Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau 500 PT Army (New Player)
Old 06 May 2015, 22:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau 500 PT Army (New Player)

Before I begin, I am new to the game (have not gotten to play level of new)so I do not have any experience and very little knowledge of rules/strategies. Hopefully someone can give me some suggestions/point me in the right direction. Thanks! Also, this post is still open to suggestions! Also, please ignore the excessive formatting if that is something that bothers you. I just like to keep my stuff tidy...
===============================================
|TAU FORCE|
|•HQ:|
|Commander|
|Drone Controller|
|TL PR, PR|
|Iridium Battle Suit|
|2x Gun Drone
|
|•Elites: |
|XV8 Crisis Team |
|Crisis Shas'ui |
|TL PR, PR |
|Crisis Shas'ui |
|TL PR, PR |
|4x Gun Drones
|
|•Troops: |
|Fire Warrior Team |
|6x Shas'la |
|PR and PG |
|Fire Warrior Team |
|6x Shas'la |
|PC and PG
|
|•Fast Attack: |
|Path Finder Team |
|4x Pathfinder Shas'La |
|PC, PG, and EMPG
|
|TOTAL POINTS: 499 of 500|
===============================================
Closing notes v1: Pretty much I just went with stuff that people said was good on various forums (1 HQ 2 Fw, and then I saw that crisis teams are cool) I also went through some prebuilt armies to see what they are doing. I do not have much knowledge of the actual rules/rolls etc but from what I could understand I have a lot of range and a decent number of hits. Not sure about my HQ choice.

Closing notes v2: Made some changes based on what some information LastRaven gave me. Army looks a lot better imho. Also, if anyone wants it, I can send the Roster file from my roster tool. They are .rosz or .HTM. Just PM me.

Thanks!
EDIT: Just fixing a format issue. I used the wrong / on one of my tags.
EDIT II: Changing the list. A lot.
EDIT III: Changing formatting. I'm a tad anal

Last edited by DrakHavik; 07 May 2015 at 18:09.
DrakHavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2015, 04:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hello Drak and welcome to our humble forum of Tau for the greater good

First if I may I find your list...wierd? It is acceptable however since you haven't played yet so let me run down with some good help.

-Battlesuits are keys to any successful tau force. (Stealth/Crisis/Broadside/Riptide)

-Never use bonding knives (They are a waist of points)

-The best tau tactic is Jump-Shoot-Jump (Utilizing the move first turn to get into non-cover in the movement phase, shooting in the shooting phase, and in the assault phase jumping back to cover)

-Markerlights are your friend (when used with marker drones and drone controller[Markerlights grant you an increase to ballistic skill and the ability to ignore cover, and fire a seeker if you have any!])

-Sgt's don't help that much when it comes to tau(This is my belief and will not generalize it as a general rule)

-Get Kroot because with sniper rounds they can rock some socks(Sniper rounds do Select target+Auto wound on 4+[Can be coupled with a single kroot hound if you have them in reserves to reroll outflanking])

-Stealthsuits are great as they can in cover supply a 2+ cover save!

-Weapons of choice[Plasma Rifles, Missiles, Kroot Snipers, Fusion blasters, Ion accelerators]

Now for units I would recommend.

-HQ
-Ethereal(Highly recommended![Keep him clean unless you want to add shield drones])
-Commander(Highly recommended![Choose between buff(Command and control node+Multi-Spectrum sensor suite+drone controller+ iridium armor+ Stimulant injector) & blastmanders(Weapons choice+drone controller+Iridium armor+ Stimulant injector)])
-Commander Shadowsun(Highly recommended!)
-Commander Farsight[As you can use farsight bombs!]

-Troops
-Kroot+Sniper[+1 Hound if in reserve]

-Elites
-Crisis Suits(Mainly Plasmas I recommend using two singles and optional part, or a single and twin-linked.)
-Riptide(if you have 3 lets just say you can lose friends )
-Stealth(Excellent cover use and can dominate lots of different enemy types[Use stims for extra survivability and to aggravate your opponent.)

