Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do you kill a Carnifex with 3 crisis suits?
Closed Thread
Old 07 Oct 2005, 10:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8
Default How do you kill a Carnifex with 3 crisis suits?

The Subject says it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 07 Oct 2005, 10:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: How do you kill a Carnifex with 3 crisis suits?

twin link misslepods on all three... from the other side of the board. let him come to you. He should be heavily limping if not twitching in the dirt by the time he catches you up.
Old 07 Oct 2005, 10:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Shoot it.

Ok, seriously, I have no idea. Though looking at the stats.. I'd say Ion Cannons, though crisis suits can't carry them can they.

Going through the weapons they can take.. if my calculations are correct..

(A squad of three where each suit has the said config will take said amount of turns overall to take down the carnifex)
Four turns of Twin Linked Plasma Rifles should take it down (statistically) or two turns in Rapid Fire range. (1.125 wounds per turn)
Two turns of Twin Linked Missile Pods.. (I thought this would be more.. must be the slightly higher str and 2x more shots..) (2 wounds per turn)
Three turns of Twin Linked Fusion Blasters - two if your lucky (1.875 wounds per turn)

Burst Cannon - bah a lot of turns. Stealth suits and Fire Warriors would probably do more. e.g. I haven't worked this one out
Flamer - Yup. Flamer vs carnifex.

IMO twin linked weapons would be the most efficient, although three fireknives might do something due to slightly higher output of fire.
So Fireknife.. 3 plasma shots, 6 mp shots.. 1.5 plasma will hit.. 3mp will hit.. 0.75 wounds from plasma, 1.33 wounds from mp.. (2.08 wounds per turn)

If my calculations are correct, the FireKnife config would cause the most wounds per turn (statistically). Taking into account range etc though, I'd say the Deathrain config would be the best, as you don't have to get close and its better than FireKnife (if its plasma rifles are out of range)
Old 07 Oct 2005, 11:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila_XV8
The Subject says it all.
Equip them all with fusion / plasma and a multi, get them within 12" and rapid fire, thats 6 Plasma and 3 Fusion shots with no save allowed and all wounding on at most 4+.
Use a Shas,O or El for the improved ballistic skill.
That should do the job no problem.
Old 07 Oct 2005, 12:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

So bearing in mind that Nid's can easily tie up the Crisis Suits since they can move pretty damn quick, you advise getting to within 12 inches of a Carnifex, which will be behind the Gaunts usually equipped with Guns (It could be a CC fex, if so it will still be behind the Gaunts) with a Crisis Suit team that will be costing as much if not more than the Carnifex...Not too clever IMO.

Why don't you just leave it alone? If you really have to bring it down I'd suggest Fireknife or Deathrain. These are the 2 best types of Suits to me. The Deathrain suit will destroy anything in the Nid army. It's relatively high output of fire combined with it's range and Strength should be the best at bringing down the Carnifex, not to mention any Medium sized Bugs he brings along.

I say Deathrains.
Old 07 Oct 2005, 13:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

To add onto my post

TL Fusion - too short range, not very effective either due to low no. of shots
TL Plasma - takes a lot of turns to take it down, RF range is a bit too close
TL Missile - furthest range, and still as effective if not more than the other TL configs.

Fireknife is comparable to Deathrain, although it requires the team to be a bit close.. though I haven't even taken into account RF range yet..

Deathrain or Fireknife would be the solution.
Old 07 Oct 2005, 13:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Dont. crisis suits are too innefficient to take on carnifexes.

they have nothing that can reliably crack them. plasmas lack rate of fire, and wound on a 4, or 5+. fusions are too short ranged. who wants to get up close to a tyranid, let alone a carnifex? anything else lacks AP. and when you have a t7 5wound carni with a 2+ save, you need a serious load of points invested into your suits, and a serious load of specifically directed firepower to take him out, and then the rest of the gribblies get you.

