victories... now its the opposite... i gat cruching victories or hard fought draws..

get i just understand my list at last

Old 23 Oct 2005, 18:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelan
i seem to see Tau and Tyranis as Arch nemesis... each is the opssitite of the other

Nids fight well but have very minimal shooting skills

Tau shoot well and only have the kroot as combat troops (currently)

IG and orks olmmost seem the be the same* on different levels

guess i'll just hold my breat untill i get that major loss to a NId player and all will be right inthe world again* ;D

i have been trying new stuff..* like moving my warriors around to allow for assault etc ( used to just stand and take it).... going HTH with the commander or stealthies to take a quarter.....

my mainpoint is that i used to loos a lot or get a few minor victories... now its the opposite... i gat cruching victories or hard fought draws..

get i just understand my list at last

Yes tau and nids are like Yin and Yang

But nids are very very easily contered.

Mounted firewarriors and missle pods. Thats all you need. The Gaunts can't touch your warrios while slowly takeing casuluatlies and missle pods take out the tyranid warriows (AP4 does the trick).

Then when the gaunts are weak enough you FoF him and he's gone.

Stealthsuits are a useful asset as long as you keep your distance from gaunts. Fleet of claw sucks.

I haven't lost a game to nids since my second game ever a few years back (like 3).

Ther weakness is that they don't have enough long range vehicle killers. Ther carnixfexsa and hive tyrants and warrios an lictors are to slow to catch skimmers and the things that are fast can't do much to them.

The Only problem comes from portecting your Broad sides, whic by the first target of fast atack to protect the hive tyrant.
This means you must menuever around your grounded units, or just take hammer head ans have the army completely mobile.

-RailgunV42
Old 23 Oct 2005, 20:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

My neighbor plays a mean tyranid army. He's pretty tough to defeat, and always has a trick or two up his sleeve. Usually he brings a winged machine gun tyrant, 2 shooty carnifexes with venom cannons and/or barbed stranglers, loads of 5 point spine gants to absorb shots, and loads of hormagaunts to do serious damage. He also throws in a few (2-3) zoantrhopes with either catalyst or warp blast.

His army is difficult to defeat because if you're mech, he'll run down your crisis suits with spinegants and the hive tyrant, blast your skimmers down with 4 str 10 shots from EACH FEX, and generally make a mess of things. he's fun to play against, a true challenge.

However, I'd have to say that the exact opposite of the tau would either be chaos or orks. Tyranids can shoot well, often out shooting the tau. EX; the machine gun tyrant;
12 twin linked bs 4 shots.
str 5, re-roll wounds
ap5

One guard squad, ON AVERAGE, will be killed each turn from the hive tyrant. Then it assaults you... evil.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 21:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
His army is difficult to defeat because if you're mech, he'll run down your crisis suits with spinegants and the hive tyrant, blast your skimmers down with 4 str 10 shots from EACH FEX, and generally make a mess of things. he's fun to play against, a true challenge.
I am a Tau and Nid player. Venom cannon on a Carnifex is Assault X STR 10. The carnifex has 2 attacks. It does not matter if the carnifex as two venom cannons, they count as twin-linked. The trick to beating nids is kill the synapse creatures. Warriors are easily killed with our pulse rifles. Hive Tyrant just needs railgun fire. Zoans are soft like warriors. Only annoying thing is the broodlord but a submunition shot should take care of him and his genies.

If you're playing mech tau, just laugh at the nid player. Unless he has gargoyles he won't have much that can crack open your DFs or HHs.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 21:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Thats scary... shooty horde from hell as GW calls that.

I don't like being beaten on my own terms.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Closed Thread