Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Questions before I start an army
Closed Thread
Old 09 Oct 2005, 12:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Spaceknight
Default Tau Questions before I start an army

;D Hello again Tau players,

Im thinking about starting up a Tau army when the new codex comes out butI have some fears, First of all CC ahhh keep away from me im tau and secondaly My openants will be SM, DH, CSM, Ork, Nids and Necrons will any of these be easy or hard to beat?

Im dyislexic dont hate me for it
Old 09 Oct 2005, 12:28   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Tau Questions before I start an army

No army is hard to beat, providing you know what you are doing, and your opponent doesn't powergame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 09 Oct 2005, 12:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There's no definate answer to that question, I'm afraid. *The best I can do it give you a general idea:

Orks - your easiest opponant. *You have many weapons capable of killing his troops en-mass, and plenty of weapons able to easily destroy his vehicles. *Choice weapons are Pulse Rifles, Burst Cannons, Missile Pods and Railguns (for the odd looted tank or Dreadnought).

Space Marines, Chaos Marines and Daemonhunters are all pretty similar - large numbers of 3+ save troops that are good in close combat. *These opponants will be tougher, since Tau lack large numbers of AP1-3 weaponry. *Try to focus destroying their faster units and transports first before killing ground troops, as you should outrange them alot of the time. *Plasma Rifles and Ion Cannons will be your best friends against these opponants, and again Railguns are handy against their tanks.

Necrons are a nightmare for everyone, especially for Tau. *Their lack of AP1-3 weaponry (as above) makes it hard to kill them effectively. *We'll Be Back means you'll only actually kill 50% of the time as well, making it even worse. *Plasma Rifles are of limited use here, being better suited to killing 'elite' units such as Immortals, Wraiths and Destroyers. *Ion Cannons are your main strength here, as are sheer masses of Pulse Rifles. *Railguns are highly effective against Monoliths and Destroyers as well.

~Andromidius
Old 09 Oct 2005, 12:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks what about nids?

Old 09 Oct 2005, 12:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Oh, I missed them.

Pulse Rifles and Burst Cannons will make short work of most small beasties. Missile Pods should target Genestealers and Warriors. Ion Cannons are the best Hammerhead weapon to take, since Tyranids don't have vehicles (though Submunition might be good against a massive swarm army). A few Plasma Rifles can be taken to deal the killing blow to Carnifexes and Tyrants.

Your #1 unit will be Stealth Suits for sure - 18 S5 AP5 shots will really give those swarms a headache!

Also, keep moving. You need to keep your distance with Tyranids, so going pure Mech is a very good idea.

~Andromidius
Old 09 Oct 2005, 13:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks it seems they will be my main enemy

Old 09 Oct 2005, 13:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Pulse fire against swarm armies.. and against any form of marines or necrons.. I think we will have to wait till the codex comes out to see how the vespids fare against power armour.. Until then, no army is really easy to beat (As Wargamer stated) by any other army, otherwise there isn't that much game balance.. you just need to know what you are doing. At that, the general tactics apply until we hear more of the new codex, you can find the tactic threads in this sticky and by doing a forum search for specific armies.
Old 09 Oct 2005, 13:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks for the advice guys

Old 09 Oct 2005, 14:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I really think you guys are glossing over the difficulties that tau have with necrons. Even non-powergaming necron armies are insanely difficult for tau to handle due in part to their gauss weaponry (death to skimmers!), and in part to WBB. You might say that the veil of darkness automatically makes an army a powergaming army (with which I would disagree), but that makes things even more difficult for the tau, as the "run away!" mechtau doctrine falls on its face when the enemy deepstrikes into rapid-fire range at will.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 09 Oct 2005, 14:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It takes something like 18 pulse rifle shots to put down 1 necron warrior, againmst a good player they are next to impossible to beat.

18 shots = 9 hits = 6 wounds = 2 fall down = 1 gets back up = 1 dead necron warrior.

Against Nids tho you are laughing. Mech teans will just hurt them sooo bad ans submunitions will slaughter them. You need to keep a close eye on your stealths and XV8s because of the 18" charge range but the range of your guns should take care of this if you pay careful attention to your jet pack moves and terrain.

Stealths can even win a combat or two providing there's not too many of them as they strike first, get 2 attacks each, have S4 and a 3+ armour save. Just stay clear of the stealers these should be railgun food.