Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The One-Unit Bunker
View Poll Results: Which unit would you put into the bunker?
Fire Warriors 14 30.43%
Kroot 4 8.70%
Ethereal 2 4.35%
Crisis Battlesuit (s) 0 0%
Stealth Battlesuits 0 0%
Broadside Battlesuit (s) 18 39.13%
Commander 3 6.52%
Gun Drones 0 0%
Other (with telling what) 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 12 Oct 2005, 21:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default The One-Unit Bunker

Here's the situation.

It's a coverless board, but there is one bunker on your side of the table with enough space for one unit and one unit only. If you are playing against Ultramarines with balanced shooting and assaulting, what unit would you put into the bunker and why? Remember that a bunker gives a 3+ cover save to whatever is inside it.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 21:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: The One-Unit Bunker

I dont see the point of this but my choice would be Firewarriors. Everything else would not need cover. I dont use kroot or gue'vesa and the battlesuits can JSJ over the bunker and the tanks, are well tanks. Besides I wouldnt even need the bunker, if its a coverless board my enemy has no cover, Id love watching them try to advance under my unhindered fire. Thats just my opinion though.

Old 12 Oct 2005, 22:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

The point is for determining what would need extra protection to keep them alive. A Kroot falls to a Lasgun easily from lack of a save, and a Broadside is often a Lascannon magnet (in my experience), so that 3+ cover save can come in handy sometimes. What you vote for would be what should get the greatest amount of protection to be more efficient.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 22:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Depends, personally I would have Broadsides in it as I play mech usually and this is the one unit I might take that isn't fast and protected, with the crisis suits behind it.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 22:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

"Other" - Pathfinders

By putting Pathfinders into a bunker, my opponent usually panics and tries to go after them, leaving the rest of my army relatively unscathed...
Old 12 Oct 2005, 22:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would say 3 Broadsides. Since I've had so many Lascannons shoot at it (which has required me to take a Shield Generator), a 2+ save and 3+ cover save will save it from Lascannons and may make it become ignored by the opponent. Plus. With a Multi-Tracker, you can fire the Smart Missile System at anything that tries to go inside the bunker and assault you.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Old 13 Oct 2005, 00:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Broadsides, or kroot, depending. If my opponent had few weapons capable of destroying the broadsides, they'd be in the open. Otherwise, they're in the bunker.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 00:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to ~PathFinder~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~PathFinder~

the hammerhead, of course!
just kidding.
Although you may find it odd, I'd put an ethereal in there.
NO PRICE OF FALIURE BABY!!! OH YEAH!!!
---------------------------------------------------
Old 13 Oct 2005, 01:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Nothing says "Bunker" like 3 Twinlinked Railguns and 3 Smart Missile Systems. Especially on an open board. It will probably be a magnet for fire from everything on the board if it is the only terrain there, but that only means that the rest of your army can attack pretty much unmolested.

Definitely a full unit of broadsides.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 01:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Behemoth
The point is for determining what would need extra protection to keep them alive. A Kroot falls to a Lasgun easily from lack of a save, and a Broadside is often a Lascannon magnet (in my experience), so that 3+ cover save can come in handy sometimes. What you vote for would be what should get the greatest amount of protection to be more efficient.
This is similar in some ways to the "What unit is most valuable" thread (or whatever the exact title was), except this one is less clear. Based on your last sentance, the obvious answer would be kroot, as they have no save at all, and would therefore benefit the most. However, you tossed in the fact that we were fighting marines in this scenario, which I then take to mean you also want us to consider the usefulness of the unit. Kroot suddenly become much less useful. The usefulness of pathfinders would depend on the rest of the Tau list, so who knows if they would need to be protected. Commanders (ethereal and shas'el/'o) are independant characters, so unless we're talking about a one unit army, they're safe as long as they're behind the unit in the bunker.

Basically, I don't see how anyone can answer this question, as what you're asking is too vague/unclear. I have no qualms about making a decision on what unit is most effective/important/whatever, but your situation here doesn't let me understand what you're really looking for.
Closed Thread