building a kill team
Closed Thread
Old 18 Oct 2005, 20:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG
Default building a kill team

I'm thinking of building a Tau kill team but I don't know what to include in it

any ideas or suggestions are welcome

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 21:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: building a kill team

My Kill team for Tau:
Two Tetra + Targeting array + decoy launchers BS4

7 FW in Devilfish
2 seeker missles

Crisis Suit W/Plasma and misslepod and multi-tracker= (usually taken as two seperate groups for effective shoot/hide and making other player HATE your suites
Crisis Suit W/Plasma and misslepod and multi-tracker= Total 400

What is Great about Tau is you can take your Devilfish that is exactly 33 armor.

Though you might aruge the tetras are not in the 'codex' but I generally only play Friendly games so its never been a issue.
You'll never outshoot marines with this little of points, so use your manuverbilty to your advantage. Markerlights are your friend, they'll make sure those seek missles take any vehicals they'll bring. After you've (hopefully) hit both with your BS4 tetras and taken out any vehicals your markerlights can help your crisis suits land those misslepods. Why twin link them when your going to hit on a 2+ and ignroing those cover saves? Also plasma is probly a tad over kill but needed for anything with 3+ save as they CANT bring anything with a 2+ save. As for fire warriors, just shoot and skoot. Hopefully the crisis and seeker missles have taken out most of there heavy weapory by turn 2 so you can sit back and use your 30in range to pelt at them. Also dont forget to detach your drones and harasse them with pinning fire.

I would also probly test with going kroot heavy, lot of kroot for your buck
Old 18 Oct 2005, 21:37   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

But how about Kill Teams that only involve the 5 to twelve one wound models. I believe you are talking about combat patrols PrdiG. But I was curious as to the same thing. I wasn't sure what I would do for a kill team. I figured I could take a patherfinder squad so I could have all carbines and a rail rifle to boot. There would be the negative for breaking the codex and not mounting them in a Devilfish but that would be the only break. I haven't gotten a chance to play this but when I do I will let you know how it turns out. It is a bit rough thought since I usually play space marines, (space wolves also), 'nids and IG sometimes. My first kill team experiance agianst the space wolves was horrible becuase my gundrones while killing a few of his scouts didn't do to much and they reached the objective and beat feet to get the heck out of there. I was sad :'( but not to sad I'll get my chance O0
Old 18 Oct 2005, 21:42   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

If I remember correctly, the Pathfinders were given special dispensation for Kill Team so they don't have to bring the Devilfish. Pathfinders are definitely the most fluffy choice, athough Fire Warriors or Kroot are stronger choices (since the Pathfinders pay a lot for Markerlights that they can never use.)
Old 18 Oct 2005, 21:54   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Do you really think the kroot are a good option I always worried since they aren't that tuff that they would get cut down by fire before they could do much of anything usefull. But regular firewarriors might be handy. If you play an O'Shavah army you can add the ork fighters upgrade and that would help for sure.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 22:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

For kill team, I just take a massive number of kroot. While it breaks a mutable law, it's effective and still fluffy. Stealths, unfortunately, have 3 shot weapons. You could only bring one, and then you'd be breaking a law by bringing another troop type other than stealths. too bad.... really.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 01:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Doh, i've been playing Patrol so much lately, I mixed the two up, Ignore my post.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 08:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenguin
Doh, i've been playing Patrol so much lately, I mixed the two up, Ignore my post.
U'r idea for a patrol team sounds cool anyway... but for now kill teams are what I need

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 16:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

My kill team is something like a Stealh Shas'ui, 6 FireWarriors with Photons, 2 Hounds, and 7 Kroot. It's a pretty big force and can dish out a lo of firepower thanks to the numbers+the XV-15....and can also handle itself in CC thanks to the hounds, number of Kroot, and those Photon Grenades.

Also, I made a wicked cool Nemisis out of an XV-15 and some Crisis suit parts. ^_^

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
Old 20 Oct 2005, 21:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Only problem is, you have no less than 3 choices combined into one squad, and more numbers in the squad than you should have. you're going to be facing a LOT of goons....