Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau comunication and travel?
Closed Thread
Old 16 Oct 2005, 21:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG
Default Tau comunication and travel?

I want to write some fluff concerning the beginning of my Tau's sept... however there are a few details I need.

I heared that the Tau communicated through the warp... if this is true, how do they do it??? ... and if it isn't true, how do they comunicate longdistance???

I also am curious to know how the Tau travel through space... Since they don't travel using the warp, what do they use???

Thanx for the help

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 21:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Tau comunication and travel?

they use a form of warp travel, they sort of glide on the edge between warp space and real space, its not like warp travel though.

Old 16 Oct 2005, 21:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Tau have barely any psychic powers... however, they are able to make short jumps through the Warp. When not travelling through the Warp, they fly though space like normal space ships. Long jumps are impossible without the "Navigator" mutation that only some humans have... for now.

A common dropship is a Manta Missile Destroyer. These are excellant in space battles and can carry one Force Organization Chart's worth of Troops. They have special finned railgun shots for long range, and lots of Ion cannons for short range.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 16 Oct 2005, 21:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Imagine that the warp is a turbulent ocean, and realspace the air above it. Now imagine forcing a beach ball into the water that is the warp; it will soon pop right back out again. The tau travel through the edge of the warp, and hold longer dives by forcing their gravity field into a "wing" shape, to stay down longer. It's not true warp travel, so it's much slower. But it gets the job done.

Tau communicate using drones. They make a warp dive, pass a message to another drone, which makes a warp dive to another drone, etc until they reach their destination.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 22:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

OK... thanx for that

so how would you call it when they come back out of the warp agan... jumpin back into real space ???

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 22:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

How they travel - normal flying, their empire isn't huge and they don't need to go long distances - everything is close enough together for them.
Communications - I would assume the usual radio communications/transmissions etc, more high tech than modern day radio comms (on the fly data encryption, they can probably send things faster using different waves etc)
Warp Travel - as stated they can only make short "blind" hops
Old 16 Oct 2005, 22:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

without using the warp... even if they could travel at the speed of light and the systems were only a couple lightyears away... it would still take years to get anywhere or years before the receiver would receive the radio transmition... That is why I was facing a little dilema before... now that I know they can use warp jumps... it makes more sense

Old 17 Oct 2005, 00:17   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

The technical term for the Tau method of inter-stellar travel is Warp Diving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ maCe
link=topic=12684.msg206445#msg206445 date=1129496711]
How they travel - normal flying, their empire isn't huge and they don't need to go long distances - everything is close enough together for them.
It takes 3-7 days to travel from the edge of a system to the core planets, so it would take years, even decades, to move between systems under conventional power. "Normal Flying" is really for making last-minute alterations once you're in system, for combat, or for atmospheric flyers.

Quote:
Communications - I would assume the usual radio communications/transmissions etc, more high tech than modern day radio comms (on the fly data encryption, they can probably send things faster using different waves etc)
Radio is far too primitive. They would use something more advanced. Probably on par with, if not better than, standard Imperial Vox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 17 Oct 2005, 00:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Messages are carried in drones on a message boat, small single crewed (or at least possible single crewed I think) that jumps into the edge of the system - fires off message bouys and jumps back into the warp (more or less). A 'interstellar postman' to the 'Astropath's email'.

The Tau don't do 'blind hops' like pre-Navigator humans, its a 'dive' where the ship partially translates into the warp and then bounces back out again. They do know where they are going, also for normal space travel their ships move using gravity fields.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 00:22   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastyfish
The Tau don't do 'blind hops' like pre-Navigator humans, its a 'dive' where the ship partially translates into the warp and then bounces back out again. They do know where they are going, also for normal space travel their ships move using gravity fields.
Yes... for a given value of "know".

Tau ships (and indeed, all ships without a Navigator) simply point themselves at the desired system, fire up the Warp Drive, and pray. Tau are slower, but more accurate. However, they are not perfect; even Tau ships can be caught out by the hostile nature of Warp Space.

Imperial Navigators can see in Warp Space, and thus can steer through it. Chaos ships, being associated with the Daemonic Patrons of the Warp, can presumably steer as well. Aside from that, everyone else (yes, even Eldar!) are flying blind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Closed Thread