Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battlereport: Tau vs Black Templars 1500 pts
Closed Thread
Old 14 Oct 2005, 16:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Battlereport: Tau vs Black Templars 1500 pts

OK, battle report. templars vs my tau. I'll do it in a more original style than in normally seen. what you get following will be a pre-story, "dynamic" army lists and then a "dynamic" battle report. enjoy! and we were playing take and hold.

Shas'el mont'ka'vre completed the final pre battle checks of his huge XV8 battlesuit. His plasma rifle, and missile pod were in perfect working order and system checks for the multi tracker were showing green.
Suddenly, he heard a voice in his com-sys:
"Shas'ui Kais'shi, all systems go"
"Shas'ui Ka'tan, all systems go"
"Shas'ui Kais'ka, all saystems go"
Mont'ka'vre nodded in acknowledgement. He heard their eagerness for battle. felt it within himself too. THe rear hatches of the Manta began to open as they neared the drop site. Moving to the brink of the hatch, Mont'ka'vre gazed down upon the shas'ka Demlok, the place where reports had said a raiding party of black templars had been sighted.
His cadre were manoevering into position. Upon receiving word from pathfinder scouts, they would engage their quarry. He waited. seconds passed. his pulse quickened. his temperature rose. And then the signal.
He spoke briefly. "Shas'ui. spread out. Hold the area".
Without a word, the other shas'ui dropped from the manta, gravity pulling them down mercilessly. Shas'el Mont'ka'vre too would follow, but only at the right time. to him, and to his squad of stealthsuits, fell the mont'ka.

High Marshall Cassius tore down the great canyon upon his bike. Following in his wake were 3 tactical squads, 2 moving, one holding station to give cover fire. He hoped such a small force would draw the xenos filth to battle. He smiled grimly. In reserve, were a squad of his own terminators, and a small force commanded by a grey knight grand master intent upon some mission unknown to him and the land speeder Victus. Suddenly, he heard the wail of anti grav engines and saw a phalanx of tau armoured vehicles cross over the cliffs opposite his force and sink slowly, menacingly towards the ground. 3 suits dropped from the sky landing behind cover. He smiled. Battle was joined. With out a word, he gunned his bike forward, as his 3 squads took up positions. Standing alone to his right strode the champion of the emperor, utterly fearless of those that faced them.

Shas'ui Ka'tan and his wingman landed behind a ruined building, still smoking from some unknown battle. He grinned. the shas'el and picked the ground perfectly. 2 packs of kroot had infiltrated the canyon ahead of the tau armoured force. He spotted the huddled forms of one pack in the ruin ahead of him, waiting the right time to reveal themselves. He knew the others would be in the woods to their right, holding that flank. A deafening rorar filed his ears as 3 tau hammerheads, and 2 devilfish tore up the canyon to his right. the shas'el and the stealthsuits would arrive later to deliever the mont'ka.

turn 1:
the tau armour swept to one side, driving up the templar left flank, giving line of sight to the 3 infantry squads. both railguns barked and deadly submunitions rained down onto 2 squads of templars. One held its ground, but the other, with a number of dead brethren lost their heads, and charged forward to engage the xenos. the deadly "whizz" of the ion cannon was a quiter sound than the railguns, but no less deady. the crisis suits jumped forward, and all launched their opening missile salvos before jumping back behind cover. In response, the Tempalrs loosed a krak missile at one tank but it missed, crashing into a massive stone pillar to its right. the kroot in the ruins then took their opportunity, and loosed a volley at the squad. High marshall cassius, infuriated at the blasphemous aliens, gunned his bike and tore up the centre of the field. And almost oblivious to the chaos of battle, the emperors champion strode through a wood, sword raised high, prayers upon his lips as he prepared to deliver the Emperors justie to the heathens.

