Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau 'flamers'
Closed Thread
Old 10 Oct 2005, 12:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Tau 'flamers'

I just remembered that I thought about this as soon as I got a Tau Codex and the Thread about Tau and Templates jogged my memory.

Flamers, as they are in Tau armies are useless. They are, whether you think that a Crisis Suit with a flamer whooshing down to toast some Bugs is cool( like me) or not.

So, why would Tau use a conventional Flamer. I mena this is all senses of the word. Why would they use a 'normal' flamer like the Imperiums if they are so technologically advanced? Which brings me to my point, why wouldn't their flames use some other sort of fuel? Maybe a non-conventional (something along the line sof nuclear) flamer is a bit too much for the Tau's way of war, but Vespid Stingwing weaponry will be some sort of radiation type weapon, hence the low AP.

Why do the Tau use normal flamers? Why don't they use their technology to make a Flamer more effective?

This is for gameplay wise as well as fluff wise. I can't see why Tau would use a Flamer on a Crisis Suit in the fluff nor on the table top, as I think it just doesn't fit.

Something like that Assasin (Callidus?) flamer would be more appropriate. Well, the damage, not the whole "argh my neural network... it burns!!".

A Str5 Ap4 Flamer for 10 Points or AP3 for 12. It still wouldn't be really useful, but I'd sleep easier at night knowing the Tau didn't have a normal Flamer like a Guardsmen in their Armoury :P

What do you think? Should Flamers even be in the Tau armoury? Should they be able to be taken as an option for Drones or a Stealthsuit?

What do you think about the Tau way of war and Flamers?
Old 10 Oct 2005, 13:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Tau 'flamers'

Its one of those things where, 'its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it' options available to them. I mean really, its *nearly* the same as the pulse weapons, just *slightly* lower in strength. It really does wonders on massed hordes with low armour and T, though having it only available to crisis suits makes it an option thats left on the shelf most of the time.

There isn't really that much you can do to flamers. Make them bigger, make them burn longer/hotter. Something along the lines of a heavy flamer. Then it would be alot more expensive pointswise. Looking at the current flamer model, its just the right size to fit on the arm of a crisis suit, and its of comparable size to normal flamers from other armies. (ok maybe not, but it has to look proportional to the other weapons available)
Old 10 Oct 2005, 17:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

What about my other points? The way it's used on the tabletop isn't my main concern really.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 17:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

There isn't a lot you can do with a flamer really, and the Imperial ones are quite advanced as it is (promethean supposedly 'burns' underwater or in space - though mostly inside tank engines IIRC) neither are just squirting oil over people. They weren't always advanced and flamers have probably stayed as effective as they are now as they were back when they were first used. The device itself has probably undergone a lot of changes and advancements in improving safety, lightening the weapon and allowing it to interface with the suits MMI better but the principles of the weapon are still quite primative, much like chucking something really hard at anyother thing to break it is.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 18:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Flamers are a usefull option for the Tau. To clear landing zones in jungles, to equip crisis teams with a close weapon that can keep hords back and protect them from being overrun, etc. In game terms its good for killing lots of little pests like in ork, nid and some eldar armies.

It may not be the most fluffy weapon in the Tau armory but its good to have around when its needed. Its also a nice and very cheap filler for a 3rd hardpoint on some suite configurations.

Old 10 Oct 2005, 19:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Aren't we getting twinlinked flamers, according to IA3? I might take that on a crisis suit or 3.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 21:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

On a personal note, I quite like having the standard flamer choice for a crisis suit. They're a cheap alternative when using Twin-linked Monat configurations like Deathrain (TL Missile Pod) where a Multi-tracker and a Target Lock prove useless (although they are 1 point cheaper).

And also in a pinch, the Flamer is actually useful...it lowers the amout of Guants that are going to charge you next turn!
Old 11 Oct 2005, 00:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

;D one odd way of improving Tau Flamers would be to up them to the super high tech level of Ork Burnas!!!!!

basically, its a flamer, but in close combat, it counts as a power weapon!!!!!!!! they can keep the +2d6 Armor pen value, i just want the power weapon-ness!!

that alone may make people buit O'Shovah armies.. Crisis suits weilding Power Weapons... *sigh* :
Old 11 Oct 2005, 00:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
;D one odd way of improving Tau Flamers would be to up them to the super high tech level of Ork Burnas!!!!!

basically, its a flamer, but in close combat, it counts as a power weapon!!!!!!!! they can keep the +2d6 Armor pen value, i just want the power weapon-ness!!

that alone may make people buit O'Shovah armies.. Crisis suits weilding Power Weapons... *sigh** *:
I certainly hope not. Tau wielding power weapons, thats a sickening thought. Leave the flamers as they are. A usefull option when needed but not the main strength of any Tau army. Power weapons *shakes head*.

Old 11 Oct 2005, 00:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thank you Vash, I agree completly, flamers are fine as is. i see them mostly in a noncombat role though for some reason, despite the fact that a crisis suit would not be used to clear foilge, although against swarm armys... BURN BABY,BURNNNNNNN >

Tau 9/3/0 Space Wolves 50/28/15

RAAAAAARGH!
what now?
raaaaaargh.
oh.

I'll beat you down with my ukos!
whats ukos mean?
never mind
I can chew through metal bars, spit acid, carry in one hand weapons that normal men have to mount on tanks, I'm then ft. tall, can eat rocks, and your telling my I don't get lunch break?!?!?! I bet you do. mmmmhmmmm, riiiiight.
Closed Thread