Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] 1500 Tau vs Chaos Undivided
Closed Thread
Old 09 Oct 2005, 23:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default [BatRep] 1500 Tau vs Chaos Undivided

Decided to take a slightly different list than usual after the "Hammerheads: Why you shouldn't use them" thread, just to try things out.

My Tau:

- Shas'el
TL plasma/fusion/HW multi
- Shas'el
- Crisis Team Leader
- Crisis Team Leader
- Stealth Suits (5-6?)
- 12 firewarriors
Devilfish w/decoy/multi
- 12 firewarriors
Devilfish w/decoy/multi
- 16 kroot
- Railhead
Burst cannons/multi/decoy/distruption
- Ionhead
- Ionhead

I'm not an expert on chaos forces, so please forgive my less than stellar description here...should be enough to get the jist of his forces...

- Chaos lord with T5, +2/+5 save and lightning claws (and probably other goodies)
- dreadnaught with TL lascannon and mutated hull
- squad of 6-7 chosen(?) mutated marines with rending claws
- squad of 6-7 chosen(?) mutated marines with rending claws
- 10 marine squad with lascannon and meltagun
- 10 marine squad with lascannon and meltagun
- 6-7 marines with bolt pistols/ccw, maybe leader of some sort
- 6-7 marines with bolt pistols/ccw, maybe leader of some sort
- predator with TL lascannon and HB sponsons

Mission came up as Alpha-level cleanse. I had arrived earlier, so picked out enough terrain to fill up a quarter of the board to see what it really looked like. 25% terrain looks pretty dense to my eye.....guess I've been playing with too little in the past. The only really important terrain, in the end, was a large set of ruins in the middle of the board, and a medium-sized chunk of forest in my corner.

Setup. I pretty much set everything of mine up in the very back corner of my corner, behind the forest. I set my kroot in the forest, and my stealth out to my left flank (along my short table edge) to go claim that quarter. My opponent put his two mutated squads along his long edge, a tactical(?) squad deep in his corner in some ruins, another tactical squad setup to walk down his short edge to some forest, his dread to walk into the ruins in the center, and his assaulty squads and predator to move around the ruins (on my side).

First Turn: Chaos
Everything moves forward as planned during setup. Dread and pred fire at kroot. Cover saves all wounds.

First turn: Tau
Stealth and 1 devilfish move along my short edge, other devilfish runs along my long edge. Tanks drift out along my short edge while hugging cover....middle of the table from short edge to short edge is a nice little corridor that his assaulty squads and commander are moving along, so I set them up to shoot down it. Ion cannon kills a chosen across the board, kroot kill an assaulty guy, a crisis plasma shot gets another. Railgun misses the pred, and the other ion cannon fails to hurt the dread (didn't know it had mutated hull....str 7 wasn't a good bet against that).

second turn: Chaos All move up again, though his commander splits from assaulty sqaud to enter ruins in center, by dreadnaught. Shooting shakes a devilfish and ionhead.

second turn: Tau Kroot drop another assault marine, crisis get two more. Ion cannon shoots the farther assaulty squad and downs two. Railgun shoots at something...nothing much happend, whatever it did. Stealth walk into some woods, kill a chosen, then hop back out.

third turn: Chaos everything moves up. Assaulty guys are just out of charge range of kroot (the 2 man remains of the front squad, the rear squad is too far back). Dread hangs in the far edge of the ruins. Fails to damage hammerhead. Both tactical squads are out of range for lascannons (disruption pods). Pred shakes ionhead (had two or three immobilized results throughout game, but all were rerolled to ones or twos).

third turn, Tau: It a silly and suicidal move, but I realize I can easily just dance around and slaughter these troops, so to spice things up a bit, I have my kroot advance from cover and rapid fire the 2 assaulty guys. They kill both. My hammerheads advance, along with the crisis suits, and kill most of the 2nd assaulty squad (1 guy left, with melta). He runs. Stealth and ion cannon kill one of the chosen squads. Dread is shaken by something or other.

forth turn, chaos: His two tactical squads just sit in their corners. The one in the woods that he moved are in range now of a hammerhead, but fail to damage it. Pred fails to damage. Dread shakes an ionhead. Lord charges my kroot, kill all 5 in range. They consolidate.

