Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The sad but true story of a GW playtest servitor ( New Tau Codex )
Closed Thread
Old 13 Oct 2005, 05:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default The sad but true story of a GW playtest servitor ( New Tau Codex )

Ok I'm finally going to tell the story of the events that transpired in april this year when I was still a playtest servitor for GW.

I was blissfully unaware of the magical "6 month" rule regarding new releases, and upon reflection, it is the company's right to decide when info is let loose.

Anyhoo, I had just spent 3 months ( with 2 more to go ) painting my new Tau army when I found out that we would be playtesting a new Tau codex.

In my excitement I started a thread that told about the coming release AND I also said that I would not give out any details. Given the rumors about the Black templars being playtested ( which they were ), I thought that simply letting the word out about what we were doing without telling any specifics would not violate the NDA that I had signed. Oh how wrong I was..

When the post I started got picked up by other forums ( specifically the late Portent.net ), it made it's way around the world and someone at the GW studio got wind of it and the poop hit the fan.
They were all in a tizzy over who was responsible, and as soon as my techpriest saw my TOL user name he knew it was me. I had to go in and delete all of my posts, and refrain from any further discussion

They decided to suspend not just me, but the entire Winnipeg playtest group from any further Tau codex playtesting, and ordered us to delete any copies of the V1 codex we had. Considering no one else had anything to do with the "leak", I think they over-reacted a bit. I responded by quitting from any future playtesting ( who cares about rules that are not official? Or a job that does not pay anything?- **GW gets a lot of work out of people that do not get paid for their time !).

So here we are in October and everyone knows we will be getting a new codex in the spring of '06!

I just wanted to say that you heard it 1st here on Tau Online!!

BTW I still will not be telling about any new rules that I saw- I am still bound by an NDA and I will be honoring it.

original post: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=6258.0
Old 13 Oct 2005, 05:31   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: The sad but true story of a GW playtest servitor ( New Tau Codex )

Wow.* I sort of figured you got collared when the posts disappeared, but I had no idea it was that bad.* I'm sorry you went through so much just to keep the rest of us informed.*:-[*

Personally, I think GW owes the rumor boards big time anyway.* It is free advertising, after all, and I can't really come up with any ways it is hurting them.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 05:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Khanaris:

that is exactly what I was thinking, what harm is there in getting everyone excited about something without giving away any details?

Especially when they will profit by it.

:
Old 13 Oct 2005, 05:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Hey, nobody ever said large corporations were smart. This is just one case of big companies failing to recognize free advertising. Its sad that they get so worked up about something that would only increase sales.

Old 13 Oct 2005, 06:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

It's like what happened between GW and Blizzard. Blizzard's like; hey, we want to use space marines, tyranids, and eldar in this new rts we've got planned. GW gives the go-ahead.

At the last moment, GW says; oh, wait, my mistake; you CAN'T use them. Sorry. Blizzard re-does all the skins, slightly changes up the units and how they perform, and gives us Starcraft; the most popular rts of all time.

D'oH! :P

Seems they still haven't learned.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 06:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

You have to consider that a leak that early can quickly drain anticipation away from potential costumers. I think the same thing happend with Ogre Kingdoms. It was leaked early, and when it finally came out most of the excitement around them had already died away. Not to mention that some people had grown an animosity towards GW for releasing them. GW wants to keep its costumers, us, in a fever pitch around their products because then more people will buy them. And IMO I think the same thing is happening with Black Templars, sort of, they haven't been released yet, but once GDUK was over the main buzz was about Tau and vespids, not the rapidly approaching BT's.
These rumor forums do help, but they can do damage too. When the first plastic Genestealer pic was leaked many people started complaining about the look, but most of it was because of a bad picture, which made the head and hands look oversized. And the same thing happend with the plastic terminators. Once the pics got leaked from GDLA people were complaining that they were not cooler than the GreyKnight Terminators. I believe the sculptors were particularly annoyed by this because they were being criticized over what amounted to bad pics of their un-finished works.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 07:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I continue to be amazed by the characterization of GW as a "large corporation". :

General Electric, Daimler Chrysler, these are large corporations. GW feels and acts more like a lemonade stand being run by the local D&D geeks. I mean, their sculptors kick ass, but the business side? Amateurs! Rules and Fluff writing? Half-assed!

GW is dwarfed by WOTC in sales, business know-how, customer relations, you name it. Hell, even their (chainmail) models are cleaner. Only thing GW has going for it is a superior game concept. The execution of their great idea (40k) as a tabletop wargame leaves much to be desired.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 13 Oct 2005, 21:32   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

GW is the company we all love to hate. We may not like the prices...or their policies...or their rules, yet we sink $100's (and for some people) thousands of dollars a year into the company. My only concern is that sometimes I feel like GW is not really in touch with their clients. I mean, without us nerds, geeks, and scholars buying their products they would merely be selling scrap plastic and metal. Sure, we all love the game (well, maybe not LOTR) but I am sure I'm not the only person who feels alientated by some of their policies and pricing. I still think that if they charged less for miniatures...they would actually make more money because we would all buy alot more and more people would join. Several of my friends admit that it is only money that is holding them back from playing. So what's better...10 guys paying $100 or 50 guys paying $50. Well, I guess we either accept the good with the bad...or take up snooker.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 21:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG

It's true that allot of people I know havn't started playing WH because of the prices, instead they just decide to forget it even exists. In Switzerland, the prices are exceedingly high and they keep on going up

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 22:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It really is a shame. I play Starcraft, but I'd play it even more if it was 40K.

Sorry this happened to you, I bet many people out there would love to get a chance to be a play tester. After hearing from you I can say I don't see the point of it. The only benefit would be to influence an army developement, and even then it wouldn't be a lot.

Sorry, but you did a good 'job' informing us