Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Aun'Shi
Closed Thread
Old 09 Oct 2005, 19:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Aun'Shi

So here comes my question...

Aun'Shi is armed with Photon and EMP grenades. If he chooses a unit to be his retinue, does the whole unit get the photons and EMPs or only Aun'Shi?

My buddy claims, that everyone in the unit will have them - and I just cannot seem to find the rule to confirm this. Perhaps I am a illiterate? Does anybody know the ruling on this?

Thanks ;D ;D

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Old 09 Oct 2005, 19:32   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Aun'Shi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwing
So here comes my question...

Aun'Shi is armed with Photon and EMP grenades. If he chooses a unit to be his retinue, does the whole unit get the photons and EMPs or only Aun'Shi?

My buddy claims, that everyone in the unit will have them - and I just cannot seem to find the rule to confirm this. Perhaps I am a illiterate? Does anybody know the ruling on this?

Thanks* ;D ;D
No. Both Photon and EMP grenades work on a per model basis. You would need to buy them for the Fire Warriors seperately. Whether or not you buy the grenades for everyone, Aun'Shi can still use his EMP grenades and any models attacking him will lose their bonus attack for charging.
Old 09 Oct 2005, 19:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

But models (unless special characters) usually do not have the ability to target another specific model. So how would the photon grenades work in this case, if Aun'Shi's unit gets charged?

Old 09 Oct 2005, 20:27   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
But models (unless special characters) usually do not have the ability to target another specific model. So how would the photon grenades work in this case, if Aun'Shi's unit gets charged?
Not strictly true. An independant character is treated as a seperate unit once combat begins, and so any models in base-to-base with him may choose to direct their attacks against him. Any models choosing to target Aun'Shi in this way will thus lose their bonus attack for charging. Any models that choose to attack the rest of the Fire Warriors will retain their bonus attacks (unless they were also equipped with Photon Grenades, of course).

Reference pages 51 and 45 of the 4th edition rulebook. I hope that helps.
Old 09 Oct 2005, 20:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

They can still target him, even if its his retinue?

Old 09 Oct 2005, 21:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I dont believe the firewarriors will get the grenades, but if Aun'shi takes a retinue he is no longer a independent character, he is a part of the unit. the tau codes says "If a model has photon grenades then enemy assaulting them do not get any bonus attacks for charging." I think that means any enemy model participating within the combat range of aun'shi (2 in) loses their charge bonus
Old 10 Oct 2005, 00:27   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
They can still target him, even if its his retinue?
Yes. Only upgrade characters like Shas'ui are exempt from targeting if they are in base-to-base. Even though Aun-Shi is not strictly an Independent Character when he has a retinue, he is still not an upgrade character and is treated as a separate unit during an assault.
Closed Thread