Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

theory on tau technology:
Closed Thread
Old 15 Oct 2005, 18:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default theory on tau technology:

this thought entered my head recently based on a complaint from someone as to why the hammerhead uses the devilfish chassis.

So, this thought mutated in my cranium:

First up is the common observation that humans, eldar, and tau heavy tanks are generally based of the chassis of their transports. Or in the case of the imperium, anything from ambulances to pyro-tanks to artillery is based off the same frame. Ork vehicles dont count here as their desing is too anarchic and wanton to really matter.

Humans, using STC technology use adaptible frames to meet most of their vehicle needs. rhino chassis to razorbacks, predators, exorcists. chimeras to hellhounds, ambulances, and so forth. you get the picture. now here is a shot in the dark: tihs concept was stolen from eldar tech (even though we don't know too much about eldar vehicles pre-fall, raider/ravager and wave serpent/falcon/fire prism all follow this concept) I see humans stealing this idea because it works, and because a lot of human tech was atolen from the necron tomb worlds, eldar and other alien civilizations. With me so far?

So, the tau come into the picture. their first steps into space. they find and imperial ship and reverse engineer their advanced FTL tech for their own ships. And somehow, the tau technology takes jumps and leaps forward.

So, my theory goes as follows: there was a remnants of an STC on the colony ship, or else desings on board that explained the concept of adaptible frames. So, not only did the tau steal imperial engine tech, they reverse engineers adaptible fram tech. And so, we get a base frame being the devilfish. variants include the hammerhead. Similarly, the old weapon loadouts on hammerhead turrets were bigger versions of XV8 weapons (epic list: alpha hammerheads) effectively making adaptible frame weapon designs. And it is for this reason amongst others that tau tech is so advanced.

its just a theory. and ashot in the dark theory. but i do so love its implications if it were even half true...

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 15 Oct 2005, 18:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Skyblazer
Default Re: theory on tau technology:

Personally, I would have said it was just GW being cheap...

Still, its an interesting theory. However, people have been adapting the chassis of vehicles for a long time now. In WW2 alone, there were about 3 varients on the sherman chassis, used for mine sweeping, amphibious assualt, and bridgelaying. The same is true for the Cromwell tank.

Whats an alpha hammerhead?
Old 15 Oct 2005, 18:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i think ill stick to the theory of GW being cheap

Old 15 Oct 2005, 18:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think it's pretty simple why Tau tanks look the same: mass production = standard designs. On a Tau Sept you can have one big factory pumping out DF chassis, then several smaller factories making the various armaments. Whereas if each tank was different, you'd need a big factory for each tank. I'm sure GW did it "to be cheap" but that's because one chassis with several variants is cheaper than several different tanks. Tau simplify everything, really. So what's the simplest way to make several different tanks? Use the same chassis. Also, you don't need to do as much training for pilots and mechanics. The thruster controls are in the same place, the fire controls are in the same place. the FW that can drive a DF can drive a HH. Maybe not as efficently off the hop, but he knows the controls. "This lever makes it go, this button kills things. Just like my old Devilfish!"
Old 15 Oct 2005, 19:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblazer

Whats an alpha hammerhead?
i know it can be explained other ways. indeed most military vehicles are based off similar frames. But i just love the notion that the tau stole their whole "feel" for technology from a broken imperial ship.

And an alpha hammerhead is a hammerhead with twinlinked heavy plasma rifles, fusion cannons, missile pods or long range burst cannons - these being the so called "new" armaments which are in actual fact, the oldest hammerhead weapon mounts.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 15 Oct 2005, 19:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, they certainly stole warp tech from them (like you said) so it's possible. However, it crashed on a moon of T'au, I always figured it was a colony ship, that wouldn't have much in the way of tech info...unless it was one of the early AdMech ships...they never say...
Old 15 Oct 2005, 20:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

An interesting theory but I dont think so, and not just because it makes the Tau leech off the Imperium.

