Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

fear and the game??
Closed Thread
Old 22 Oct 2005, 12:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to flowerfall
Default fear and the game??

Ever gone to a gamesworkshop and brought your TAU and copped some pretty nasty feedback, not from your paint jobs but for how TAU is seen by most other race players of the 40k universe? Especially tyranid players??? Earlier i posted how i had to versus a Tyranid invasion and feared 3 carnifexs? I got feedback and I want to thank everybody on that. Something I felt was rather unique was the way some of manipulation tactics went, thought I would share them. I painted a small unit of firewarriors red and white, like a target. Made them Gues'ala, or whatever you call them, photon grenades and like most tactics say, use them as a screan or to tie up a fast unit, This works great on the tyranid scum. talking about how my crisis team was a bad choice and should have brought another hammerhead after gues'ala were destroyed made him draw his attention to my hammerhead. Then ripped the heck out of them with stealth suits from the flank. causing him to do the 'damned if you do damned' if you don't decision. ANd your right carnifexs are slow, the stangle web concerned me a little at first and him saying upgraded he has 24wounds all together for his carnifex's. Whether thats a rule or not they were destroyed. I find paint schemes and subtle farces of fake disapointment to gues'ala being assualted etc helped quite alot. 2000pt cleanse mission. Would have loved to have done a battle report but didn't wright the whole thing down. Anybody want to share some hints, or advice on how they have defeated a Tyranid army? Necrons? I am all ears.For the greater good. >
Old 23 Oct 2005, 11:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to flowerfall
Default Re: fear and the game??

Or i could just talk to myself? Was it that bad of a topic, just provoking some thought out there on a different kind of strategy. I know this will be on the threads, having trouble finding what i am looking for though. When is this TAU empire codex coming out? And IS Commander farsight what you consider and exception to the greater goods goodie goodie nature. How would you describe the TAU in a modern day soceity? social group? I've seen an EMO description on them.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 13:43   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Necrons... they are my big sore spot..... all the opponents o play are really cunning in there use of the lord and have an almost unstoppale army..... no wins against him yet.

Nids i find fairly easy.... at least recently since i redid the army list..... have ad great luck..... only hint i can really give is..... crossed lanes of fire and give units more than one possible target... that way if an enemy unit is wiped out you don't waste any shooting... you simply go for the next unit.... order of shooting is also something that should be carefully considered as it can mean having units in range or out depending on the position of the en enemy and effectiveness of your forces.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 15:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Ah, its good to see someone who knows that Tau are masters of manipulation. Crisis suits, hammerheads, broadsides and etherials, these always draw a lot of fire so making use of that is great.

I think you were refering to gue'vesa. And those are Imperial Guard who have joined the Tau empire.

Anyway my first battle I actually won was vs a Space Marine army. A librarian, 10 tac marines and 10 assault marines, tac squad had a rocket launcher. I had 24 Firewarriors and 3 crisis suits, the suits were all in seperate units.

His assault squad came tearing towards me which I shot apart without fan fare, one made it to my lines so I sent my wounded and last surviving crisis suite at the last man. He died but my Firewarriors then shot the assault marine. During this time the tac squad had been sitting in the corner shooting down my crisis suits one by one with krak missils. When his assault squad was gone he realized that suddenly I still had most of my Firewarriors left. His tac squad started to charge at me the librarian following them. My troops moved to the top of a nearby hill and for 3 turns dumped Fire into the Tactical squad. On the last turn they finally closed within rapid fire range and running forward I had all my survivors gun down the librarian and last two tactical marines. My opponent was very surprised, he had expected all the danger to be from my crisis suits but the Firewarriors were the ones that destroyed his army.

Thats just one situation of manipulating your foe.

Tyranids and Necrons I have no trouble with, then again there isnt a good Nid or cron player for miles around... actually I havent found any yet at all. Perhaps soon though, but for now Im fighting noobs and destroying them repeatedly to the point where they stay well away from my army. The last 4 way fight I was in all 3 of the other players gave me a huge 40" berth staying well away. So I stayed content in my little corner and ended the game without having taken a single shot or wound and actually managed to take out a quarter of the Tyranid army on a last turn rush. The necrons and nids had battled it out and this chaos player took down the last of the crons while I tore up the last nids so it ended with 2 armies at 0 remaining points and 2 with their entire 500 points remaining. A strange fight.

Old 23 Oct 2005, 17:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

what i have the most trouble against is IG. Most IG players will get eaten alive by tau but the veterans are a diferent story. If used right imperial guard can outshoot anything, even tau.

Old 23 Oct 2005, 17:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Yes, we are all about being tricksy little hobbitses...

FW's will win the day for you. Consider, if you will, a 1000 point army:

72 FWs: 720 Points

3 Broadsides: 225 Points

Aun: 50 Points

They will try to take out the Broadsides for the next few turns... while the FW mop it all up.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 23 Oct 2005, 17:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
what i have the most trouble against is IG. Most IG players will get eaten alive by tau but the veterans are a diferent story. If used right imperial guard can outshoot anything, even tau.
Well, that's because IG are a shooty army, and tau are a mobility army. The ability to pack enough lascannons to make them an effective anti-infantry weapon...is just disgusting!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 23 Oct 2005, 18:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

although not really 'fear'... my Ethereal makes a beautiful lure!

;D during deployment, I hold the Eth in my hands and say "ok, this next placement is gonna change your whole battle plan" then I place the Ethereal in a choice spot. my opponents eyes light up and really, for the next hour or so, his eyes are never taken off of that Eth..

is that manipulation? I think so, since the rhinos will beeline for the Eth, as the Aun sidesteps left or right full 6" each turn, every enemy unit drives right by say 24 Firewarriors and Hammerheads.. which is not a very smart thing to do if you look at it.. but theyre not looking.

another manipulative 'trick' (not really a trick until you start doing it on purpose) is JSJ aggravation... ;D Stealths are supremely hated in this regard. for example: I played against Chaos once, firewarriors blazing away, stealths/crisis jumping out, throwing loads of dice, jumping back behind cover over 3 turns... when the BloodThirster came out, equally distant from my 24 Firewarriors and my 6 Stealths... by that point, guess which one he charged?

I guess the hardest part of tricks and manipulation for me is keeping my attention span attenuated over 2-3 hours without losing focus. SUX being MTV generation in that regard!!
Old 23 Oct 2005, 18:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Dude, great idea with the Eth... I tend to hide mine in a DF or behind a Barricade, LOS is the best armor ever.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 23 Oct 2005, 21:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

I gave my ethereal a big banner.* A shiny banner.* You can't miss him on the battlefield.*