Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Burst-tide w/ Tankunter -vs- AV14 :: "Fight!"
Old 25 May 2015, 12:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Question Burst-tide w/ Tankunter -vs- AV14 :: "Fight!"

Anyone see this in play, Riptide w/ Burst Cannon and Fusion, ATS & EWO, in a Firebase Cadre for tankhunter?

Seems kinda ridiculous, markerlight bs +2. I use shadowsun, so reroll 1's on the HBC (and Gets Hot).

12 shots: 10 hit, reroll - likely all.
12 Shots to pen: 2 6's, reroll, 3 total.

3 equals a miss, a glance, and a pen.

Chances are the Fusion will help (not the focus here tho).

It looks to do decent enough, better than triple failsides do...

And hitting on 6's vs troops means 2+ wounds on characters... hehe. Fusion instakill.

Anyone see this work?

Ultimately - I'm seeking something other than what seems to be a crisis heavy av14 Meta.

Thank you!
MekLeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2015, 13:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have used this before and it works, but only if your working against 11 and below so mostly side armor except the ats doesn't help this build at all, I would do Stims all day long and fusion blasters while yes they can be real dicey if your 18 away from a vehicle its better to do plasmas because of the rapid fire. Railsides can work wonders if you equip them properly with stims and sms.
Old 25 May 2015, 14:23   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So rerolling 6's to pen, adding d3 (does this also get a "reroll to pen"?) To make a 2/3 chance glance.
I see three glances from HBC cannon, alone. Pull cover and the raider may die solo'd by Riptide.
Old 25 May 2015, 14:26   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ATS and Relay/CDS/EWO options... amazing for 8 pts. May be the most valuable 8pt spend in an army.

StimTide is ridiculous and always worth.... but I'm squeezing this into a tiny package for a 1k list.

ATS means character's from mass horde armies get picked off ... 12 shots, which isn't bad (RENDING).
Old 25 May 2015, 14:48   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'll try both
Old 25 May 2015, 17:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The only real issue I have with the heavy burst cannon riptide is that we have plenty of access to massed mid-strength anti-tank shooting (even our fire warriors can be used against AV10 and AV11 vehicles) It also needs support every turn to avoid killing itself, where iontides just appreciate the help in having their shooting be effective.
It's a totally viable way to go with a riptide mind you, and a lot of people like the bursttide in the role of their second riptide.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2015, 18:24   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well, I agree on the anti mid range tank killing.... but specifically I'm seeking a non-crisis solution to A V14 (wthout using puny S8 Railsides). A Riptide could very well pull half or more of the HP's of a Land Raider purely by glancing them down to death (no ap, so table wont kill'm)
Old 25 May 2015, 19:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I figured you were going riptide for straight anti-armor in a vs all style yes ats works wonders, but on a full on anti-armor you want your ion as it provides your 3 shots of S7 AP2 which is more than enough to take down anything armor with the help of shadowsun now the reason I'm saying you want to use the S7 instead of the S9 is because you get 3 shots and you can ripple fire the Plasmas resulting in 4TL S6 AP2 Effectively giving you 7 shots of S6/7 AP2 which is more than enough to destroy any armored vehicle with 4 or less hp. Thats not even counting the assist from the railsides.
Old 25 May 2015, 19:54   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

AV14 *shrugs*
AV13 *crunch*

A single (tho rerolling) shot vs a Land Raider, is going to need support from two or three additional units/turns to put it down.

On a slightly lucky roll with a single bursttide (albeit with sun's drone and some markers) and it could pop it alone on one turn.

Otherwise crisis fusions seems the best way, point-wise and effectiveness-wise

Last edited by MekLeN; 25 May 2015 at 19:56.
Old 25 May 2015, 19:59   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I agree stim is powerful. Velocity Trackers give it quality anti-air, but specifically I'm focusing on that Anti-AV14... w/o kamicrisis.

That it also serves as a great sniper in games where the AV14 is gone or nonexistent, that's cool too!