-Heavy Support
-Broadside[Missilesides(+Missile drones+Drone controller)] or [Railsides(Stims are a must have and since they are heavy weapons Smart missiles are the way to go!)]

Hope that helps man btw make sure to read your rulings on all the aspects of the units your using, but if you have any questions come here and we will help!
Old 07 May 2015, 05:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Drak, do you own any Tau stuff currently?
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2015, 16:47   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I want to ask about his Kroot. Some guys at my local shop said to add the 3 Krootox Riders because its 3 Auto-Cannons that benefit from Markers. On paper it looks good, get 6 BS5 shots at 24" but does it actually work?
roya1b100d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2015, 17:24   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Firstly, thankyou for the quick replies everyone. Means a lot. I am going to my local shop to see about getting in the open play for today. Also, forgot to include a couple units so it does look really weird. I have a Piranha w/ BC and 2 gun drones. Also, I do reply to Carrelio and roya1b100d too, so yea feel free to read you two C:

@LastRaven: Thanks very much for the long reply, it has a lot of good information. As for the Kroot suggestion, I want to try to keep them out of my army. I do not like how they play (I have watched some battle reports online) and I really hate their models. Ugly as sin. I will most likely swap my HQ selection for a commander with iridium battle suit and TL PR, PR with a DC. Like I said earlier I do have that piranha, but I have to drop that for the points. I might drop the Shas'ui and drones from the FW teams, the only reason the Shas'Ui is there is for the ML, instead I will add pathfinder team w/ ML's and PC's with no drones... probably more point efficient. I will get a new list up after this post. If I missed anything important let me know.

@Carrelio: I do not. I am planning what I will need to buy over the next few months. (not all at once)

@roya1b1ood: No idea, wish I knew.
DrakHavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2015, 18:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Royal, Krootox Riders work. Infiltrate them into the enemy's backfield and chew up his tanks from behind. I think the main reason people don't bother bringing them is because Tau already have so much S7 weaponry in the army to begin with which makes krootox somewhat redundant.

Drak, I'm assuming you don't have any Tau models at the moment... so let me strongly strongly strongly encourage you to make your first purchase a Tau battleforce (and the Tau codex). Then make your second purchase a second Tau battleforce. The Tau battleforce has everything a Tau player needs to pick up and play, and it honestly doesn't have any bad options in it. And, unlike GWs other 'bundles' which are literally just a group of boxes sold together for no real explicable reason... the battleforce package deal costs less than all those things individually so you actually save a bit of money!

Use one of the battlesuits as your commander. If you're feeling adventurous give him some cool conversions using the bits you have leftover from the other units, if not, just use him as he is. Try to avoid gluing on his weapons; they slot into his arms well enough on their own and this lets you change things around later. For now I'd run him with 2 missile pods, a target lock, and a drone controller. He will then be teamed up with some marker drones...

Use the gun drones and the crisis suit target locks (the rectangular box looking bit on the crisis suit sprue that is not the head) to make yourself 3 marker drones using this guide: http://www.advancedtautactica.com/vi...p?f=21&t=20021
Add those 3 drones, to the one that comes with the stealth suits and run them as a team of 4 buffed by a drone controller.

Stealthsuits are harassers. Gear them out with 3 burst cannons and use them to mess with your opponent. Just don't expect big things from them.

You need 2 troops... so break your fire warriors up into 2 squads of 6. Run them with pulse rifles (the long guns) and nothing else.

The piranha can equip a fusion blaster and be used to hunt tanks. With its attached drones it is one of the most cost effective models in the game. Drop them off early to act as harassment units, and let the piranha zoom around melting tanks and clogging up choke points on the battlefield. Don't be afraid to be aggressive with it on the battlefield, even if you lose it... it only cost you around 30 points anyways.

