Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help VS Imperial Guard
Old 01 Jun 2015, 02:00   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Question Help VS Imperial Guard

So my friend is the imperial guard, I'm quite new. What would I need to verse them?

I know that he has 6 units (i know, small) and is going mainly tanks, 2 leman russes. We are only playing a 750 point game.

My list is as follows:
- Commander Farsight
- 12 Fire Warriors
- 3 Crisis Suits
- 3 Stealth Suits
- Piranha
- Hammerhead Gunship
- Riptide

The drones that come with them are there as well.

I have some money and time before the match is I must get something. What are your ideas?

Last edited by minimuscle; 01 Jun 2015 at 02:06.
minimuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2015, 02:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Purchasing suggestions:
My advice here is always the same for everyone. Get yourself a second battleforce. One is a good start to every Tau army. 2 makes that start even better. Lists need 2 troops and an HQ, and 2 battleforces do that really well, with 2 units of 12 fire warriors, and enough battlesuits to get you both a converted commander and 5 other suits to do with as you see fit.

Against mechanized forces:
Melta weapons are the Tau's best chance at taking out armoured vehicles.
Longstrike can be very helpful against imperial tanks when using a hammerhead... but he's going to be pretty pricey at these point values.

Against hordes of infantry:
Fire warriors provide fantastic anti-infantry firepower. With a bit of markerlight support you can hit on 2s, wound on 2s, and ignore cover (and by extension against guardsmen, any save at all). Burst cannons make an okay substitute.

Against everything:
Markerlights will really bring your Tau up a notch. I recommend marker drones (converted from the gun drones you got with the stuff you have already) and a drone controller for the increased survivability and mobility over pathfinders.

Last edited by Carrelio; 01 Jun 2015 at 02:40.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2015, 23:24   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Will do. This game though I have more units than my IG friend. he has many tanks.... haha.
Old 02 Jun 2015, 01:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ahh if your going against a lot of tanks you want yourself crisis suits deepstriking with either two plasmas or two fusions(no twinlink, twinlink bad!)
I have recently seen people do one plasma and one fusion that seems to work well as well, but you need to incorporate more crisis suits even if you need to make them bodyguards of farsight and possibly a bodyguard team for shadowsun.
Don't take shielded missile drones with your riptide it only slows him down and if you can equip a drone controller on a crisis and include your gundrones into the squad for some anti-Infantry support when you kill all the tanks and a meat shield for your crisis to get to the tanks should your deepstrike fail.
Also against IG I have found the piranhas and hammerheads tend to go down pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong I love both, but in the numbers you have to work with put points into stims on C suits instead that 5+ save makes all the difference.

Hope that helps man. FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!!
Old 09 Jun 2015, 02:07   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks, I might be battling this weekend. I have posted on the lists for what I am taking.
Old 09 Jun 2015, 04:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Just read and evaluated for you on there depending on how much money I would say grab a crisis team as a priority or a battleforce if you have enough, broadsides should be next on your list though.