Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Quick question about O'shovah
Closed Thread
Old 12 Oct 2005, 20:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Quick question about O'shovah

it says in the special rules for him that any unit in a tau army led by O'shovah can increase their WS and I by 1 at 5 points per model, does that include himself? Because a WS 6 tau would be pretty cool.

Old 12 Oct 2005, 21:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Quick question about O'shovah

I'd say technically yes...but no.

Old 12 Oct 2005, 21:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Legally, you can. But since he already has +1 WS and I more than a normal Shas'O, it doesn't seem likely. I think it might be legal though. It's a little shakey.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 21:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
it says in the special rules for him that any unit in a tau army led by O'shovah can increase their WS and I by 1 at 5 points per model, does that include himself? Because a WS 6 tau would be pretty cool.
Nope you can't upgrade him sadly. The key to this being the stipulation is "any Tau unit led by O'Shovah". Although theoretically he does lead himself, though that does not apply in terms of models, hence you can't do it.

That said it's one of those things people are unsure of so you may be able to get away with trying it if you so wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 12 Oct 2005, 21:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Led basically means any unit when O'Shovah is in the army, so I believe you can upgrade him. WS6 would be useless, but the extra initivative might come in handy.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 21:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I would say no. I dont think you can change the equipment on special characters. It doesnt say you can give him any gear, his equipment is pretty precise, XV8 Crisis Battlesuit, shield generator, plasma rifle and Dawn Blade. There are no other gun upgrades or anything else in his profile. The Ork Fighter is a special rule for the character, it says that "any Tau unit in an army led by O'shovah may..." To me I interpret that as saying that any Tau unit under O'shovah may take the upgrade, I mean 5 more points for a WS 6, I 6 character seems very overpowered. I doubt that is what GW intended.

I would say ask GW. Or since Im sure most players dont know about O'shovah much that you could get away with it, but that wouldnt be sportsmanlike.

Old 12 Oct 2005, 21:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
I would say ask GW. Or since Im sure most players dont know about O'shovah much that you could get away with it, but that wouldnt be sportsmanlike.
Is it as bad as having 3 Wraithlords or 6 Carnifexes? You would basically be paying for the initiative, since the weapon skill would not matter much, except when your opponent assaults you, which would be pretty uncommon unless it was a Wraithlotd or Carnifex. O'Shovah can be gunned down pretty easily against some armies, so I wouldn't call giving him an upgrade unsportsmanlike. I would just call it cheap.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Old 12 Oct 2005, 21:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Technicly interpreting the rules in your favor by making stretches is unsportsmanlike however its done, but look at it however you like. Plus O'shovah really should be getting into close combat, its what he does and most players underestimate that. If you play O'shovah and dont get him into close combat its a waste.

Just because other armies power game doesnt mean we should use that as a justification. Thats just lowering ourselves. We dont need to do that.

Old 12 Oct 2005, 22:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

What you stated is true. We would never want to stoop to their level, as we would only be lowering ourselves. But if I used Farsight, I'd just put the upgrade in the roster and remove it if the opponent thinks it is illegal. That seems fair.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Old 13 Oct 2005, 15:14   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah, but it DOES seem like nearly every other race will argue for hours over 1 stupid rule.........but hey life's un-fair
Closed Thread