Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau and blast weapons?
View Poll Results: Do Tau have to get more blast weapons?
Missiles should be blast weapons (with some changes) 1 20.00%
Missiles should be blast weapons (no changes) 0 0%
Missiles should stay as they are 3 60.00%
Other opinion 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 09 Oct 2005, 13:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808
Default Tau and blast weapons?

I feel that Tau lack blast weapons.
Even our Missile Pods aren't blast. -> Don't they explode?
And why don't Seekers have a blast marker? -> Same reason as with the Pods, it ARE missiles, normally they go BOOM on impact :P

Ok maybe 2 blast marker from our MP is overdoing it, but if we could choose ...
I mean even a SMurf can choose if he shoots Krak or Frag missiles.

Then our option would be:
Shoot 2 missiles -> S7 AP4
Shoot 1 missile -> S6 AP5

Thoughts?

Greetz

Old 09 Oct 2005, 13:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Tau and blast weapons?

Tau go for more accurate hard hitting (and ranged) weaponry, over weapons that would decimate an area (of land that they're trying to gain). I think it was mentioned ages ago about a Tau version of orbital bombardment, they would use it in extreme cases, but most of the time they would prefer to keep the places intact.

As for blast weapons.. do they really need it? I don't think so.
Old 09 Oct 2005, 18:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn

Tau are all about precision as opposed to colateral damage. They'd much rather use a scalpel then a hammer. The missle pod is more then likely a shaped charge projectile, hense why it has no splash damage. Same thing with the seeker missles. It's just not "Tau-ish".
Old 09 Oct 2005, 21:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Tau pefer reliable firepower, not chancy firepower. If you like blast weapons, go with the Imperial Guard.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 00:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

No, we dont need more blast weapons. The Railgun works fine, especially because it doesnt scatter. I like the smart missils and missil pods and seeker missils as they are thanks.

Besides I dont want to risk anything scattering on my troops, that would be bad, very bad.

Old 10 Oct 2005, 01:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Tau have no equivalent to the imperial missile launcher; the seeker missile is more akin to the hunter killer, and the missile pod is actually and assault autocannon with less range. Tau do have flamethrowers though... you want blasts, go for submunition or flamers.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 01:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't think the lack of blast weapons is due to some inherent disapproval of high-explosives by the Tau....they obviously have the submunition round, so the idea of an area effect weapon is certainly acceptable.

I think the difference is that the railgun solid shot is fairly useless against hordes of smaller creatures, while the projectile is large enough to still create a fairly powerful area effect weapon, and the vehicle is large enough to carry multiple ammunition types and switch during battle. Things like missile pods and seeker missile are smaller and specially designed for anti-armor purposes, and (I assume) wouldn't be easy to switch during battle. The SMS shots are even smaller....a strength 2 blast just isn't worth it.

Besides, Tau have some of the best anti-light infantry firepower in the game, so they probably wouldn't worry about such a weapon.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 06:27   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Still though, (even though I wouldn't want to be close enough to use them), it would be nice if our grenades had a 'blast'. (unless I missunderstand them), they have no 'blast.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ maCe
link=topic=12459.msg202953#msg202953 date=1128865065]
Tau go for more accurate hard hitting (and ranged) weaponry, over weapons that would decimate an area (of land that they're trying to gain). I think it was mentioned ages ago about a Tau version of orbital bombardment, they would use it in extreme cases, but most of the time they would prefer to keep the places intact.
"Tau regard territorial gain as militarily irrelevant compared to the destruction of enemy forces." (pg. 14 Battle) ;D
So who cares if the terrain is charred,...although I do understand your point.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 06:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlus
Still though, (even though I wouldn't want to be close enough to use them), it would be nice if our grenades had a 'blast'. (unless I missunderstand them), they have no 'blast.'
They're not meant to. On the carbines, they add the pinning effect, photons on fire warriors are more like stun grenades, thus their rule with units charging not gaining any attacks, and emp grenades are generate an electrical pulse. There isn't really anything to create a blast that would do damage, unless a new grenade type is introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlus
"Tau regard territorial gain as militarily irrelevant compared to the destruction of enemy forces." (pg. 14 Battle) ;D
So who cares if the terrain is charred,...although I do understand your point.
Yes, but what about after they've destroyed the enemy forces? If they were to blow up everything, say they're attacking a city in order to take and hold it, there would be no city left to take. The territorial gain happens after the battle is won. Its no use if the 'territory' is half destroyed or burnt to the ground :P
Old 10 Oct 2005, 06:53   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Good point, I guess especially if it was their own ground they were fighting to regain control over.

Do you think we will get new grenade types?

I guess I never took them, because of that fact; that, and a lack of knowledge of how they are used. Do you have to declare that you are using photons, or are the 'instinctivly thrown' during the opponents assault, or is it based on initiative, (which in some cases would never be used)?
Also does the entire unit need them, if one model has it wouldn't it still work the same way?
Closed Thread