As your most flexible unit, use your other two crisis suits to fill in any gaps you might have in your army (anti-tank and anti-elite). Once again, don't glue on their weapons. just slot them into the spaces available on their arms. I would run one with fusion blasters and one with plasma rifles. put them in 2 separate units and let them do what they do best... move shoot and move again!

You may not end up using all of these things right away (if you brought all of them you'd be 36 points over budget for a 500 point game), but as you build up your force, believe me, all of this is good to have! With the second battleforce, bring your plasma suit unit up to 3 total members, and your fusion suits up to 2 total members. Add 3 more burst cannon stealth suits to your stealth team to elevate them from mild annoyance to actual threat level. Bulk out the fire warrior teams to 12 each. up the marker drone team to 6 members (give 2 to the commander as dedicated drones and keep the remaining team of 4). And finally use that second piranha as more antitank. You will be absolutely golden.
Old 07 May 2015, 18:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you go with a battleforce, try a 500 point list something like this:

HQ:
Commander - 147 points
-2 missile pods
-drone controller
-2 marker drones

Elites:
3 XV25 Stealthsuits - 90 points
-3 burst cannons

XV8 Crisis Battlesuit - 52 points
-2 plasma rifles

XV8 Crisis Battlesuit - 52 points
-2 fusion blasters

Troops:
6 Fire Warriors - 54 points
-6 pulse rifles

6 Fire Warriors - 54 points
-6 pulse rifles

Fast Attack:
Piranha - 50 points
-fusion blaster

Total: 999 points

Note: Obviously, you can play around a little bit with it, if you want to get your commander a target lock and a neuroweb system jammer or something cool like that, you can free up some points by downgrading one of your suits to twin-linked instead of double weapons. This would decrease your upper end firepower without decreasing your average firepower and free up some points.

Last edited by Carrelio; 07 May 2015 at 18:57.
Old 07 May 2015, 21:16   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

@Carrelio Okay. That makes a lot of sense, I didn't know you can declare a crisis suit as the HQ. I was considering the battleforce at first but because I didn't know this I wasn't sure. I did the math and that is about 20% discount off the models, and I'm probably going to buy from thewarstore so thats another 20%. Thanks, you just saved me a bunch of money. If I do buy a second one I would get a fish or something because then I would probably be ready to play 1750. So yea, thanks!
Old 07 May 2015, 22:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Heh yeah I can totally get the dislike of kroot everyone seems too, but preformance wize I like them better and I must advice against making sgt's just so you can get markers its far more effective just to make a markerlight drone team and jump your commander with them if you want to go that route its a definit points saver in the end.
I love me pirhanas, but battle tested wize burst cannons are bad and like carrelio says fusions are the way to go however I do need to correct this they are 40pts standard plus an extra 10 for fusion and to make them effective you should distruption pods which is an extra 15 points and if you have leftovers you can rock the blacksun filter for 1pt all together an effective phirahnah is roughly which effectivly is 65pts per which can stack up quickly thus having less than 3 they tend to not be quite as effective, and you'll want to have them in seperate teams by themselves so it makes more targets for the enemy, you don't have to take leadership tests, and if you dismount drones that makes an extra target the enemy has to waist fire on plus its like having a free target lock.
I also fully agree with carrelio's non-gluing method I actually am in the middle of magnitizing all my units, Tau are made for customization don't waist the customization on glue btw never use plastic glue!
Old 07 May 2015, 22:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A second battleforce will get you up to an easy 1000 points with some models to spare. This is good because we want to be selective about the models we choose. We don't want to have to stretch to reach a point goal because that will weaken the final list.

Moving up from there, you should get some games in at 1000 and see what you are lacking. Most people are huge fans of broadsides with missilepods. If you feel like your army is a little squishy (as fire warriors are) then get some devilfish. Another option is that you can take some heat off of your other units by picking up a riptide or two to draw fire. Skyrays and sniper drone teams make some great secondary markerlight support and can lay down the hurt.

There's a lot you can do beyond 1000 points, but I'd say play a few games there and see how things go. Then grow your army from there.