turn 2:
In a blinding flash of light to the left of the field, 5 templar terminators suddenly appeared in front of the kroot. seeing the aliens, they let rip with a mass salvo from their stormbolters. 3 kroot fell, but they held firm. seeing the terminators, the kroot readied themselves to take the fight to them, but one stumbled at the last moment and they were forced to remain at the endge of the ruins. the imposing forms of the emperors mighty loomed over the dozen kroot. behind masks devoid of emotion, each smiled evilly. the alein* filth would pay. a krak missile flew over the scene and impacted into the side of the ioncannon hammerhead, sending reeling to its right. ignoring him, the other 2 tanks manoevered, splitting - one to the left, one to the right. a submunition rained down on a squad of templars, forcing them to the ground. 2 devilfish, given the chance zoomed forward, their rears facing the cliff, and hosed the templar squad with their burst cannons and drones. the last templars of the squad were toen apart by this final salvo, and fell to the ground, dead and broken. Seeing the grand marshall tearing down the field, the right hammerhead centred him in its gunsight. the railgun barked once. the marshall swallowed the slug, and was no more. nothing remained of him, bar atoms, and some small shreds of flaming cloth. seeing their champion fall, the third squad of templars raced forward, eager for vengeance, joining the emperors champion and readied for combat.

turn 3:
the jets of shas'el mont'ka'vre and the 5 stealthsuits were heard as they entered the fray. However, at this time, the final plan of the templar grand master fell into place as the grand master of the grey knights, his terminator bodyguard, a grey knights troops squad flashed into existence on the right of the canyon, facing the stealthsuits. a land speeder came screaming into the canyon, levelling out inches from the ground. a krak missile flew, stunning one of the railgun toting hammerheads. a salvo of missile from the crisis suits impacted into the squad sending another to the arms of the emperor. On the right flank, the kroot opened up into the grey knights troops. 2 fell dead, victims to head shots. between the stealthsuits and the remaining grey knights, there was no contest, and all 5 stealthsuits were torn apart in a hail of gunfire, their broken bodies falling to the ground, their blood painting the scene. all the weapons of both devilfish chattered and a bumber of marines fell from the squad with the Champion. Mont'ka'vre and kais'ka too levelled their weapons and 2 more of the marines fell, upper torsos melted by their plasma. but the rest of mont'ka'vres shots wnet wide, as the devilfish to his left exploded in a massive fireball, courtesy of the land speeders multi melta. 3 fire warriors fell in the blast, the remaining five too shocked and stunned to do anything. the emperors champion and the remainder of his squad took advantage of this and charged the reeling commander, tearing him apart in half a dozen strokes. On the left flank, the 5 terminators, heroes beyond compare took aim at the kroot with their stormbolters. letting rip, the sargeant expected all the kroot to fall. Only one did. Screaming his fury he and the others charged into the body of kroot. but they stood firm, and fought back. the sergeant fell with a kroot blade that somehow peirced his armour. One fell when a kroot held his rifle's muzzle to his visor and opened fire. Another fell as 3 kroot jumpred him, tore off his helmet and then was decapitated. the other two were engaged in a swirling melee with the other kroot. lashing out blindly, one kroot fell, a broken mess. menacingly, the other kroot circled these two, and one more was brought down when the kroot made another lunge, a victim as the kroto casually sent their blades through all the weak points of his armour (he rolled nothing but 2s for his shooting to hits and wounds. i forced two 1s from termie armour saves, and 2 more from them being outnumbered). the remaining erminator grimly faced the screaming mass of bloodthirsty kroot.

turn 4
the remaining terminator was torn down in a tempest of blows from the 10 kroot remaining. he screamed as akroot tore both his hearts out and started feasting. both crisis suits jumped out, and fired missile pods at the land speeder, hoping to down it to save the fire warriors trapped in the wreckage. but it was to no avail as they merely caused the speeder to shudder. they gazed helplessly as the emperors champion walked through the wreckage. With 5 strokes of his black sword, as many fire warriors fell dead. a hammerhead zoomed forward, targetting the land speeder, its railguns barked, and its burst cannons chattered incessantly. the railgun missed by inches but the burst cannons tore a pattern across the side of the speeder. the spdder was finally downed, as a luck burst cannon shot caused its engiges to shake and violently explode, as well as a single shot entering the cranium of the meltagunner. the hammerhead on the right flank along with the surviving devilfish manoevered, moving forward. a mass salvo of burst cannon fire tore through the squad that had joined the emperors champion. the fire warriors dismounted and rapid fired their volleys into the one marine who still stood after this. the squad was dead, but for small gain. the champion still stood. on the right flank the kroot raced forward eager to engage the grey knights. in a flurry of movement several kroot were hacked to pieces by grey knight nemesis weapons, though the remaining kroot dispatched the other 3 knights, in a manner as violently similar as on the left flank. their blood boiling, they then consolidated into the grey knights entourage. on the left flank the kroot, covered in the blood of the terminators aimed at the last remaining templar squad, and sent one more to the emperor.

