Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

power of the crisis battlesuit
Closed Thread
Old 05 Oct 2005, 10:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default power of the crisis battlesuit

greetings tau lovers of the crisis battlesuit, in ur apron what is the best stuff to give a crisis battlesuit? i am currently making an elite crisis battlesuit team, this team will in cluded a tank hunter with a missile pod and a fusion blaster (i don't know what i should also give him), a sniper with a target lock, drone controller and plasma rifle, if i have the target lock can the drones use it? and my last guy is going to be anti troop but i don't know what to give him? 8) so do u have any i deas

our advanced research has concluded the fowling things
1. all good things come to an end
2. the universe doesn't end there for it is evil
3. the grater good will die, so enjoy it while it lasts
4. George bush will be the president of the USA for ever and ever
Old 05 Oct 2005, 10:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: power of the crisis battlesuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernejo
greetings tau lovers of the crisis battlesuit, in ur apron what is the best stuff to give a crisis battlesuit? i am currently making an elite crisis battlesuit team, this team will in cluded a tank hunter with a missile pod and a fusion blaster (i don't know what i should also give him), a sniper with a target lock, drone controller and plasma rifle, if i have the target lock can the drones use it? and my last guy is going to be anti troop but i don't know what to give him? 8) so do u have any i deas
Morning Wernejo

Here at the Important Topics sticky, you can find a few threads just on this subject, Crisis Configs and Commander Crisis Configs with some commentary based on intent, target, etc for your battle suit and his role in your army.

Quote:
... if i have the target lock can the drones use it?
Only the model with the target lock may benefit from the target lock. The drones (1 or 2 of them) may fire at a single target, but the crisis suit controller, if he has a target lock, may fire at a separate target as normal. The drones do not benefit from the target lock.

Cheers!
Old 05 Oct 2005, 11:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

in my opinion you should find a specific role for your suit on the field and dress him up for it. misslepods are great if ur dealing with low armour vehicles like an ork kult of speed, twinlinked bursts and 2 gun drones are great for dealing with your basic infantrymen. twinlinked fusion blasters are what you want for heavy vehicles. dealing with heavy infantry such as smurfs or necrons you want the fire knife configuration, a multi tracker a plasma rifle and a fusionblaster, at 12" you get 3 shots that pretty much kill anything(great for a sha'o since hes BS5. i dont like mixing diferent configurations in one squad unless everyone has a target lock wich can be expensive and limit your hard points, so if you want one suit for anti infantry and one tank killer take them in separate squads. that way you enemy can focus his power on a squad and wipe out three in a turn.(leman russes do this alot)

Old 05 Oct 2005, 11:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

Actually Elessar, plasma/fusion/mt is firelance, or helios. The fireknife you're referring to is plasma/missile pod/mt.

Entirely different battlefield roles, as one is anti-medium infantry + light vehicles, the other being anti-heavy infantry + heavy vehicles.

Read through the important topics, as Mal posted

Cheers!

~Olannon
Old 05 Oct 2005, 11:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

o.k then what should i give them if i want an all round killing team? 8)

our advanced research has concluded the fowling things
1. all good things come to an end
2. the universe doesn't end there for it is evil
3. the grater good will die, so enjoy it while it lasts
4. George bush will be the president of the USA for ever and ever
Old 05 Oct 2005, 12:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernejo
o.k then what should i give them if i want an all round killing team? 8)
fireknife- plasma+missilepod+multitracker
Old 05 Oct 2005, 12:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olannon
Actually Elessar, plasma/fusion/mt is firelance, or helios. The fireknife you're referring to is plasma/missile pod/mt.

Entirely different battlefield roles, as one is anti-medium infantry + light vehicles, the other being anti-heavy infantry + heavy vehicles.

Read through the important topics, as Mal posted

Cheers!

~Olannon
yeah sorry thats what i meant. in my opinion crisis suits do better when they have a specific role rather than an all around team.

Old 05 Oct 2005, 15:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Missiles, plasma and fusion are all good choices for crisis suits, although some combinations are better than others. Some of the decision sould be based on what armies you usually face, and what the rest of your army can deal with.

I wouldn't bother with burst cannons on a crisis suit.....you can get those much more economically on stealth suits.

Crisis suits are expensive, so I usually set mine up to deal with high value/high threat targets....usually assault marines or monstrous creatures (+2 save winged hive tyrants can be a real pain, for example). That's why it's usually TL plasma/fusion/HW multi tracker for the shas'els and team leaders and TL plasma for the regular guys.

I would not advise taking different weapons systems and no multitracker as I see some people use, unless you're using twin-linked plasma/missile pod and a flamer, perhaps.
Old 05 Oct 2005, 16:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I agree with Elessar, crisis suits need a specific job. This is for two reasons:

1) Elite crisis suits have terrible accuracy for their price. Twinlinking is almost mandatory, unless you take lots of suits.

2) Crisis suits are always expensive! The cheapest you can possibly get (with the current codex) is 50 points for one suit! For their price, they damn well better fill an important role, and fill it well.
Old 05 Oct 2005, 16:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

On the note of Crisis suits and their terrible accuracy for their price, let's think about that for a moment. The Tau army was designed as a whole and each unit was designed to be along side the other units in the army. So one should consider that when we absolutely forbid the use of one unit in the army, this may have "unseen" effects on the rest. This happens most often in the Crisis suits and we end up having to twinlink their weapons because they're just not accurate enough to be worth while.

