Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New (official) vehicles... how are they?
Closed Thread
Old 10 Oct 2005, 23:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default New (official) vehicles... how are they?

We've all heard the rumors: Pirannha, Tetra, Skyray. Some combination of these may become official.

But what do they do for the Tau army? I've never bought anything from forge world. I never even looked at the old experimental rules for these things. Without breaking any rules, can someone fill me in on what these things do to an army? What is their general role?

Tetras, I know. Rumored fast attack choice, they are basically an expensive, fast, fragile markerlight.

Pirannha. Rumored troop choice. I have heard nothing else.

Skyray. All I know about this is that it has/had anti-flyer capacities, in its forgeworld incarnation.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 23:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: New (official) vehicles... how are they?

Both the Tetra and Pirahna are now fast attack choices in IA3. The Skyray is an anti air vehicle to counter the massive Forge World fliers. Personally I believe this would be a useless adition to the codex. It has its own markerlights and 6 seeker missils as its main gun, so after 6 shots its dry. I know some people have found a use for this but personally I like the Ion Cannon and the Rail Gun much better.

The pirahna can bring fast vehicle mounted burst cannons and fusion blasters to bear and in nice sized squadrons, not that hard to take down but in nice squadron sizes and they each have a pair of gun drones to deploy in a swarm before an enemy.

The Tetra is a very fast markerlight that I have seen easily flank opponents armies and mark out far distant targets such as hiding bassalisks and command squads for aimed Seeker Missil fire and what not, not sure how effective this unit would be.

This is what I have heard and seen though I am not 100% sure.

I would love to see the pirahna in the new codex and the tetra would also be nice aswell.

Old 11 Oct 2005, 00:05   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Tommyboy

The drones from a piranha sqadron deploy in squads of two. Each piranha deploys its own squad. This I got in response to an email I sent shortly after downloading the PDF experimental rules. Granted there is nothing against useing them as one squad but you have to start taking leadership tests after one goes down.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 00:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy
The drones from a piranha sqadron deploy in squads of two. Each piranha deploys its own squad. This I got in response to an email I sent shortly after downloading the PDF experimental rules. Granted there is nothing against useing them as one squad but you have to start taking leadership tests after one goes down.
I forgot to mention the particulars, I believe they can only be used in pairs but then again 4 units of 2 drones would be very annoying for any enemy to deal with as whatever they do they are wasting fire. Then if they ignore the drones, well those little disks of doom arent as bad as some people think. Just for that I think pirahnas would be fun to use.

Old 11 Oct 2005, 00:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hmmm, yes, the bonus of "my Devastors are gonna blow away the drone squad so they don't get pinned...ok, I got 8 kills!" ...Take away 2..."What the?" "Four squads of 2, friend. " Might be a bit power-gamish, but still fun on occasion.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 04:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

i think that the skyray would be ok to take, just think about that for a secong, thats 10 seeker missiles if you take the most you can carry. thats a fair amount of backup heavy firepower available to those sqauds equiped with their own markerlight. i dont know about you people but i tend to use them a fair bit in my army and it does make a difference, well to me neway
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
Old 11 Oct 2005, 06:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to zee666

The pirahna would probably rock hard but the skyray would be crud and so would the tetra's (even though they look really cool).

Well people can't be per.. ooh look a penny.

No don't run, I just want to cut off your face.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 06:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ace: my guess, you can't put any more seekers on the Skyray. Especially if it became codex-legal. And from the sounds of things, in the new 'dex you'll be limited to 2 seekers per tank. Which will ruin the fact that both my DF have 3 modeled into each...
Old 11 Oct 2005, 06:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hola!

Several of the new IA3 models (some to be included in the new Codex) are reviewed under another post; search for "Heavy Metal 2.0" and it should come up.

The Skyray has been changed from a pure anti-aircraft platform to a ful-field support unit. It can't add any more Seekers (as of this moment), but can mount some very good secondary weapons (twin Burst Cannon, SMS, or two gun drones).

It's got the armor of a Hammerhead plus the two networked Markerlights, plus one "eternally mounted" option that eludes my memory just yet. Coupled with the *drastic* reduction in cost and you have a very nice support unit. Perhaps not a full-scale replacement for the Hammerhead, but still a solid purchase.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 09:42   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Tetra's are the replacement of pathfinders in the Mech army. Fast moving (so only glancing), markerlights that hit on a 3+ (upgrade) and disruption pod (only useful on a large board though). In my army, I have 2 squadrons of 2. (Well, 2 so far, I got them at gamesday and it's taking 1.5 weeks to assemble, clean and paint 1). One a target lock so I can mark up to 4 targets a turn, hitting on a 3, using their speed to hit the flanks and guiding units. An opponent had a whirlwind behind a hill that was pounding my men, 1 turn later 2 seeker missiles impacted on the turret and blew it to shrapnel.
They also mount twin pulse gun, very good for speeding round the back of tanks and shredding their rear armour.
Seriously, try out the Tetras, and you will never need pathfinders again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Closed Thread