forth turn, Tau: Ion cannon, stealth and crisis suits kill rest of chosen, secure my short edge corner. devilfish and 1 team leader move along my long edge to contest my right flank corner (with his tactical squad). Railhead shakes pred, something (fusion?) shakes dread. Lord kills several more kroot, but he roll snake eyes on his armor save and gets two wounds. Kroot hold.

fifth turn, chaos. Pred runs from ruins and into wood by my devilfish. Lone assaulty guy with meltagun rallies and shoots at devilfish....misses. dread runs through ruins and assaults ionhead, misses. Lord kills more kroot, only three left. They break, and he runs them down. Stuck in the open now.

fifth turn, Tau. teamleader jumps out along long edge and rapid-fires at lone meltagunner. Fails to kill him. Railgun shoots submuntion at tac squad in forest, kills 3 (covered 8, they were in there pretty tight). Commanders and other team leader kill chaos lord and stun dread.

sixth turn, chaos: pred advances on my lone teamleader, lascannons him. Meltagunner goes for devilfish, fails. That's it for him.

sixth turn, Tau. crisis suits immobilize dread. devilfish unloads troops into forest, kill a couple marines from tactical squad.

With dread immobilized, I had two quarters, while he had one and the last was contested (my devilfish and his pred). Could have moved my other devilfish and/or stealth into his home quarter, but it wasn't really needed, so I didn't.

He had left:
Immobile dread
Healthy pred
Full tactical squad
under-half tactical squad
1 man from assaulty squad

I had lost
16 kroot
1 crisis teamleader

He and his buddy (who came in later) seemed pretty surprised I had won at all, let alone so handily. They both commented on the mounted firewarrior squads...my opponent on how they did almost nothing all game (true), the other on how he always reads about putting them on devilfish on the internet, and how he thinks it's a bad idea. He also mentioned my list broke all his rules for Tau...too many crisis suits, no broadside, mounted firewarriors, etc. Oh well =)

Overall, I was pretty pleased with all of my units. I had assumed the lack of railguns wouldn't hurt me much....I was very wrong. Those 2 vehicles were a bear to wrestle with, and I really just gave up on them until all the infantry threats were gone. If his rolling had been a little better on their TL lascannons, things could have gone much worse for me. The ion cannons were pretty handy against those marines, though....tough call to decide what to bring next time. Probably 2 rail and one ion.

The stealth didn't do much, but I didn't ask much of them.

Crisis were a mixed bag. The HQ suits advanced pretty easily behind the hammerheads, which was handy. The teamleaders were much tougher to move around, and their limited range made it tough to engage them at full effectiveness. The fusion did come in handy once or twice....I think the setup is great for the HQ suits.....I'll have to reconsider the line suits.

Firewarriors weren't helpful at all, but they usually aren't. Just move and hold corners, really. I'm really averse to suffering casualties, which doesn't help....

In the end, it came down to being able to outmanuever and isolate his assets and take them apart. My gut says he had too little AT weaponry, but he had 4 lascannons (2 TL), a couple meltas and 2 squads of rending claws. Not terrible, I suppose. Probably just his mobility, in the end.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 01:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Re: Battle Report 1500 Tau vs Chaos Undivided

Sounds like he was too slow and relied on close combat too much. If his pred had had 2 extra lascannons instead of HB's, that would have hurt. Lots of crisis do great against footsloggers. I'm surprised he didn't take a rhino or some raptors. He was doomed from the start against mech tau.

3 hh's, you say? Plus devilfishes? That seems very specialized to me. Should your opponent have 8 lascannons or something (like a guard army tends to) then you'd be in trouble. Just be on the lookout for it, and try not to take too many.

Congratulations on a solid victory, bty!
Old 10 Oct 2005, 01:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well done, though its not surprising. His list had little that could catch you and you took that out pretty well. Mobile Firewarrior squads are very usefull, just sometimes they have to be used agressively, otherwise they are exelent for taking quarters and securing objectives. A full squad of Firewarriors puts out enough fire to discourage a lot of people from advancing on them and this can be very usefull for holding certain areas and keeping your flanks nice and safe.

Chaos can be nasty if it gets close, luckily he was very slow, just be wary of fast units like bikes. Ive seen bike squads turbo charge forward and summon a mass of daemons, that is very bad for us Tau. Keep an eye out for such things.