However, for what Crisis suits can do and their weapons they can sport, they're not that expensive. Consider the price of BS3 eldar starcannon and the price of the squad that goes with it. Crisis suits are essentially mobile platforms themselves, but they're not attached to squads of firewarriors for example.

The other thing, is that multi-weaponed crisis suits were made, with markerlights in mind. The entire Tau army was made with markerlights in mind while we're at it. The markerlight was not meant to just be a little odd bit of gear that we only can take a few of and we shouldn't bother with them often. Markerlights are pretty integral to the idea and design of the Tau as we all complain of their accuracy, but these markerlights increase our accuracy to BS5 - in short, they give us the ability to grant BS5 to any unit's weaponry on command. This may seem like nothing, but the concept (which was used to design them) is very powerful and cool as well.

Crisis suits do not have to use markerlights; and I'm not saying that they should either. However, consider that multi-weapon crisis suits are terrible with accuracy, but we can make them deadly accurate with a markerlight or eight.

Most players don't care for pathfinders or markerlights in general, so we resort to twinlinking the weapons. This is where they become more accurate and perform well for us without the lights.

So consider that when you choose crisis suits, consider if you're having markerlights or not. If you have plenty of markerlights, sometimes it can be very powerful to pack on the weapon systems on loads of suits and fall from the sky with BS5 accuracy upon your prey. Without the lights though, all those weapons are stuck at 50% accuracy and it becomes way more efficient and "in-our-favor" to twin-link them.

On the subject of specific rolled suits and "all-comer" suits, that totally comes down to the player. Taking 2 or 3 "all-comer" suits may work, but they work sometimes, not always. That's the point of "all-comer" anyway though; to have something to do most of the time, but not super well or every time possible. A more specific suit will have the ability to be much better at one thing, while it's less good at others. These concepts we all know.

However, we can take the best of both worlds here. Instead of taking lots of versatile suits, or pure specific suits, why not take a mix.

For example:

Elite: XV8 x 3; Twinlinked Pods; Trackers

Elite: XV8 x 3; Twinlinked Plasma; Flamers

Both squads have obvious roles and both are specific for their job (pods for range, plasma for short game, flamers for close range damage on situational targets). Yet, if they work together they're much more deadly and better rigged than 6 fire knives would be; yet they're essentially the same thing.

So ask yourself, is it better to have a single Fire Knife, or is it better to have a Deathrain and a Helios or something?
Personally, I'd rather have two suits that work together, that are more specific in their roles, so I'd rather take the Deathrain and the Twinlinked Plasma suit, for example, instead of the single Fire Knife. This has it's advantages and disadvantages, of course, but they're worth it to me:

The not so good:

More suits cost more points, take up force slots, etc. More suits means more money out of our pockets. And maybe we don't like lots of suits to begin with. But the main problem is just the cost in points and the limitations of the force organizational chart.

Something good to think about:

Several suits are harder to kill than a big squad of "everything." It's also more of a strategy with how your opponent will respond to them. For example, 3 fireknives in a single squad together may worry a marine player, due to the plasma, so they will gun them down early if possible. However, those fireknives aren't so great for their points, since we pay near 200 points for the chance to do minor damage (that can be produced for far less points elseware in our army). However, having 2 deathrains and 2 twinlinked plasma suits on the other hand, will cost you 1 more suit and an organizational chart. But, you gain the ability to have long range and short range together, but separately. So if that marine player wants to kill your plasma and your plasma wants to kill their marines, then you can and he can. But your missile pods are still there which he may care less about. In the end; you have more units that may get a chance to score more often and do more damage over the course of the game. If you follow what I'm getting to...

The power of the suit falls to you then and it falls to how it fits into your army. An army with lots of suits, but no ability to support them, will not have terribly good experiences with their suits and may not find them powerful at all. However, someone with 2 or 3 very specific suits may find their lone suits very powerful without support from the rest of the army, because it is them who support the army. And that's the difference really.

An over-generalization to think about:

People who take lots (read: +/- 6) of versatile configured suits (such as Fireknife) typically take their suits and think of them as the damage dealers and that it's their army that must support them. This is both true and false of course, depending on the person, but it's merely what I think from observing players and their styles.

People who take only a few (read: +/- 3) versatile configured suits typically want their suits to fill gaps depending on the game and what they need at the moment. This is is much more in the spirit of "versatile" and can work out just fine.

People who take lots (read: +/- 6) specific configured suits (deathrain for example) typically take their suits as an offensive measure to really punish someone or a specific unit type in the game. This usually involves rows of twinlinked weapons for raw beat down (such as someone who takes 6 twinlinked plasma suits to beat down marines). This works, but usually, they're separated and cut off from the army and they're high-threats so they receive more damage.

People who take only a few (read: +/- 3) specific configured suits typically take them as a more defensive measure. These are the more careful target selectors, as they want that single suit or two, to do a very specific thing, but not call all the attention to themselves.

Anyways, just give it some thought as to what you're doing and what you want to do, and your style, when you choose your suits and how you configure them.

Cheers!