Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Tau Codex? 2015?
Old 22 May 2015, 20:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New Tau Codex? 2015?

I think we can safely assume that later 2015 the Tau will get a new codex. But how will it happen? I have been hearing that either Codex: Tau Mercenaries will be something or that Codex: Kroot will be their own "dex".

I am sure i could start this in the "What do you want to see in the new Tau Codex" thread already in place, but i want to open one since it would be cleaner to have a fresh start.

1. I want to see a Vespid Boxed set of 10/12 models in PLASTIC not pay 45$ for 5 resin models.

2. Human Auxiliaries have their own official rules in the next Codex with a boxed set of maybe 12/16 Gue'Vesa models. I think we should be able to take a squad of 30 and maybe an 0-2 limit on them.

3. Get rid of the abomination Riptide. Its disgusting, and a MC does not belong in Tau fluff or the Tau military.

4. Stealth Suits be better. Allow them to take Plasma Rifles and let us have up to 3 models in the squad take a Fusion Blaster or Plasma Rifle.

5. Crisis Suits to take a twin linked Heavy Rail Rifle. Make it count as all 2 slots on its choices list.

6. Increase our fluff. Its time for the territorial gains of the Third Sphere to take root in official fluff. I want a Tau Empire map a little more zoomed out and not have the FSE or Damocles Gulf be the "frontier" of our empire.

What do you guys think?
roya1b100d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2015, 22:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In no particular order:

From the point of view of Games Workshop's finances, the Riptide is here to stay. GW spent a lot of money making that model, they aren't going to take it out of commission. If anything they will make it even better (in the same way that the eldar Wraithknight got a buff).

We are also unlikely to see heavy rail rifles in the hands of anything besides broadsides (since that's basically the whole point of broadsides)... but hopefully we will see a little bit better balanced weapon options between the railside and missileside.

Stealth suits won't get new weaponry, their kit is fine and won't be updated, this the weapons won't change. I could see them maybe getting cheaper... but we said that last time around and look where it got us.

Plastic vespid... I dunno... same with humans... my guess would be we won't be seeing new models for either one to be honest (and vespid will continue to be mediocre stat-wise).

We are unlikely to move forward much in the time line. Certainly not another whole sphere. Seemingly gone are the days of GW actually advancing the plot lines. We'll see some new fluff, but it will all be within the context of the current fluff timeline. Basically, more details on what already exists in the universe. That is... unless GW really decides to change the design and kicks off their timeline again (unlikely since the emperor is on death's door).
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2015, 05:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well from what I've been hearing Tau are supposed to be codexed in Q1 2016, and tau is already a fully fledged army I can't see why they would make them mercs.

First off, HQ
-aun' va needs to be able to join units
-shadowsun needs +1 Toughness
-aun' shi 6+sv -10pts and make him better at melee, then maybe well throw him in with kroot,

troops
-firewarriors +1BS, emp -1pts cost
-Kroot +1A/+1S/+1I
-Shaper -5pts/+1S/+1I

dedicated transport
-devilfish Able to take all drones, and possibly have the burst cannon able to be switched for a two twin linked markerlights, +1BS/+1Front/+1Side/+1HP, SMS Free upgrade

Elites
-Crisis Suits +1BS, +1 Equip Slot
-Stealth Suits +1W, should be able to equip plasma rifles/ Fusion Blasters,
-Riptide +1or2BS -5stim pts reduction

Fast Attack
-Pathfinders +1BS, -1pts cost, emp grenades -1pts cost
-Vespid -3pts cost
-Piranhas Able to equip all drones

Heavy support
-Broadsides +1BS/+1T,
-Hammerhead +1HP,
-SkyRay +1HP

Drones
-Able to take all Drones, +1BS, Does not count towards unit kill count,
-Shield Drones 4+ Inv for equipped unit within 6"

Weapons
-Airburst +2 rng
-Cylindic +4 rng
-Heavy Burst Cannon +2S,
-Missiles +4 rng
-Heavy Rail Rifle +1S, Melta
-kroot Rifle +6 Rng
-Longshot +2Rng
-Neutron Blaster +6Rng, Assault 2,
-Pulse Carbine +6Rng,
-Railgun submunitions +1S -1AP
-Seeker ignore Line of sight, Ignore cover

Rules
-Bonding knife Ritual Free upgrade when you bring a Sgt
-exemplar of the selfless cause infinite use
-Failer is not an option use ethereals ldr for all tests that use ldr
-grav wave projector roll d6
-riptide shield 4+inv/nova 2+
-puretide replace furious charge with Unit gains split fire/ or maybe precision shots.
-Automated Repair on a 6+ Restore 1HP
-point defense gets overwatch

Holy cow thats a mouthful, and as far as fluff goes I can't have an opinion because I know very little of it, but these are just my thoughts.
Old 26 May 2015, 16:29   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I have been hearing that pathfinders might be replaced with some sort of scout marker light suit? I wonder if GW will get rid of anything?
Old 26 May 2015, 19:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

They have in the past so it is likely, however the pathfinders were a big money sink so I'm not sure if they would just get rid of them entirely.
Old 26 May 2015, 19:13   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRaven View Post
They have in the past so it is likely, however the pathfinders were a big money sink so I'm not sure if they would just get rid of them entirely.
I'm nervous about "iffy" purchases (like Pathfinders) because i don't know how much the new Codex will change the Tau.
Old 26 May 2015, 19:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Go with the sure thing then go drones as they will never leave the Tau army and they serve a better purpose.
Old 26 May 2015, 19:36   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

On GW's website especially in the Space Marines section or anything Chaos related or anything "Imperial" and you get bundles, tank formations, strike wings, etc. Whatever. How come we don't get the option to buy Crisis Suit weapon sprues? Or a boxed set with 3-6 Broadsides? Or Boxed sets with 3 Devil Fish or something? I feel Tau are ignored in our options to make purchases..
Old 26 May 2015, 20:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Tau are, we got our own dice temporarily and have no datacards, or tactical objective cards. All we got are battleforces. GW probably either A doesn't care about the Tau that much or Tau are on there way out the door :/ which I really hope not.
Old 27 May 2015, 06:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Pathfinders are here to stay. They just got new models so you can buy them with impunity. Will they be better in the next codex? I sure hope so... but probably not. Will they be replaced by another markerlight source? Tau players will find a way if GW continues to make them terrible (just like the last 2 renditions of our codex). Buy your pathfinders if you want pathfinders, it's as simple as that.

Further, pretty much all those things you listed, Royal, are boxes that the Tau had an were discontinued. We had a boxed set with... either 3 or 5 tanks... I've forgotten... and a box set with a full 1000 point army. Another with 9 battlesuits and 3 stealth suits. And when our new book was released there were a bunch of army bundles... but honestly those were just a rip off since they were full price.

Tau get a fair deal of love and will not be discontinued, we are among the top selling armies.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote