Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to tau, probably going to have a few questions
Old 08 Jun 2015, 14:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New to tau, probably going to have a few questions

I am just getting back into 40k after a couple years away and I have never played tau. I will be playing mostly casual games. I want to convert the shadowsun mini but my question is, how does she stack up in7th edition?
Sunspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2015, 17:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Shadowsun is excellent in 7th I use her on a constant basis because she can supplement for every squad not just stealth suits which are also very good 7th.

So were you lookin about loadouts/strategies/army lists/rules gatta give us a little bit more information bro. Hope we can help.
Old 08 Jun 2015, 17:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

She's fine in 7th, much better than she was in 5th and similar to how she was in 6th. She gives pretty much anything in the Tau army book stealth and shrouded, which buffs up their survivability by a fair amount.
There is currently a rules issue regarding the interpretation of the infiltrator special rule that she has. Basically it says if an independent character has infiltrator they can't join other units without infiltrator. It is unclear by the wording whether this means that she can't infiltrate with non-infiltrators (RAI), or if she actually can't join anyone who doesn't also share the rule (RAW). Discuss this with your opponent before you play and it should be fine 95% of the time.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2015, 18:44   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Last raven- to be honest I am not sure on army lists or formations yet. I have been trying to decide what army I want to start and I have been reading up on tau and I kinda got stuck on shadowsun as an HQ unit, but I wasn't sure how she played. I actually like to convert models and I have been thinking about an all human tau army and I thought she would be a cool model to convert and use as "counts as"
Carelio- thanks for the detailed reply that really helps
Old 08 Jun 2015, 19:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well generally she is an excellent deep striker since she has the split fire fusion blasters and can pair with a crisis anti-armor squad which can be further benefited with the buffmander or farsight(I prefer buffmander). Make sure she stays in cover or else she will lose almost all of her saving graces with stealth and shrouded. However you will want to make sure to do alliances where you can with the farsight enclave so you can get a 3rd hq choice preferably the ethereal since he's worth more than his cost of 50 he is always vanilla unless you want to bring homing beacon(which you can get better sources from elsewere). Then you can put your ethereal with your firewarrior support or anyone within 12" of him to get his benefits. If you need any more clearity let me know.

Buffmander=This is a commander model with the options for pure support to his buddies and no offensive capabilities/or limited.
Usual loadout=
-Command and Control Node
-Multi-Spectrum Sensor Suite
-Neuroweb System Jammer(If its affordable)
-Purtide Engram Neurochip(Usually use Monster Hunter, Tank Hunter, Stubborn(When the other two options are not useful)
-Iridium Battlesuit(If its affordable)
-Stimulant Injector(If its affordable)

Crisis loudouts=
-2xPlasma Rifle
-Stim Injector(If its affordable)

Usual Tank hunter drop team
-Shadowsun
-Buffmander
-3xCrisis
-2xCrisis Bodyguards
Old 08 Jun 2015, 23:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

As a note on Raven's above post, I'm pretty sure you can't bring Shadowsun if you are using the Farsight Enclaves supplement due to the Divergent Destinies rule.
Old 09 Jun 2015, 00:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

you can bring her so long as your not using the farsight only, but if your using one or the other as an allied force you can use her still.
Old 09 Jun 2015, 01:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Mhmm... RAW I think you could bring her in a Tau army with Farsight detachment allied to it, but not the other way around.
The biggest issue is of course that the word army isn't properly defined by the 40k rulebook lol
Old 09 Jun 2015, 02:09   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Last raven - thanks for that details, that's a big help. I have been reading a lot online and some of those terms were a bit confusing.
carellio- thanks for all the help. This is really helping me get a better understanding of what to look at and what to buy
Old 09 Jun 2015, 02:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

As for what to buy, you should buy a battleforce. Then once you can afford it, you should buy a second one. The Tau battleforce contains everything a new Tau player needs to get started, and is unique in that it comes with everything you need to make a legal 500 point army (where other battleforces need to buy a commander since our crisis suits can be our commanders). 2 Tau battleforces is literally a pick up and play competitive 1000 point list. They cost less than buying all the units individually, and everything in the box can be used (and will hold its own as well as anything else in the Tau book) in a competitive game.
Best purchase you can make starting out.