Old 10 Oct 2005, 01:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Nice work :P

Looking at both lists, he had plenty of lascannons.. and your list was a bit heavy on crisis suits and hammerheads.. though there aren't any set rules on how to play Tau or anything, so yeah..
Old 10 Oct 2005, 01:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

It only had 4 crisis suits....not that heavy! :P

I wasn't really surprised either at the outcome.....as I saw footslogger after footslogger put on the table, I had a pretty good feeling on how the battle would go before it started. Still, it was a lot of marines, and it took me the whole game to get rid of most of them. I probably could have sped the process up a bit by being more aggressive, but as I said, I hate taking casualties, so I'm usually content to take my time and pick away.

While I was pretty happy with the ion cannons, the fact that I had to be aggressive in this scenario showed how important the railhead is. With mutated hull vehicles moving around in cover, 1 railhead wasn't going to cut it, the ion cannons were useless (and busy with marines), and the fusion blasters would have to cross open ground to get into range.....a death sentance with the lascannons and chaos maniacs running around.

My gut reaction was that the regular crisis suits (teamleaders) might need something a little longer ranged to help out...missile pods, perhaps....as they were rather constrained by terrain. I think, however, what might have been more useful would be to have the suits stay the same, and the hammerheads all carry railguns. Would have killed the enemy armor much faster, while the assaulting units would just get killed a turn later by the crisis suits. After taking the enemy armor out, the suits would have been much more free to move around, and the submunition would have been just as effective against the clumped marines in cover as an ion cannon in the later phases of the game. Mental wargaming, of course, but seems like a good overall plan. Not being able to kill those vehicles quickly really made advancing the bulk of my forces much more difficult and dangerous....and risk is something I prefer to avoid if possible.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 02:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Wow...seems to have been a flurry of posting recently. My poor little report got pushed down pretty quick. No more comments? I suppose there isn't much to say on this one....pretty typical results for mech Tau and slow, foot slogger assault army.

Still, I was surprised at how surprised the two other gamers were at how the game went....they didn't think I'd have a chance, let alone annihilate the guy. Should get to go back next Sunday, so we'll see how other lists in the area look. The player who was watching played my opponent after me using his speed freaks army. Didn't get to see the match, but speed freaks might be interesting...my get reaction is that it would be fairly easy to blast all those light vehicles and entangle the orks, but I'd imagine you can get an awful lot of orks in a 1500 point list....
Old 11 Oct 2005, 04:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Still, wonderful victory in the name of Tau'va. Mech Tau can take out almost anything.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 11 Oct 2005, 05:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Speed freaks are like mech tau.. but faster and assaulty.

Here's a quick guide for mech tau vs speed freeks;

Don't let him get behind your tanks. Your front armor, especially vs speed freeks, is invincible. However, his vehicles are fast, and things like buggies with twin rokkits can really spoil your day.

Focus on the trukks; speed freaks "mob up" using their trukks for home base. If you destroy all his trukks, he has no where to run. Any failed morale tests mean he can't mob up again. That, and he won't be able to catch you with his orks, which are far fewer in number than regular orks. Keep in mind that trukk boyz are only wounded on a 6 when their trukk blows up.

After the trukks, hit his bikes. His bikes will probably try to get your battlesuits, so don't let them! On the first turn they charge, they can be quite devastating, too devastating for crisis. Be aware of them, keep your cool, and shoot them with your high str weapons (on your crisis and hh's). They are like the "vultures" of a freek army; they pick on isolated or weak units. Not as deadly as the boyz, but still very painful at times. They're smoke screen can be a pain; just be sure to concentrate enough fire on them to get them all.

Railheads are best used against anything with AV 13 or better. Otherwise, target his bikes with submunition, and his dismounted boyz (who are usually clumped if their trukk is dead. If you have a markerlight anywhere, using it on clumped boyz in the cover of their trukk is best; all the orks will die because their cover is denied.)

Stay inside your fishes. Speed freaks are guaranteed to be in assualt turn 2. Don't give him anything to kill until you can destroy him utterly by scoot and shoot.

A looted vehicle should be ignored if he takes one. It will often break down, and if it fires ord, simply stay out of LOS with infantry; hh's can take an earthshaker hit and keep going. Hit his trukks and such first!

Don't underestimate them, play defensively, (keeping your rear armor on the table edge, for example) and you'll get your win.

Hope this helps. Freeks can be scary fast and hit hard, but their armor is of no help vs tau weaponry. Based on your battle against chaos, you should do pretty well. Good luck!