Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tank Hunter Crisis Config.
View Poll Results: Best weapon for hunting tanks?
Burst Cannon 0 0%
Smart Missile 6 17.65%
Plasma Rifle 2 5.88%
Fusion Blaster 26 76.47%
Flamer 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 16 Oct 2005, 20:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tank Hunter Crisis Config.

I just got my first crisis battle sut and was wondering what i should give it for tank (mainly land raider) hunting.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 20:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Spaceknight
Default Re: Tank Hunter Crisis Config.

You will be hearings alot of figurations but missle pod will be a must probally

Im dyislexic dont hate me for it
Old 16 Oct 2005, 20:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

twin linked missile pods and a fusion blaster. While approaching the land raider, you can destroy rhinos that you encounter along the way, or plink away at the troops on the ground. When the squad gets close, three fusion blasters do a number. However, broadsides are probably your best bet for destroying a land raider. They have an extreme amount of firepower vs 14 armor. A railhead will kill the landraider, in a typical 6 turn game, only if it shoots the land raider every turn. One stunned or shaken and you probably won't kill the land raider in 6 turns. Fusion blasters on crisis are kindof hit-or miss too... Heres a typical squad armed with regular fusion firing at AV 14... within 6" for 2d6 armor penetration.

1.5 hits
.875 penetrating hits
so you'll destroy the land raider .44 times, if you get within 6" of it.

You not only cannot harm the tank unless you get close, you cannot hope to take it out early... it's going to be shooting you for sure for the first few turns. Broadsides, on the other hand;
3 broadsides will hit 2.25 times
penetrate 1.125 times
and destroy it outright .5625 times.

Broadsides not only have greater range, but more firepower. Take a few broadsides if you really want to get that land raider early.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 20:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

where's the the missile pod? That's the best, unless very close up vs high AV
Old 16 Oct 2005, 21:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG

I'd say twin-linked fusion blaster and a missile pod would be best against tanks.

jump in right next to tank... fire... jump away behind trees or out of LOS so that e cannot retaliate if not destroyed...

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 21:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

missle pods are great against lower AV vehicles, but useless against landraiders, you'd have to roll a 7 on a six sided dice soooo. Against landraiders i'd say fusion them down or rail them. about a third of railshots will do something decent to it.

Old 16 Oct 2005, 21:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
missle pods are great against lower AV vehicles, but useless against landraiders, you'd have to roll a 7 on a six sided dice soooo. Against landraiders i'd say fusion them down or rail them. about a third of railshots will do something decent to it.
It's true that broadsides or HH would have a better chance to destroy a landraider (touh ****er)

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 22:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

If you want to hunt land raiders with crisis suits, your only option is the fusion blaster. None of the other crisis weapons can even hurt land raiders. Twinlink the fusion blasters, and put something cheap on the third hard point. Then deepstrike within 6 inches. You get a cheap suit that will make a darn good showing if it lands and hits. Take two for maximum effect.

Personally I find the fusion blaster to have one use: adding to commanders along with plasma and multitracker for more infantry-killing shots. Vehicles? That's why god gave us railguns.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 22:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you're hunting Land Raiders then the only weapon in that list that can even touch them are Fusion Blasters. The fact it's AP1 helps when at extreme (12") range, but when you're right next to it you'll have it extremely easy.

Until your opponant's turn comes around, of course. Being close is something the Tau tend not to enjoy!

Generally speaking you should avoid trying to take out Land Raiders with Crisis Suits - Broadsides are so much better at it. Rhinos are the best target for Crisis Suits, and twin linked Missile Pods are the most efficient at it.

~Andromidius
Old 16 Oct 2005, 23:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
If you want to hunt land raiders with crisis suits, your only option is the fusion blaster. None of the other crisis weapons can even hurt land raiders. Twinlink the fusion blasters, and put something cheap on the third hard point. Then deepstrike within 6 inches. You get a cheap suit that will make a darn good showing if it lands and hits. Take two for maximum effect.

Personally I find the fusion blaster to have one use: adding to commanders along with plasma and multitracker for more infantry-killing shots. Vehicles? That's why god gave us railguns.
I use the Plasma / Fusion / Multi and Shield gen set up, I go against the norm and use my Shas'O and El for tank hunting, i dont deep strike them as I find on most boards I can be in range 2nd turn, my Shas'O uses a Drone squad for protection (not attached) and to shoot any unit that disembarks from transports, this works really well.
Deep strike is way to risky for fusion equiped XV8's they can scatter and either die because of a bad scatter or end up to far away from the armour to be sure of killing it, also most opponents protect tanks by palcing them near cover or other units.
The Fusion is the only real option for heavier armour and when teamed with the Plasma makes a very hard hitting tough / low save unit killer and Mon creat killer, all in all a very usefull suit set up.
With the JSJ move its usually easy enough to get in range and put some distance between the XV8 and vehicle if it does not go to plan and is not destroyed.
Closed Thread