turn 4
the hammerheads and surviving devilfish raced forward to the centre, bypassing the champion. roaring his defiance he made to strike the hammehread but missed with each stroke. the grey knigh grand master, and his entourage tore through the remaining kroot, tearing them limb from limb.

Epilogue

A sudden hush fell upon the battlefield. Grand Master Ezekiel looked around. Only he and his entourage survived of his own forces. he cursed the rabid and foolhardly templar commander for drawing their forces into this bloodbath. Victory here was a hollow prospect, and his forces, now depleted would not be able to complete their mission. reluctantly, he pressed the button of his teleporter homer, and he and his squad vanished into the immaterium.

the tau vehicles raced forward. Of their foe only 3 still stood on their right hand side. they manoevred to the left, each targetting one of the few templars that still survived. the CHampion of the emperor stood back, and then fell to his knees as he watched the final scenes of the battle played out. his lips moved to speak the litanies of the fallen but a noise behind him forces him to alertness. rising and turning almost simultaneously, he beheld the silhoette of one of the tau crisis suits. the last thing he saw was the blinding flash of plasma.....

the devilfish alighted to the ground as the shas troopers moved out. 6 formed a perimeter, glancing nervously at the smoking husk of the fallen champion, his blade buried in the hul of the destroyed devilfish. the other two ran to the fallen form of the shas'el. One pressed a small control panel on the outside of the ruined suit, and the chest opened up. Gazing inside he saw the form of the shas'el. one strike of the black sword had pierced his leg. his left hand was severed at the elbow from another stroke. but miraculously, the commander still breathed, albeit in a shallow raspy breath.
"the fio. call the fio. prep the emergency medical bay" commanded the shas'ui.

THE END...

Impressions:
OK, storywise, i am not going to kill my commander. he has to live on to fight many more battles for me. ;D So, myapologies for the deus ex machinae ending. other than that, i hoped you enjoyed my dynamic battle report.

As an analysis, i was facing an inexperienced player with a few glaring mistakes in his army list. one being it was black templars, and it had no land raiders. the other being it had no dreadnoughts, or rhinos....
Still, it was a fun game for the two of us. him because it was his first in 3 years. mine because i won, and yet again, i saw my kroot cause utter chaos.

OK, units of the game were my 2 kroot units. One took out probably 6-8 marines, and 5 terminators. 300 points odd. and the other took out 160 odd points of grey knights. and each of my kroot units cost me a mere 105 pts. spectacular game for them, and one squad had only been fielded once before. the squad that took out the 5 termies needs some terminator head battle trophies....
Units that did not perform were my stealths and my commander. i used them wrong. they deepstriked and landed bady. his GKs deepstriked and landed in the perfect position to take them out. using them for a mont'ka was the theory, but it did not work out. further testing must be carried out to determine how best to use them.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 14 Oct 2005, 16:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Battlereport: Tau vs Black Templars 1500 pts

Very good report. I like the narrative style. Just because a model is removed from play does not always make it dead. I use the same commander every time. He has died more times than I can count. I just say superior Tau medical technology has revived him once again. My opponents laugh at that and we move on.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 17:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to ~PathFinder~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~PathFinder~

Interesting....
I like the style you chose to write in.
hmmmmm..... interesting....... :P
---------------------------------------------------
Old 14 Oct 2005, 19:35   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Very nice. You have some good story telling genes in you somewhere down the family tree I'm sure. And you say that you always have good success using Kroot against Space Marines? My army is in the planning stages, and originally I didn't plan on using Kroot. But the more I read up on other people's strategies...they seem very good for the points cost. Did you take a Kroot Shaper...and in generally, do you usually take the shaper or use the points elsewhere?
Old 14 Oct 2005, 19:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I usually write a normal battle report and then a fluffed report but this works well. Good job on the win, too bad your deep strikers didnt work well, thats why I dont deep strike.

