Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A Tough oponent for the Tau
View Poll Results: Which army do you think is the toughest oponent for the Tau?
Eldar 7 7.78%
Chaos 9 10.00%
Tyranid 7 7.78%
Ork 0 0%
Necron 47 52.22%
Dark Eldar 0 0%
Space Marines 13 14.44%
Imperial Guard 3 3.33%
Daemon Hunters 2 2.22%
Witch Hunters 2 2.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 11 Oct 2005, 19:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG
Default A Tough oponent for the Tau

I'm curious to find out which army is thought to be the hardest to defeat.

Please state why you chose a certain army and what you think the best tactics would be to defeat it.

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 19:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: A Tough oponent for the Tau

I said Necrons and Tyranids.

With Necrons, they are so hard to destroy that you need to hope they make a mistake (or in my case) be a god awful tactician for you to mop the floor with them.

The Tyranids, if swarming, are often too fast to destroy all of them before they get to your front door. Mechanized versus swarming makes it easier, but still not as easily as some other armies. With Carnifexes and Hive Tyrants, the Tau's low amount of heavy firepower will make 6 Carnifexes be near impossible to destroy. The only hope of killing it before Turn 3 are Broadsides, which will be annihelated by the Carnifex because of lack of mobility.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I voted for Imperial Guard (veteran specificly) and Witch Hunters.

Imperial Guard are an army that used right can out shooty us... without power gaming. Veteran IG armies can be tough nuts to crack 4+ armor and good leadership and skills, though they lack numbers thats not always bad. Large numbers means they are harder to keep in cover and easier for us to kill since with 5+ armor, well ap 5 and all... yea. But IG veteran armies and sometimes mech armies can smash right through us, soaking up our fire and returning it in kind aswell as managing to keep on our heels relatively well. My last fight with veteran IG was a rough bash that ended with over 70% cassualties on both sides. My cassualties are normally between 5 and 30%, 70 for me is rediculous.

Witch Hunters, well they have the best basic infantry in the game point for point. Cheap marines with larger numbers and stubborn abilities, with those faith points, lots of close up weapons and flamers and good leadership these nuns with guns are very nasty to face. Fighting them my goal is not to kill them, just to stop them. Blocking them with a wall of gunfire, forcing them to break and fall back some, I know they will likely be coming back but if I can keep them falling back and returning I can continue to whittle their numbers. But never do I imagine just blowing them apart outright, it just doesnt happen. Marines can be downed with massed concentrated fire, sisters just soak it up and there will be more coming. Marine armies can be target prioritized well, sisters it doesnt matter, if one unit soaks the fire another is surviving to reach you and do the same damage. Sisters are just plain nasty to fight.

I personally have an easy time with Tyranids and Necrons. Railgun subs on massed small infantry I dance around the larger stuff, forcing them into the maws of my heavy weapons in a place and time of my choosing. Eliminating the enemy piece by piece and focusing my fire. Necrons all I have to do is shoot the fast stuff with my troops, down the heavies with my rails and then scoot around the troops shooting them with whatever I can but never risking anything to get a shot. Destroying them is not nececary, attrition to force a phase out or simply take objectives while they slowly come after, either way the points win out in the end.

But thats just what I have found, perhaps with the player makeup in other areas its far differant.

Old 11 Oct 2005, 21:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Necrons are just a pain to try and kill. Eldar, especially Biel Tann, are evil. They have really fast HtH that can hit our lines on turn two and that can hunt down crisis suits with ease. Skimmers are just evil.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 00:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to ~PathFinder~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~PathFinder~

yea I voted eldar first and then necrons, nekies are just damn hard to kill, but eldar are too darn fast!!! I was paying too much attention on the skimmers, and the avatar assaulted me!!! :'(
---------------------------------------------------
Old 12 Oct 2005, 01:25   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

necrons!!

Nids i can deal with...even the big ones.

but its hard to win against a player that has his entire army stand up again each turn no matter what you shot it with.

Old 12 Oct 2005, 13:15   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm kinda new, but i thought that if ur strength is twice as high as the enemies tougness they are killed ouright, and i thought that when necrons are killed outright the cants roll to ''come back to life''. As i said im pretty new and only got into 40k about 2 months ago. So please correct me.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 14:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobain
I'm kinda new, but i thought that if ur strength is twice as high as the enemies tougness they are killed ouright, and i thought that when necrons are killed outright the cants roll to ''come back to life''.* *As i said im pretty new and only got into 40k about 2 months ago. So please correct me.
This is true, few exceptions excluded (Tomb spider and Resurrection Orb). However, any decent Necron player has one or both, so usually necrons get their WBB roll.
Also, since Tau only have two weapons that can instantkill Necrons in the first place, this is not too common situation to begin with.

I voted Necrons and Deamonhunters, DH have plenty on 2+ save troops, or did I get them mix up? Anyway, termies are tough for Tau, and usually have nasty weapons to boot so...
Old 12 Oct 2005, 14:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

*crons and marines. They've simply got too many powerful infantry models on the tabeltop, and we don't have the guns to punch through.

How to beat them? Mobility, local fire superiority
Old 12 Oct 2005, 14:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Eldar and Necrons. Eldar are twice as fast as Mechanized Tau and Necrons...well, necrons just get back up...
Closed Thread