Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Revised Tau Empire list (1000pts)
Old 29 Apr 2015, 03:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Revised Tau Empire list (1000pts)

HQ - Ethereal - 50
HQ - Fireblade - 60

Troops - 12 Fire Warriors - Shas'ui - Markerlight/Target lock - 133

Elites - 2 Crisis Suit's - 2 Plasma Rifle (each) - 108
Elites - 6 Stealth Suits - Shas'vre - 2 Fusion Blasters - 200

Heavy - 9 Sniper Drones - 1 Marksmen - 148

965 pts

What problems would i run into with this list? These are currently all the models i own, what should i look into buying next?
roya1b100d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2015, 05:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This is a very static list and will easily fall prey to fast moving opponents in any objective-based game. You are also very low on markerlights (you don't necessarily need them, but they do a lot to increase the effectiveness of your units when you need the most bang for your buck). Your Shas'ui upgrade would be better spent on extra Marksmen for your Sniper Drone unit. A single Fire Warrior at BS 3 firing out of a squad is a very unreliable markerlight source, plus the boosted leadership is unnecessary due to your Fireblade's Ld 9 and the Ethereal broadcasting a bubble of Ld 10.

I am an avid supporter of Stealth suits, I never leave home without a good two squads maxed out (I've lately opted for a no Crisis Suit army and I don't own a Riptide). However, if you want to utilize them for anti-armor purposes you will want to include target locks. Since you're already bringing a Shas'vre, you can equip him with a target lock and markerlight for the same price as a target lock by itself. That's an extra markerlight for free, just in case! Otherwise your fusion blasters will be wasted against burst cannon targets and vice versa. I like to use the unit to outflank -- or infiltrate for an earlier battlefield presence. The fusion blasters will make a mess of any armor value while the burst cannons suppress nearby infantry (or take advantage of exposed armor facings).

If you are deep striking your Crisis squad, you can equip the Stealth Shas'vre with a homing beacon to ensure a safe arrival and reinforce their position against a strong enemy presence. Otherwise deep strike at will (just be aware of inherent risks) or deploy them in a safe location to then move upon their preferred target.

At this points level you have 1/10th of your army invested in fairly squishy HQ models. The Fireblade is slightly more survivable and can add a little extra ranged firepower at the cost of standing still all game. The Ethereal on the other hand provides a greater range of bonuses to more of your army at the expense of granting an extra victory point if he dies. Drop whichever you feel adds the least to your army and give other units some extra toys or manpower. You could also try out utilizing a Crisis Commander. He's a good bit more expensive, but he has a lot to offer in many different battlefield roles.

You also have a very large core of Troops, three solid units should hold you up to 1500 points at least. At 1000 you could get away with just two squads of Fire Warriors and invest those extra points in something with a little more mobility and/or striking power. If you want to maintain a static defense, a pair of Broadsides would handle all your needs in regards to light and medium armor as well as Monstrous Creatures. Otherwise additional Crisis suits are always a good choice. Missile pods will accomplish the same duties as Broadsides. If you're magnetizing you'll be able to swap weapons as you need them, so you'll never have to worry about WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).

Purchasing a Hammerhead will contribute valuable firepower to both static and mobile armies. Devilfish transports are an excellent protection for your plodding Fire Warriors and transforms them into highly effective mechanized infantry, perfect for Maelstrom of War missions. Piranhas offer extremely mobile maneuver to block incoming enemy forces, exploit exposed flanks and can be equipped with fusion blasters to supplement your anti-armor needs. Our alien auxiliaries, the Kroot and Vespid add a lot of flavor to Tau armies and open up a lot of fun options for different styles of play. Unfortunately due to their low demand (plus the high cost of Vespid) they are difficult to get a hold of unless you go online.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 07:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's better than the last list, but still shames some of the same problems as before.
Wilderun's points are all valid, I endorse them pretty much universally. Definitely drop the markerlights from the fire warrior teams; the cascade theory just doesn't generate the results you're looking for and this one lacks a catalyst to even begin a unit to unit markerlight cascade... maybe with 3 sniper marksmen though... Likewise, for this list I'd drop the fireblade, since the ethereal just has so many pulse weapons to buff and the sniper drone team can keep him pretty safe.
I really think taking the crisis suits as your fusion blaster unit and leaving the stealth suits to do their thing as anti-infantry harassers is the way to go, but what you have could still work too. Looks a little light on anti-tank at the moment.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2015, 15:09   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the input! My goal is to have a non-vehicle list btw, my next purchase will be a team of crisis suits but how should i outfit all three of them? And i can ditch the Ethereal but i spent money on the Fireblade and don't want him gone lol. And i was thinking of adding Shadowsun because i hate Farsight (traitor..) good option? And i like DarkStrider the idea of having him outflank with Fire Warriors to -1 toughness enemy units sounds fun. Yay or Nay?

Last edited by roya1b100d; 29 Apr 2015 at 15:56.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 16:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well I personally have had experience with all of them except farsight and can say out of the many ethereal works best, but if your not going many soldiers just remember ethereal can still grant 10LDR and invocations, this is why I like to accompany him with shadowsun because she works really really well the split fire pisses people off especially when you run her with a stealth suit and bodyguard team with gun drones as it is cheap to apply with crisis suits and allows your team of stealths to fusion down vehicles and possibly use crisis suits for infantry defense I have found burst cannon, and flammer works best for this so shadowsun my second choice.
darkstrider was fun to play, but his ability to instant death really only works with pathfinder rails and ions unless your dealing with enemies with toughness 3 or less so he's unfortunately expensive for his performance,
fireblade could work well if your infantry heavy, but since your not I would drop him, I know the pain of leaving out units you want to use, but performance is based on setup not fan favorites.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 17:28   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

To supplement the current list I was thinking of making the stealth suit changes Carrillo made previously then next week buying a crisis team and pathfinders for more markerlights.