As far as we know the Tau had at least prototypes of the Devilfish, Hammerhead, XV8, XV88 and XV15 when they went into space the first time. Also the Tau were cut off from the Imperials until very recently, they would have been well into space and using tanks and versatile weapon mounts for a long time already before the warp storm went down and Imperials made contact again. We know they reverse engineered the warp tech but thats the only mention of them doing so and there are no suggestions that they have done so before, or even again after that.

The entire way of the Tau lifestyle is that everything works together, the XV8 can mount a staggering aray of differant weapon configurations, 3 hard points with 5 weapons and 4 support systems means a lot of differant possible outfits. This technology they have been using for some time, when they decended on the kroot worlds it shows an Aun with a jet pack decending with a crisis suite on either side and this happened before the Imperials made contact. Remember the early Tau movements did not use any warp tech so they probably didnt even know about the storm until it fell and Imperial ships started showing up.

Its possible that they uncovered an ancient source of STC but I sincerely doubt it, after all the first contact with the Tau was made by a colony ship which was the first to arrive, which means that there shouldnt have been any Imperial ships there before. Plus the only ancient ruins mentioned were on the Artifact worlds and those werent human.

On the other hand, perhaps your theory is half correct. Perhaps the Tau did get the idea somewhere else, just that somewhere else wasnt the Imperials, perhaps it was from whatever race had previously inhabited the artifact worlds.

But anyway I dont think it came from the Imperials, the time frames dont really allow that to happen. Its possible, but it seems an immense stretch.

As for the Imperials taking the Idea I dont think they did either. The STC was made before humans had contact with the Eldar, as I dont think the Humans had fought or even contacted the Eldar before the fall and after that Humans were taking the STC, not stealing other races ideas. So if thats so then all 3, Tau, Eldar and Humans developed modifiable chasis' seperately, its a pretty common concept really and not one thats hard to think up.

As was pointed out its simple economics. Instead of wasting time and money building two types of chasis' build one and give it exchangeable parts to turn it into another. This idea was around a long time before it was adapted to tanks, it was this idea that made interchangeable machine parts screws and nails, gun parts, etc. Eventually every race (well not orks, they just slap wheels on metal and bolt guns and an engine on) would come across this and probably come up with the same sollution, but of course all in differant uses. The Rhino chasis is significantly differant from the Falcon chasis, which is very differant from the Devilfish chasis and all operate under differant principles, rhino is a tredded tank, the falcon is anti grav, the DF is a mix betwen VTOL and anti grav.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter.

Old 15 Oct 2005, 20:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i doubt anyone stole the idea of anyone, i mean the fact that devilfishes and HH have the same body in real life goes to show its not a new idea, why should GW make two molds if they could just have one.

Old 15 Oct 2005, 20:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Remember also that it makes it alot easier to make modular tanks - meaning GW actually loses money off us by doing that.

Well, I say 'lose' when I actually mean 'doesn't get any more'. In a way I think that makes it worse in GW's eyes...

~Andromidius
Old 15 Oct 2005, 20:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromidius
Remember also that it makes it alot easier to make modular tanks - meaning GW actually loses money off us by doing that.

Well, I say 'lose' when I actually mean 'doesn't get any more'.* In a way I think that makes it worse in GW's eyes...

~Andromidius
Be that as it may there are a lot of mech Tau armies, meaning a lot of tanks, modular or no. The price of us making the tanks modular is not outweighed by the costes of a differant mold on a differant production line. Having a product in production is expencive and making use of the same mold for multiple things cuts this coste greatly. Its worth it for GW even if we do make tanks modular, and you always have some people that are to lazy to even bother or dont know how to modulate their tanks. The actual number of exchangeable tanks I have seen is relatively small. It seems more like something veterans do than the average player. Considering the amount of stuff veterans buy, well good customers are good customers and GW is getting the income one way or another, the vet isnt buying another tank because hes modulating but he will probably buy something else.

Closed Thread