Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Players of Tau: Do you buy the whole "Tau'va" thing?
View Poll Results: *see title*
Yes 9 75.00%
No 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 11 Oct 2005, 03:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Zeroelement
Default Players of Tau: Do you buy the whole "Tau'va" thing?

This is not a topic for an argument, simply opinions and debates. So behave.
----------------
Me? I don't. Heck, I don't think the Ethereals are really even Tau.

Anyway... My opinion is that the Ethereals are servicing another being bent on controlling the galaxy. This being, whatever it is, is also the cause/creator of this 'Tau'va', and is attempting to create a repeat scenario of what happened with the Necrons, but on a much larger(galactic) scale.

My reasoning behind this is bases from the 3 artefact worlds in the immediate Tau space, as seen in the back of your Codex. Along with the fluff about O'Shovah encountering some horrific enemy before leaving the Empire, and the fact that the Tau withdrew voluntarily from the planet(N'Dras, check Codex) closest to one of these artefact worlds, I have come to this conclusion.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 03:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Alpha_Omega_Tau_Sq
Default Re: Players of Tau: Do you buy the whole "Tau'va" thing?

i cant say i can support all that u r saying... but i hav found it funny how the ethereals wont let the castes inter-breed, create some sort of 'super tau' half builder half warrior..., but the ethereals are shrounded in mystery maybe there will be some awesome new fluff in te new dex!!!

Tau army:2250
Wins: 9 Ties: 8 Loses: 7
flawless victories: 500pts-sisters of battle

Leman Russ blows up Broadside#1 grr...
Broadside#2 blows up leman Russ Happiness!!!
Old 11 Oct 2005, 03:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I do actually. Call me stubborn but the Tau are a nice respite from the crazy blood lust of the rest of the 40k universe. Besides I also am of the oppinion that the Tau are the guiding light that could possibly save the 40k universe, awaken the Eldar god and rescue the Imperium from its steady decline. A race that has little connection to the warp and so is not very suceptible to chaos, a race that embraces technology and is not held back by human superstion, a race with compassion that is not clouded by the arrogance of the Eldar. No I buy the whole Tauva thing, it makes sense, the Tau make sense, ideas that they are corrupt, dont make sense. The Tau have perhaps have some manipulating force behind them, but I dont think its a malicious one, or that the Tauva is false. As said in Firewarrior the Tauva is not something that can be reached, it is simply an ideal, an ideal that as I see it isnt false in any way.

The idea of inter caste coupling I have seen discussed many times and it is not odd that the Etherials dont do this. There is no need for a caste that can be both a warrior and mechanic, that complicates things. The specialization is what holds the Tau together strongly, each has their place and is content in it and do it well. They are efficient and skilled, there is no need for them to be able to fight when they spend their whole time building, or visa versa, if the Firewarriors need mechanics they call on the Fio, if the Fio need defending they relly on the shas. Everything works together, the sum is greater than the sum of its parts. Mixing this specialization would decrease efficiency and weaken the whole bond.

Old 11 Oct 2005, 03:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Tau obviously have someone or something controlling their development. It's pretty obvious if you read the fluff found in the Codex. The question is, why does it matter? Until GW wants to release a new line of 'evil' Tau, there probably won't be any further mention of the origin of the mind controlling Ethereal caste or the revealing of who/what caused the Warp Storm that shielded them from the Terran Empire or what evils they found on the dead worlds in their space.

I'd rather they never make an 'evil' Tau. Why can't they be created by a benevolent god? An Anti-C'Tan.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 04:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

It seems to me that the Tau are obviously being guided/shielded by something, but that something must be fairly benevolent. Necrons, chaos...if they wanted to fool the Tau and create them as pawns, I don't think Tau society would look like it does now.

With that being the case, the whole "Greater Good" thing is genuine as far as the Tau themselves are concerned, and regardless of what external forces are/have guided the Tau in the past, it's still probably the best society in the 40K universe....at least as far as being your regular Joe citizen is concerned.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 04:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I do buy the whole Tau'va thing... but it would be easy to say that they were being watched over by some ancient alien being of great power, much like Dumbledore in Harry Potter 7. Probably not, but totally justifiable in doing so.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 11 Oct 2005, 06:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroelement
My reasoning behind this is bases from the 3 artefact worlds in the immediate Tau space, as seen in the back of your Codex. Along with the fluff about O'Shovah encountering some horrific enemy before leaving the Empire, and the fact that the Tau withdrew voluntarily from the planet(N'Dras, check Codex) closest to one of these artefact worlds, I have come to this conclusion.
I don´t think the artefact worlds are necessarily Necron worlds. They could be remnants of another civilization ,that was destroyed. (Old ones? Or any small race that only controlled few planets.)

