Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My game against nids....i need advices...
Closed Thread
Old 11 Oct 2005, 11:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default My game against nids....i need advices...

Hi my fellows...
Yesterday i had a 1500pt game with a friend of mine that play 'nids.
He had the following list...
(I don't know neds very well so i can't tell u all the wargears)

1 Dominator \w wings
3 Zoanthropes \w 3" template and St 10 shot
2 Carnifex \w W5 R7 Ts3+ and the weapon that fire 8 str 6 shots +2
2 big swarm of termagant
3 units of 3 raveners
2 units of 6 genestealers

my list was:

Shas'O Fireknife
Shas'El Fireknife
2 Fireknife crisis suit
6 Stealth
6 Stealth
6 Fire Warrior
12 FW \w DevilFish
13 Kroot + 5 Hounds
7 Gun drones
2 HammerHeads /w MT,DL,TL

My enemy's army was divided in 2 parts, 1 part assault me so fast...and the other (carnifexes and zoanthropes) advance while shooting hard.

At the end of the match i used all my shoot to stop the assaulting force (i reach the objective but with only few units left)...
But the enemy carnifexes end zoanth stand on the objective and no chance for me to take it...
So i lose hard the battle

3-17 for the nids.

How can i take uot the assaulting force without wasting all my resources and be able to gain the objective too?
Those fexes are unstoppable!

Help me... :'( :'(

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 11 Oct 2005, 11:31   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll
Default Re: My game against nids....i need advices...

OK, first target, drop the winged Tyrant!!! Without this you then target the zoanthropes to completely remove synapse now almost the entire army needs a leadership test.

Then fire on the 'Stealers and Raveners, these will rip through your army with absurd ease.

The 'Fex should be dropped by missiles, fire every spare missile at this.

Your last priority should be the termagants. These aren't too good and without synapse they'll probably run off anyway as they only have a leadership value of 5.

Let me know if there's anything else.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 12:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, what he said, take out the synapse creatures, and most of his army should run away. Then dealing with the few who remain will be easy. You won't even need to take the objectives, his whole army will be dead or running!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 11 Oct 2005, 13:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i concentrated my fire to kill the raveners that can charge 24" and can destroy my army extremely easly...Perhaps i wasted my fire too much on termagants.... I thought zoanthropes were more hard to kill than they are...
But i doubt i will be killing fexes with missiles...the missile pod has Ap4 and wound on 4+ the fex has 5 wounds!

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 11 Oct 2005, 13:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Actually, it looks like you did everything right....just ran out of time. You have to focus on all the little guys for the first turn or two, because if you don't, they'll kill YOUR little guys (anything not a vehicle), and the winged hive tyrant will also take a turn or two of all your powerful weapons.

In the end, you will have only limited time to take out the carnifexes, and if they're the tough type, and they're sitting on the objective you need....it'll be tough, especially with only 2 railguns. They shoot once a turn, which isn't fast enough to put a lot of wounds on them, and everything else (except the plasma guns) will give the carnifexes their armor save.

More railguns would help, although I think broadsides will get assaulted, and a hammerhead would be expensive enough that you have to cut a lot of your force. More suits could bring more plasma and fusion, but you'd reduce your anti-little guy firepower. You've found the really tough problem with fighting tyranids....seizing an objective. You need stuff to kill lots of little guys fast AND stuff to kill a couple monsters quick, too.

If the carnifexes are under half-strength (wounds?) do they still claim objectives? I don't think they do....you might have to go for reducing units to half strength and then moving on....the carnifexes don't have long-ranged weapons, so your mobility should be fairly free.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 18:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

railguns and twin linked plasma are your best friends against monstrous creatures. If they're slow, and have no guns, ignore them over fast units. Even if he's shooting you with the fexes, try to limit their damage, but don't shoot them until AFTER you've dealt with the fast stuff (ie raveners, gaunts, winged tyrants, etc.) Their guns may be painful, but if he assault you you're done.

a squad of kroot can really spoil the tyranids day; unless he has catalyst, you strike before him as he charges (I assume you are in cover... you're in cover, right??!?) and destroy him utterly with a whole bunch of str 4 attacks.

A winged hive tyrant ruined me in my last battle because I targeted a shooty fex first. The tyrant basically killed about 3/10 of my army by itself. Don't make the same mistake! Shooting can hurt, but speedy assaulty things hurt a lot more.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
a squad of kroot can really spoil the tyranids day; unless he has catalyst, you strike before him as he charges (I assume you are in cover... you're in cover, right??!?) and destroy him utterly with a whole bunch of str 4 attacks.
The problem with kroot is that raveners and stealers has wquipment that let them attack at the same time with enemys in cover... And the tyrant could kill kroot even if they attack first..
So not so much remaining for my opponent to worry of about kroot...

Old 11 Oct 2005, 23:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Ah, yes. Flesh hooks count as frag grenades.

With the tyrant assaulting the kroot, that is EXACTLY why you should shoot it. Even a tyrant with guns is more than a match for 20 kroot.
Raveners and genestealers should be shot, especially raveners, BEFORE the gaunts are. They're just nastier, and raveners still have 5+ armor. Try to place your kroot using infiltration across from gaunts. (but still far away) If he goes around you, all the better. He had to expend movement to do that, and you'll have more opportunity to shoot him.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 10:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I still think it should be possible to take out the tyrant and the 'thropes in the first turn. After that, you're fighting only half of his army. He doesn't have enough synapse creatures, that's his weakness. Most of the advice in this thread is excellent general advice for fighting tyranids, but against this particular list, I would take a little risk with by ignoring the raveners and stealers for one turn to take out the synapeses and cripple the army. Its almost like trying to phase out a necron army that brought only 20 warriors. Sure, he's got a lot of really nasty stuff, but he's taking huge risk by violating one of the fundamentals of his army. You lose if you let him get away with it. Necrons live and die by their warrior count. Most tyranid armies live and die by their synapse creatures. This guy brought 4. That's ridiculously thin coverage. Make him pay for it.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 12 Oct 2005, 15:13   #10 (permalink)
UXO
Shas'La

I don't think synapse is the way to go here. It'll be tough to kill all the zoanthropes and the HT in one round. I don't think you can afford to ignore the raveners for a whole round. They are way too fast and has too many rending attacks on the charge.

Plus this isn't a synapse heavy army. Synapse is only needed for the termagants. Taking it out will have almost no effect on the rest of the army as everything is LD 10. You might get lucky in that he fails LD but you shouldn't be counting on luck (at least it never works that way for me).

Top priority should be the winged tyrant, then the raveners, then the genestealers or whatever else is closest. With your list you ought to be able to wipe the board. First round, plasma and rail on the HT, everything else on the raveners.

The carnifex's guns are 18" range. They shouldn't be a problem the first two rounds or so. Same with the Zoanthrope, the S10 spell is only 18" the template spell is 24" and he's only BS3. Just don't bunch your models together.
Closed Thread