I was thinking of when I get 3 more suits to outfit them all with missle pods? Then give the next pathfinder team 3 ion rifles then the shas'ui 2 marker drones and moving one path finder to the other squad I already have to make 2 squads of 9 but 1 of them will have 2 marker drones in exchange for 3 pathfinders having 3 strength 7 shots. Good idea?
Old 29 Apr 2015, 18:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Don't give pathfinders marker drones. Marker drones need to be with other mobile jump units like battlesuits and need the support of a drone controller. If you want more pathfinders in a pathfinder unit then go get more pathfinders. I wouldn't get more though. I've never seen anyone take more than 2 units of them... they are among our worst markerlight option in my opinion. You certainly won't need more than you have at 1000 points (considering you will only need around 5 hits to support this army pretty well).

If you got 3 more crisis suits I would load 3 out with plasma or missile pods, and give the other two as a separate unit fusion blasters. I think plasma would be especially helpful until you can pick up a couple riptides to help take down terminators. If you're looking for missile support, the broadside is a pretty sweet place to look.

Also, Farsight isn't a traitor, the hero the Empire deserves, but not the one it needs. He realized the harsh reality and horror of the universe and knew he could never return to the Empire because it has tainted him, but continues to fight for the greater good as an outcast.

Last edited by Carrelio; 29 Apr 2015 at 18:38.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 18:48   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrelio View Post
If you got 3 more crisis suits I would load 3 out with plasma or missile pods, and give the other two as a separate unit fusion blasters. I think plasma would be especially helpful until you can pick up a couple riptides to help take down terminators. If you're looking for missile support, the broadside is a pretty sweet place to look.

Also, Farsight isn't a traitor, the hero the Empire deserves, but not the one it needs. He realized the harsh reality and horror of the universe and knew he could never return to the Empire because it has tainted him, but continues to fight for the greater good as an outcast.
The 2 Crisis Suits i have, both are armed with 2 Plasma Rifles so when i get 3 more suits should i just give them all Fusion blasters or all Missile pods? And could i give the stealth Shas'vre a Drone controller with 2 Marker drones?

And the codex does seem to villainize Farsight. They destroy the Tau Empires probes when sent into the Enclaves and he refuses the Ethereal's rule and sees them as oppressive, isn't that traitor-ish to the Empire? I wonder if GW will ever reunite the Enclaves with the Empire? You cant have an ever expanding empire with an autonomous enclave on the side with your borders getting closer and closer. Shadowsun just won a victory in Mu'galath Bay which is close to the Enclaves.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 19:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Give one more plasma rifles to bring that unit up to 3. Give the remaining 2 fusion blasters to create an anti-tank team.

You could give the marker drones to the stealth team, it was something people tried in 5th edition predominantly, but I think I better use of them is to create a mark'O. Get yourself a battlesuit commander (by which I actually mean just a regular old single battlesuit that you've converted up to look cook not the overpriced 'oh, you surprised me!' model) give him 2 missile pods, a drone controller and a target lock then put him with 6 marker drones. Those 6 drones now fully replace the pathfinder team since that's 6 BS5 markerlights, or 5 hits (the equivalent of 10 pathfinders), and they are way more survivable at Toughness 4 with Jump-shoot-jump. That's my favourite light source in the game at the moment.

Yah, the Tau book is written from the point of view of the Tau Empire so it paints the picture of Farsight the villain. The Farsight Supplement goes into more detail about what really happened.
In the Farsight Enclave book we get to hear about how Farsight has deployed a massive army of battlesuits to save the empire from the Tyranid Hive fleets so he's clearly on their side.
In the Battlefleet gothic Tau rule set it was mentioned that Aun'shi took the last Hero class ship every built and traveled to the Enclaves to speak with Farsight about reuniting with the empire.
So reunion isn't out of the question, the Enclaves are just a different incarnation of the Greater Good working towards the same goal.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 20:19   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrelio View Post
Give one more plasma rifles to bring that unit up to 3. Give the remaining 2 fusion blasters to create an anti-tank team.

You could give the marker drones to the stealth team, it was something people tried in 5th edition predominantly, but I think I better use of them is to create a mark'O. Get yourself a battlesuit commander (by which I actually mean just a regular old single battlesuit that you've converted up to look cook not the overpriced 'oh, you surprised me!' model) give him 2 missile pods, a drone controller and a target lock then put him with 6 marker drones. Those 6 drones now fully replace the pathfinder team since that's 6 BS5 markerlights, or 5 hits (the equivalent of 10 pathfinders), and they are way more survivable at Toughness 4 with Jump-shoot-jump. That's my favourite light source in the game at the moment.
Okay, here it is. I own 2 Crisis Suits right now with Plasma Rifles. 1 of them i will convert once im home from work to a Commander with 2 Missile pods, a drone controller, and a target lock with 2 Marker Drones. The other Suit i will give 2 Fusion Blasters to deep strike tank kill suicide until i buy 3 more Crisis next week. Which i will use their drones to make a squad of Marker Drones to go with the Commander.

Now those 3 Suits i plan on getting, should i give them all Plasma Rifles?