Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

XV Battle Suits - what weapons are best
Closed Thread
Old 13 Oct 2005, 00:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default XV Battle Suits - what weapons are best

Right now on all of my xv battle suites I just have plasma rifles and missle pods. Are there any veteran Tau players that could tell me what the best combo is?
Old 13 Oct 2005, 00:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to LtCariad
Default Re: XV Battle Suits - what weapons are best

I'm playing the role of Malveaux here:

There are a few threads regarding that subject. Try a search or check the great site: http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/...bj/Crisis.html

The answer to your question: It really depends on what their role will be in your army, and on what kind of opposition you'll be facing.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 01:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.moe
Right now on all of my xv battle suites I just have plasma rifles and missle pods. Are there any veteran Tau players that could tell me what the best combo is?
Hello Mr. Moe; Good to have you aboard.

We recently had quite a rash of questions almost exactly like this. So perhaps look around in other threads and also don't be shy to try the Search button. It can be pretty accurate when you specify to search only Tau and to search up Crisis Suit and Configurations as key words.

Otherwise, definitely check out the Important Topics sticky. In this thread, which is always on top for your convenience, you can find a good assortment of ready-to-go articles which may already have what you seek there. These are generally updated often as things come up.

Anyhow, poking into the Important Topics, there's two links there that may help you out:

Best Crisis Configurations For?
Commander Crisis Suit Configurations

Both are more of a collection of opinions and experience, not necessarily hard proof or mathematical efficiency.

Also, a recent thread we had on the subject:

Power of the Crisis Suit

However, here's probably the best advise that I can think of to give you:

Configure your Crisis Suit to be best at what you want it to do.

That being said, think of it and look at your options. If you want to use your Crisis Suit to "do it all" so to speak, then take a look at weapon options which grant you the ability to cover two of the main types of forces in the game, light and heavy armor and light and heavy infantry. These aren't the only things possible, but just as an example. If you want your Suit to really conquer your enemy's tanks, take those weapons. If you want to really pour damage into infantry, there are weapons for that too. One thing extra, if you take multiple systems, your Crisis will be less accurate and not accomplish much outside of luck (not to say this is a bad thing). Some however, prefer to make sure their suits are the best they can be at their job, so they take a twin-linked weapon which best suits the role of the crisis suit in the army and they stick to it.

For example, I generally like to separate anti-tank roles into my army so that no single unit is relied upon to do all the tank busting duty, from light armor to heavy armor. For me, a Railgun is the only thing that will punch in the face plate of heavy armor but the Railgun is overkill for light armor, so instead, I like to hit that with Missile Pods. However, on the other hand, the Crisis suit could easily use Missile Pods to destroy almost any tank from the side or rear, after deep striking. It's all a matter of the game at hand and your style of play. In that example above, I would be taking Twin-linked missile pods and a target lock, just to be clear.

Anyhow; take a look at your army, see what gaps need to be filled. Then take a look at your opponent, think about what you want your suits to do against them, but in combination to your army. Configure them accordingly.

Also, if you haven't started building yet; check out this handy article on how to build your crisis suits with magnets so that you can swap weapons around whenever you feel like changing up and trying new things! Magnets on Crisis Suits.

Cheers!
Old 17 Oct 2005, 18:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

crisis suits with pr, mp, mt- 65 pts

Old 17 Oct 2005, 21:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to wind777

Actually the best config for the crisis that i have found is. TL plasma and shield generator or target lock. You mainly want them to take out infentry that have really hight saves such as termys ect. And the crisis fill this role nicely with there 2foot range and twinlined plus if they get too close you can take out like 4 guys easy. while your firewarrios take care of the light armor and your broadsides and hh take out the rest of the tanks and such.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 00:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

A twin linked plasma rifle can only be more sure of hitting one troop. Two seperate is way better than 1 twin linked... two = TL on a Crisis.

Missile Pod and Plasma Rifle is pretty good. Stealthsuits are for infantry, but if you are facing hordes or lotrs of soldiers switch out the PR for a Burst Cannon. Missile pod is amazing.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 18 Oct 2005, 03:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You can also use the XV8 Tactica Performance Simulator now that it's up and working again. Hopefully for good this time!
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 18 Oct 2005, 03:46   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i don't think there is a best combo .. it all depends on the opponent you face ... against marines i'd go with plasma/burst/missile ... the missiles can take out some lighter armor, or hit marines while they're still comfortably distant from you ... the plasma negates the save and goes rapid when they get too close and the burst just adds shot quantity when they're in range ... against nids or orks i'd use burst/flamer/drone cont. the burst and flamer are murder on hoardes and the drones give you a chance to pin them, since it might be tough to wipe all of them out before they reach your lines ... everything has its place and its just all your own preference and depends on the enemy you have at the time
Old 18 Oct 2005, 07:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to wind777

I think the missle pod is useless vs spacemarines. First 2 shots fired 1 hits then 1 wounds and then there is less then 1/2 the chance of it actually hitting. To be more exact the plasma is farbetter where you fire one miss fireanother hit wound and kill. Maybe vs another tau player or vs thing that have +4 save but for the rest the missle pod is kina useless i mean you fire 2 at a tank with 12 armor 1 hits and then you need 5 to glance and 6 to pen thouse are odds i dont really like.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 15:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind777
Actually the best config for the crisis that i have found is. TL plasma and shield generator or target lock. You mainly want them to take out infentry that have really hight saves such as termys ect. And the crisis fill this role nicely with there 2foot range and twinlined plus if they get too close you can take out like 4 guys easy. while your firewarrios take care of the light armor and your broadsides and hh take out the rest of the tanks and such.
Must you exagerate so? Even three rapid-firing burning eye crisis suits will not kill 4 terminators. 6 shots with rerolls makes 4 wounds, not 4 kills. Do the words "invulnerable save" mean anything to you? Normally, three rapid firing burning eyes will kill 3 terminators. Outside of rapid-fire range, one or two. Yeah, that's a really great crisis suit :

If you're going to get up close and personal, and my suits always do, you're better off with helios suits. Both suits have the same chance of killing a terminator within 12", 83% per suit, and the same chance of killing a marine within 12", 125% per suit. But the maximum number of kills is higher for helios, 9 versus 6. Also, the helios can pop AV14 vehicles, but the burning eye cannot.

It is true that the burning eye will do better at 24" than the helios, due to being twinlinked, killing 0.6 marines per turn or 0.42 terminators, versus the helios's 0.42 against marines and .28 against terminators, but none of those numbers are worthwhile. To get your money's worth from these suits, you have to get within 12", and if you get within 12", you're better off with the helios.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread