Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Twin-linked Plasma question
Closed Thread
Old 06 Oct 2005, 03:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Twin-linked Plasma question

I need your advice fellow Commanders!

I bought the Tau Battle box with the 3 Crisis suits. After reading the tactics section on these message boards I've learned that a good configuration is to have twin linked plasma rifles on at least two of the XV8's. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to model two of my Crisis Suits with twin linked plasma rifles with only a total of three of the weapons on the sprues? (without having to buy another separate crisis suit of course)
Old 06 Oct 2005, 03:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Twin-linked Plasma question

Personally, you should balance your weapons.

1. Burning Eye (Twin-Linked Plasma Rifle, Flamer)
2. Death Rain (Twin-Linked Missile Pod, Flamer)
3. Fireknife (Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker)

You could also use Fusion Blasters (though I don't like them because of their range) and Burst Cannons (which are better on Stealths IMO), the Missile Pod and Plasma Rifle combos are the most versatile, able to crush high toughness models, low save models, light vehicles, and many more. Just don't go too overboard on the Plasma, as it weakens the balance and costs a lot.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 06 Oct 2005, 03:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

You'll need to buy 3 more crisis if you want 3 guys with twin plasma. *I'd go for using magnets or pins to hold weapons in place, that way you can remove weapons and put on new ones when you feel like it.

You can find the kind of magnets you need at this website;

http://www.wondermagnets.com

Some of the smallest magnets for sale (number 007) are the ones you should use. *Glue em on the suits and the weapons, and you can take them on and off as you please. *If you want some heavy infantry killers in the meantime, before you get more plasma rifles, go for plasma/burst or plasma/fusion for the really heavy stuff. *Experiment with them for a while. *Plasma/burst is more deadly out of rapid fire, but within 18", than the twin plasma suit. *Experiment with it. *If you expect termies or hive tyrants, go for the fusion/plasma suit.* MP's are meant, really, to destroy light vehicles.

Hope that helps! *
Old 06 Oct 2005, 03:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I would suggest fusion blasters as their backup weapons. You never know when your primary heavy support and tank busters fall too soon. This gives you the flexibility you need to use your suits as tank busters as a last resort. If that nasty Land Raider gets too close you can fire a number of fusion blasters at it. Having a backup plan is always a good idea and at 12 points its not too terribly much.

Old 06 Oct 2005, 03:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

I would go with what Black Behemoth said, as its fairly balanced and the two twin linked suits have specific targets that they can take out.

Keep in mind though, you don't have to glue in the weapons, as they can fit in place securely after painting. That way, you can just swap the weapons around to whatever configuration you find best, without being locked in to various configs.

If you want to use magnets on the crisis suits, have a look at this thread.
Old 06 Oct 2005, 05:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I know everyone is trying to help with advice on how to better equip suits with "balanced roles" and all, but that's not the question he asked.

I've got the same problem as well....not enough plasma weapons. I haven't had much luck trying to trade for them, either, as everyone else uses them, too. The best options I've come up with so far:

Scavenge them from broadsides, if you have them.

Make your own. I wouldn't try to actually make a seperate plasma gun, as you'd have a heck of a time making one to match the regular ones. Instead, add a second barrel to a regular plasma gun....probably underslung would be easiest and look the best. Of course, now the thing is twin-linked only, which could be a problem down the road.

Plasma is probably the most important weapon a crisis suit can carry, so I see no problem with trying to increase its efficiency by twin-linking.
Old 06 Oct 2005, 05:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

We know the question he asked. We were merely poitning out alternatives of equipment instead of ways to get a 4th plasma rifle. Circumvent the problem so to speak... that is unless I missed something.

Old 06 Oct 2005, 06:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

what i do is give one guy twin linked plasma guns, then another one twinlinked fusion blasters, since they both look like futuristic guns that could shoot plasma i tell the enemy they both count as twinlinked plasma guns. most people will accept this as long as you've paid for the points. or if you have a shas'o just give him one plasma gun, he hits on 2+ anyways so twinlinking it is a bit redundant.

Old 06 Oct 2005, 12:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the suggestions Commanders! I might check out the Broadside option as I'm going to be getting some of those as well!
Old 06 Oct 2005, 15:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you buy the broadside, you'll have a regular crisis battlesuit sprue - and the extra plasma gun! Unless, of course, you want to give the broadside twin linked plasma guns, however, I'd give the broadsides smart missiles.

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Closed Thread