Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The sad fate of the Pathfinder
Closed Thread
Old 12 Oct 2005, 14:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to LtCariad
Default The sad fate of the Pathfinder

I find that this is a unit that very few seem to have anything to say about, more than the usual "I never use them", "Too expensive", "Use them to mark for...". Why is that? Isn't there anyone out there who use these cool little guys? And if some of you do, do you ever field them with the rail rilfles and let them fight rather than just mark?

Besides, they are one of my very favourite units when it comes to appearance. They are just beautiful.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 14:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: The sad fate of the Pathfinder

They're Firewarriors that can't take rifles. Need I say more? Also, they cost 12 points. You're paying for the markerlight, so why not mark with them? That's their job.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 15:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to LtCariad

Just let me clarify: I'm not saying you shouldn't mark with them at all. I'm just wondering if they may work well with rail rifles. Maybe I was a bit unclear about that.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 20:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I find they work good with the Railrifle. Its a AP 3 weapon (Die SMurfs Die) and if you have 2 Pathfinder groups they can mark for each other. 6 dead smurfs a turn! Me likey!

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 20:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Doesn't work quite like that. Since the Markerlights and Rail Rifles would fire at the same time, only one team could mark for the other, since the 2nd team's Rail Rifles would have already fired.

Odd, I know, but that's how the game mechanics work.

~Andromidius
Old 12 Oct 2005, 20:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yeah, what drom said.

I personally like to have 8 markerlights per turn. 4 of them generally hit, which is great for my full set of helios suits. 5/6 of the plasma hits, and 2/3 of the fusion? scratch 6-7 marines! Or, before the helios suits get in range, I can have half or more of my stealth team hitting on 2+.with 4 lights hitting, that's 13 S5 hits. Or, 4 markerlight hits can mean 2 railguns and 2 seeker missiles hitting on 2s. bye-bye, land raider.

If it absolutely positively has to die before your opponent's next turn, pathfinders make it happen! BS5 for any unit in your army, on demand. It's magic, baby, magic! ;D

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 12 Oct 2005, 20:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This is definitely set to change with the new codex though - Devilfish being able to take SMS, new markerlight rules meaning one hit can boost an entire squad (though two to get them up to BS5) and them being able to take a teleport homer for battlesuit drops combined with their free move at the beginning of the game.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 20:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCariad
I find that this is a unit that very few seem to have anything to say about, more than the usual "I never use them", "Too expensive", "Use them to mark for...". Why is that? Isn't there anyone out there who use these cool little guys? And if some of you do, do you ever field them with the rail rilfles and let them fight rather than just mark?

Besides, they are one of my very favourite units when it comes to appearance. They are just beautiful.
Heya LtCariad

Actually, it's only recently that we haven't been talking excessively about Pathfinders. However, should you use the Search feature, you will find a large number of threads and articles that may just inspire you to do something with Pathfinders, you know, dust them off and get them a go again. I personally didn't enjoy Pathfinders in 3rd edition, but 4th edition revitalized them for me. They're not a sure-fire game winner, but they're definitely something worth using now and then. They're not the bumb leg that so many like to think of them as.

Anyhow, here's a collection of my thoughts on the Pathfinder matter, for now anyways, with some discussion on using Pathfinders in general, using them in an alternative sense and also the use of seeker missiles (or some ways to):

General Pathfinder Use
Seeker Missiles (possible uses)
Alternative Sense to Use Pathfinders

I too love how they look. Pathfinders really embody the idea of Tau to me, in many ways.

Anyhow; I encourage you to use them and keep them handy! They're a great unit that deserves more attention

And on a side note, if you'd like to see mine: Mal's Pathfinders.

Cheers!
Old 12 Oct 2005, 21:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm not a fan of Rail Rifles. The more markerlights you have, the more Plasma Rifles, Missile Pods, Ion Cannons, and Railguns will hit. They are a support unit, not an offensive unit. Besides, my Pathfinders will probably be put into storage if GW releases the Tetras in the new codex.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 21:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Behemoth
I'm not a fan of Rail Rifles...
Not even if they can target something different than what the rest of the Pathfinder's are Marking?
(not a fan of Rail Rifles, then I am guessing you may not like the Sniper Drone Teams either)

Quote:
... Besides, my Pathfinders will probably be put into storage if GW releases the Tetras in the new codex.
Then I guess they won't be going into storage.

Later,
Fireblade
“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Closed Thread