Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau are Dead
View Poll Results: Are the Tau going to get comsumed by the Hive Fleet.
Tau Die 1 100.00%
Tau Live 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 12 Oct 2005, 07:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8
Default Tau are Dead

I was just wondering, how are the Tau gong to survive the onslaught from a TYRANID HIVE FLEET??? There is a picture in the 40K Rulebook and Codex:Tau of a Hive Fleet and a big arrow poiting to the Tau Empire. I personally think the Tau are screwed, because they are in the direct path of a Hive Fleet. Maybe the new Codex will give information on it, maybe not. Do you think the Tau are dead?

Aquila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 12 Oct 2005, 07:56   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Tau are Dead

http://www.tauonline.org/fluff_comingofkraken.php

This pretty much sums up how I think it will go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 12 Oct 2005, 08:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila_XV8
I was just wondering, how are the Tau gong to survive the onslaught from a TYRANID HIVE FLEET??? There is a picture in the 40K Rulebook and Codex:Tau of a Hive Fleet and a big arrow poiting to the Tau Empire. I personally think the Tau are screwed, because they are in the direct path of a Hive Fleet. Maybe the new Codex will give information on it, maybe not. Do you think the Tau are dead?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Aquila
Not likely. They will suffer big losses, but if I remember correctly the arrow represents a splinter fleet (I think the hive fleet in question broke to multiple splinter fleets). If Tau use warp based communications they should actually have a ideal way of detecting movement of tyranids due to shadow of warp so they might actually be able to track Tyranid movement, and organize some sort of naval strikes against them. Tau ships are getting better and better, and they might be able to negotiate allies for naval actions (Demiurgs, possibly some ork clans, maybe imperials.)

I guess itīs another bloody war, but they should pull through it.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 09:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8

Thanks for the story Wargamer, but I still think Tau are dead. Don't the Tyranids plan their attacks and stake-out the planet for many years, and then attack swiftly and suddenly from the ground and the skies? If so, the tau will be slaughtered. Also, don't Tyranids evolve to beat their prey? Tau might have a chance of winning, and if they do survive, they will be vulnerable to extinction from other races, due to the massive casualties inflicted by the Hive Fleets. But even after all this, they will probably still pull through for Fluffs/GWs sake
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Aquila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 12 Oct 2005, 09:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the Codex it looks like the Tyranid Attack doesn't quite cut through the heart of Tau airspace.* D'yanoi is the only Major Sept in trouble. Honestly, I'd be more worried about Pech than any major Tau planets.
Tyrehire

Edit: Upon closer inspection it looks like they are heading straight for the Artefact World 'Landfall'. A coincidence, or something more?

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 12 Oct 2005, 13:09   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

this might not be the answer youre looking for but i dont think tau are dead, as far as i know they killed of the squats cuz they had a small fanbase and gw felt it was unprofitable to continue the line( this is only from memory please feel free to correct) while tau have a medium fanbase + the possibility of attracting anime/srw fans.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 13:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
I was just wondering, how are the Tau gong to survive the onslaught from a TYRANID HIVE FLEET???
Board and destroy the ships in deep space rather than waiting for them to land on a planet. Tau FTL is unaffected by the shadow of the warp, making this a legitimate strategy.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 13:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Well, they obviously won't die in the fluff because GW doesn't want to get rid of the Tau.
That's why they have only a few splinter fleets hitting Tau space. As has been said, the Tau will suffer great losses, but will survive. I see it going pretty much how Wargamer shows in his story.

Now, if it was a proper Hive Fleet, then the Tau would be swept away with no chance of survival. If it was Leviathan, then the Tau would be swept away before they even realised what hit them. Leviathan has so far claimed hundreds of worlds including Gryphonne IV, a world which is probably far more heavily defended than Tau itself and a world that would hold weapons and technologies that far surpass that of the Tau. Gryphonne IV lasted 3 days, just 3 days!. Leviathan is now deep inside an Ork empire and they are now currently fighting it out.

So, the Tau will survive a few splinter fleets. But If a real Hive Fleet was to ever hit in the near future, they would be doomed. But one isn't going to hit, because GW obviously don't want to wipe out a race that sells as well as the Tau.

' Board and destroy the ships in deep space rather than waiting for them to land on a planet'

Imperials have done this and still lost hundreds of worlds. Its not as simple as that. Plus, Tau just wouldn't perform well in the close environs of a Hive Ship, with Nids coming out the walls at them etc. Marines do this job for the Imperium and even then it is very rare and almost a suicide mission, Tau don't perform well in a situation were they cant dictate the flow of the battle, withdraw when they want etc. Plus I doubt they would be able to mentally cope with the horrors of a Hive Ship for the most part.

The Tau would perform quite well on land as they evacuate most none military personnel early (relatively easy to do for Tau due to their small populations on planets). Nids typically work on a planet by having things like Hormoguants and Ravenors rounding up the population, its almost like a sheep dog with a herd of sheep. They continue to do this until the population is focussed in the last few defended areas and then they send in the slow moving things like Carnifex to crack open these places. Once this is done, its easy picking for the Nids.

Now with the Tau, they don't hold defended positions, there won't be large numbers of Tau to round up. They are also very mobile and would be able to dictate their own movement rather than being forced into it by the fast moving Nids.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 13:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I personally think that the Tau will certainly live. Why? The kroot, nobody has mentioned the kroot yet. Eating the flesh of Tyranids the Kroot could evolve to be the perfect weapon against those nasty bugs. Plus the Tau guns are very good at killing the little swarms and it the round up method would not work, at all. The Tyranids would have to find a completely differant way to beat the Tau than its methods against other races.

Once the Tau engage and destroy some of these splinters I dont think they will have a problem in the future. Sure a full hive fleet could whipe them out, but GW most certainly isnt going to do that. Tau sell very well, everybody seems to love the anime-esque look. *shrug*

Old 12 Oct 2005, 13:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

'The kroot, nobody has mentioned the kroot yet. Eating the flesh of Tyranids the Kroot could evolve to be the perfect weapon against those nasty bugs.'

Nope. There is fluff on that.

A band of Kroot stalking some Guants through the woods. The Shaper senses something in the Nids and tries to tell his Kroot not to feed on the Nids once they are dead, he senses how it would be catastrophic for his race. I think it ends along the lines of him hoping he has enough control over his troops to stop them. I'll try and dig it out, it's in a WD somewhere.

I think it was something to do with the fact that Nids do the same thing and are far better at it, It would corrupt the Kroot, possibly make them more Nid than Kroot and allowing the Hive Mind to control them? It doesn't really give details, but it does say that it would doom them [along those lines anyway].