Personally my commander (Shas'O Ximoro'An) hasnt died yet. Somehow, someway he always lives. There have been times where he was one of 12 survivors in extremely bloody kill fests. Invulnerable saves have kept him alive more times than I like to think and he also tends to stay very close to the enemy, in fusion and rapid fire plasma range. Go figure, he does his job and survives to tell the tale.

Your kroot did exelently, in cover kroot rock. I just dont play on boards that have any terrain that would be good for them, at least not yet anyway.

Im slightly confused about the Grey Knights, as I read it it sounded like there was a squad of 5 Black Templar Termies, some Grey Knight Termies, the Grand Master and a Squad of regular Grey Knights, or am I reading that wrong?

Old 14 Oct 2005, 20:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Excellent report! I always enjoy reading BRs like this.

Did your Kroot have armor? How many per squad?
Old 14 Oct 2005, 21:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

He had 150 points of kroot, so you do the math....

Gj with the kroot, deadknight, although that was REALLY lucky to kill termies with them.

Deepstriking has it's uses, but stealthsuits are best infiltrated when the mission permits. If stealths deepstrike closer or farther from the enemy, then they'll either end up dead or useless. Commander's are up to you... I have had terrible luck getting them to come in at all, and even when they do they tend to scatter and die. A mont'ka with scoot and shoot fishes backed up by hh's is probably best.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 22:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
He had 150 points of kroot, so you do the math....

Gj with the kroot, deadknight, although that was REALLY lucky to kill termies with them.

Deepstriking has it's uses, but stealthsuits are best infiltrated when the mission permits.* If stealths deepstrike closer or farther from the enemy, then they'll either end up dead or useless.* Commander's are up to you... I have had terrible luck getting them to come in at all, and even when they do they tend to scatter and die.* A mont'ka with scoot and shoot fishes backed up by hh's is probably best.
210points, technically. 2 squads of 15.

deepstriking went well, scarily compared to my previous experiences. my boys have a habit of flying into squads, or as in the case of my commander, doing flybys off the table....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Very nice. You have some good story telling genes in you somewhere down the family tree I'm sure. And you say that you always have good success using Kroot against Space Marines? My army is in the planning stages, and originally I didn't plan on using Kroot. But the more I read up on other people's strategies...they seem very good for the points cost. Did you take a Kroot Shaper...and in generally, do you usually take the shaper or use the points elsewhere?
I didnt take a kroot shaper. the armour upgrade is useful for ld8. but in general, i find squads of 15 perform quite excellent for me.
I would always recommend kroot. Sure, i've been disappointed by them in some games. twice they've been heavy flamered to death by drop troop h.flamer sentinels but in general they cause too much chaos to leave at home.

typically, they pull back about 150% of their points on a good run. 70 points of them kills 120points of fire warrior. Sometimes they do spectacularly. 105 pts of them killing 250pts of fire warrior and devilfish. 105 pts of them killing 160pt of grey knights. 105 pts of them killing 300pts of black templar troopers and termies. and so forth.

and charging with kroot is always so much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Im slightly confused about the Grey Knights, as I read it it sounded like there was a squad of 5 Black Templar Termies, some Grey Knight Termies, the Grand Master and a Squad of regular Grey Knights, or am I reading that wrong?
tooled up grand master. 3 termie bodyguards.
grey knight teleporter squad plus incinerator.
5 templar termies.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 14 Oct 2005, 23:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Ouch, now that is an awefull lot of points in just 9 models, one group of termies can be devastating, more than that is well.... just better hope the enemy doesnt have a lot of plasma rifles.

Old 14 Oct 2005, 23:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Ouch, now that is an awefull lot of points in just 9 models, one group of termies can be devastating, more than that is well.... just better hope the enemy doesnt have a lot of plasma rifles.
I once fought grey knights in a similar way. my friend had a team of geared up super grey knight terminators with a grandmaster and all the bells and whistles like 300 points worth of stuff. I had a fusion cannon........... ;D

Closed Thread