My attitude? if he's the 250 point behemoth with crushing claws, and scything talons i ignore him altogether. he's slow and i can outmanoevre him. i kill everything else in the tyranid army (or make it non scoring). last turn, i send a railgun slug down his throat to get some tasty VPs. if he has a gun, i do my best to not give him LOS.

in general, crisis suits are better off killing stealers, and warriors. leave the monstrous creatures to the railguns and ion cannons.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 07 Oct 2005, 14:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

It also depends on the armor save. I'll trust Mace's calculations about the missile pod, though I thought it would be different. But that MUST be for a 3+ save. No way missile pods are that good if it's 2+. 2+ you want plasma, without a doubt.

3+ you can use missiles, pulse shots, ion cannons... just about everything. Railguns are probably better off shooting submunitions.
Old 07 Oct 2005, 15:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm not too sure about my calculations, but I think they work out right. The slightly higher str and double the amount of shots compared to the plasma rifle makes up for the AP I think. I based it all off the carnifex statline in the Tyranid Summary from the codex.. e.g. 3+ save.

I would say, a few missile pods, massed pulse fire, and ion cannons should do the trick. Railguns aren't that great here, as the slightly improved roll on the str vs toughness damage chart won't do much, and you can't insta-kill it. Its better off elsewhere leaving the Missile pods and Ion cannons to do the work.

But here we're dealing with only using crisis suits, so Missile pods would probably be the best choice due to range and higher str, and number of shots.

(TL Plasma - squad output is 3 shots, just under two of these will hit I think, and over one will cause a wound.. compared to TL MPs - 6 shots already, a lot of these will hit, a lot will still wound, and force some armour saves.. ending up with two wounds on average I think)
Old 07 Oct 2005, 15:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
Dont. crisis suits are too innefficient to take on carnifexes.

they have nothing that can reliably crack them. plasmas lack rate of fire, and wound on a 4, or 5+. fusions are too short ranged. who wants to get up close to a tyranid, let alone a carnifex? anything else lacks AP. and when you have a t7 5wound carni with a 2+ save, you need a serious load of points invested into your suits, and a serious load of specifically directed firepower to take him out, and then the rest of the gribblies get you.

My attitude? if he's the 250 point behemoth with crushing claws, and scything talons i ignore him altogether. he's slow and i can outmanoevre him. i kill everything else in the tyranid army (or make it non scoring). last turn, i send a railgun slug down his throat to get some tasty VPs. if he has a gun, i do my best to not give him LOS.

in general, crisis suits are better off killing stealers, and warriors. leave the monstrous creatures to the railguns and ion cannons.
nothing in a Tau list is guaranteed to kill a carnie, the guy asked what would kill them, and Fusion and plasma are the most efficient way to remove wounds for the simple fact is the carnie gets no saves what so ever.
The 6 shots from plasma and 3 from fusion is not to be sniffed at, I would agree whole heartedly and avoid the b*****d unless he is tooled up with guns, but the point about getting close is correct to a point, the XV8 has JSJ move and can put 18" of distance between the carnie and itself and any units close to the carnie, I usually jump behind cover if possible as well.
The Hormie units are usually way ahead of the carnie so are not usually a threat and tarmies have to give up shooting to fleet of claw, so the chances of bieng cuaght are not that great. Also XV8 suits that are secreted away near the Tau lines are just as susceptable to being caught by fast nid units if not more so, XV8's should use the field and the movement it offers not be stuck behind cover.
I usually use my Shas,O with drone squad (not attached) to hunt carnies(or any MCreature) as the drone squad can add its fire but can also stop any assualts against the Shas (I have a set up with the drones and Shas that works a treat at stopping assaults and shooting against the Shas).
I use 4 XV's against every army I face including nids and I have never lost more than 2, it all comes down to how clever you are at using them and how you exploit the JSJ and cover.
Also your totaly wrong about the Railguns (on HH at least) they should be using the subs to kill the hormies, stealers, warriors and not wasting shots on MC, Ions are ok (not that I would take an ION against nids anyway) for MC but the 2+ tyrant and Carnie get saves against them.
I always use 3 HH with subs, keep em moving and drop Subs on hoard units heads, use the XV8's to hunt the big ones, Stealths and drone squad with FW squads to mop up the rest of the hoard and use Kroot to counter charge and stop assaults, works a treat.
Closed Thread