Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I need your wisdom :D
Closed Thread
Old 16 Oct 2005, 19:04   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default I need your wisdom :D

I really need some tactics on using my tau to beat, drop pod marines, who will basicly start in HtH
Anyone fought them before?
Old 16 Oct 2005, 19:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: I need your wisdom :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even with Drop Pods you can't assault on the turn you Deep Strike. Thus you can just move away from the Drop Pods before they assault you, and then hit the Drop Pods with Railguns (if you lack better targets) in the hope of blowing them up and hurt the Space Marines crowded around them.

Here's a question: since Drop Pods are Open Topped, but having a Space Marine 'crew' makes them non-open topped...what do they count as when you shoot them? It states 'none' for crew, so I'm assume it's still open topped. Best to check though, since people will will claim anything...

~Andromidius
Old 16 Oct 2005, 19:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

These are what you will need.

- Mounted Fire Warriors disembarked and behind the Devilfish, preferably neer the edge.
- 20-man Kroot Squads w/ Kroot Hounds for the extra attacks and initiative.
- Ionheads and Railheads (Railheads for the Drop Pods)
- Some Crisis Battlesuits w/ Plasma Rifles and Fusion Blasters and some w/ Plasma Rifles and Missile Pods (the Fusions will do good as the marines will be in close proximity of your suits)
- Pathfinders (to insure of your Crisis suits and Hammerheads hitting with their guns)

The Fire Warriors will perform a variation of Fish of Fury, protecting them from a Turn 3 assault and having the ability to rapid-fire onto them when they drop in front of you.

The Kroot will stay in the sides, as the marines wil most likely come into the middile of the board due to scattering off the board. Then you can charge them at the flanks, using Hounds as meat-shields and a unit that attacks the marines at the same time they attack you.

The Crisis Battlesuits will be the armor-negators, killing off Terminators and such.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 19:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Ive used two tactics, take the minimum firewarriors(12) and load up on HHs and Suits, these guys are extremely mobile and can adapt for wherever the SMurfs land. Or. Take loads of kroot and firewarriors, when the enemy lands try to charge into him, since they can't assault the turn they deepstrike in(knowing GW they probably change it so marines can) you can send in your kroot. They will buy enough time for firewarriors to re-deploy into firesquads for when the marines come out of combat. and since diferent pod squads will finish combat at different turns you'll be able to focus your fire on who ever comes out first. Kroot are great against marines since you will always have 4 times as many attacks as them, and all those expensive powerfists and powerswords are a joke against your naked kroot.

Old 16 Oct 2005, 21:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
Or. Take loads of kroot and firewarriors, when the enemy lands try to charge into him, since they can't assault the turn they deepstrike in(knowing GW they probably change it so marines can) you can send in your kroot.
very true indeed. 'whatever makes SMurfs better'. ^^

On topic, I think you must simply spread out your forces, and make sure to stay close to a table edge
Old 17 Oct 2005, 02:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Here's one way to do it:

1 Commander
1 Commander

6 Stealths + 2 Gun Drones

12 Firewarriors + 2 Gun Drones
20 Kroot
20 Kroot
20 Kroot
20 Kroot
20 Kroot

8 Kroot Hounds
8 Kroot Hounds
8 Kroot Hounds

~1750 points

Then, you infiltrate EVERYTHING to cover the ENTIRE table with models, so there is absolutely no room to land a drop pod. Then when they arrive, since they can't fit on the table... they're destroyed.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 17 Oct 2005, 06:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Just spread em out over a wide area, and he'll have to land at one edge of your army. After the initial casualties, (assuming he found a PART of the table that wasn't covered, IE his deployment zone) what didn't scatter off the board or into terrain is easily mopped up. However, a list of that kind would really suffer against a normal list. One land raider and you're done when he kills your commanders.

For a normal army, the best thing you can do with your list is keep your army close together, spread out, in a part of the table with plenty of terrain, hopefully near a board edge. This will make it extremely difficult for him to deepstrike effectively without risking certain death. while waiting for his army to arrive, punish whatever is on the table, and really focus on attacking anything fast. Fast things can quickly ruin your day by supporting the dropped troops wherever they land. Slower things should be ignored.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 06:32   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

lol i just bought 3 2 broadsides... they are kinda useless against droppod armies
Old 17 Oct 2005, 06:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobain
lol i just bought 3 2 broadsides... they are kinda useless against droppod armies
wait wait, is that 3, 2, 32, or 3 teams of 2

Old 17 Oct 2005, 11:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobain
I really need some tactics on using my tau to beat, drop pod marines, who will basicly start in HtH
Anyone fought them before?
I know the pain of drop pod marines, all too well.

they can be countered. and even beaten. you just have to know how to play against them.

regarding what you should take, i would recommend being mobile, and mechanised. a static line can be easy prey for a mass assault. and once that hits, its game over for you.

the first thing to watch out for is the drop pod rapid fire of death. they cant assault, but rapid fire is as deadly.similarly, h.flamer/ass cannon DP dreads are a serious pain.

simple technique is to spread out your forces. hug the table edges. dont expose your rear armour. use the right weapons. in this case medium strength weapons (ion cannons, missile pods) are perfect for cracking open drop pods and drop pod dreadnoughts. railguns will also help and will make a nice mess of things.

staying mobile is your best defence. once they hit and unleash their rapid fire thingy (or mass meltagunny thingy) just move away, and focus fire on individual squads at a time.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Closed Thread