I think the Tau´Va is a philosophical thing. Sort of "way to enlightenment" or something like that. As Vash113 said, Tau´va can´t be reached, and it doesn´t matter. As long as Tau are heading towards the ideal, it is a good thing.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 06:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG

I also believe that the idea of the Tau'va is just an ideal, defenitly a good one, but the idea of a greater being watching over the Tau and introducing this ideal is, now that I think about it, quite likely. I believe this, since the Tau have been extremely fortunate as far as the warp storm is concerned. This allowed them to develop rapidly without any hindrance from other races. It also protected them from the corruption of the warp, thus allowing their race to stay pure.

Another thing to be considered is the fact that the Tau have been luky against the Imperium, since the space marines had to pull out because of the threat from the Tyranids. Talking about Tyranids, the Tau weren't too badly hit by the Tyranids either and have had only occasional encounters with Caos. All this improbable luck makes me think that there is some awesom power aiding the Tau in their attempt to passify the galaxy.

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 07:44   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

My own belief is that the "Tau'va" ideal cannot withstand the 40K universe.

What I like is Tau fluff where the Tau have to face unspeakable enemies, and come back with their faith shaken. Farsight appeals to me because he's a prime example of the Fire Caste taking their own initiative, and going in guns first; something the Ethereals have feared since the birth of the Tau Empire.

How anyone could continue to spout "for the Tau'va!" after facing the full strength of Hive Fleet Kraken, or stood and watched an Imperiator Titan Ordo bring the Pax Imperia to a world, with a little help from guns that would cripple a starship, is beyond me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 11 Oct 2005, 08:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Sephiroth

We all know "Tau'va" is ever-so loosely translatable as 'the Greater Good', but that's a huge simplification. In Tau society it's more than just a handy platitude; it's a socio-political ideology that's come to replace any notion of religion: rather than worshiping a god (or gods) the Tau place their faith in the entire species as a collective, and strive towards lives dedicated wholly to the same.

The Tau'va philosophy regards selfishness, abstraction and superficiality as utterly redundant. The perfect Tau - be they warrior, artisan, diplomat or fleet-crew - is able to say with perfect honesty that their every action is undertaken in the name of the Greater Good of the Tau Empire, rather than for their own individual benefit.

Ultimately it's something of an impossible goal: few Tau if any can claim to have achieved the perfect serenity that comes with absolute dedication to the Tau'va. Instead it serves as a pathway: a guiding light towards which every Tau is supposed to struggle. Think of a Zen Buddhist: always striving for enlightenment, always living his life as best he can, but never fully achieving it.

In practical terms the Tau'va - whether it is a philosophically justifiable course or not - is of enormous benefit to the Tau. Unlike the Imperium internal struggles are all but unknown, so collective progress has allowed expansion and technological advancement at a ludicrous rate, and - although it's unlikely that they even know it - a zealous dedication to the Tau'va makes the average Tau all but incorruptible by the whispering seductions of Chaos.

Note the 'all but'. It's long been remarked that of all the Tau it is the Warriors of the Fire Caste who struggle the most to reconcile the ideologies of the Tau'va with their own innate aggression and destructiveness. This leads to the sorts of high-profile schisms that have seen the creation of the Farsight Enclaves (Splinters of the Empire ruled over by the Fire Caste), and the insidious possibility that Chaos might not be entirely toothless with the Tau after all.

...From that perspective the Tau'va becomes a rather sinister concept: not a guiding Zen-like beacon to guide the race as a whole so much as a set of shackles, designed by the Aun (Ethereal) Caste to rein-in the excesses of those who are supposedly under their 'rule'.

Either way, it's a cool concept.
"My sorrow and anger precede me with regard to the stubborn and selfish refusal of the humans’ Emperor to permit his people acceding to the One Path, forcing us to embrace the course of conflict. The Fire Caste will do what is asked of them, and demonstrate to the Imperium of Man that piety is no substitute for wisdom."
- His Exalted Majesty, The Ethereal 'Unforeseen Truth'
Closed Thread