Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fireblade of Storm!
Old 28 Apr 2015, 00:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Fireblade of Storm!

Hey guys I've been looking through the codex for some interesting loadouts and I noticed a man named Fireblade and giving volley fire, now I had a theory that mayhaps grouping him with 2 ethereals and darkstrider with a firewarrior force seems really good.
Heres some ability breakdowns!
-Enemy -1T which can be used for instant death.
-+1shot on no movement
-+1shot with pulse weapons in rapid fire range
-6+Feel no Pain

and with a group of 12 firewarriors alone will be able to shoot when in rapid fire range 24 standard +24 for ability shots +4 for Darkstrider+Fireblade= 50 shots. with one group alone.

Has anyone tried this method or do have you some thoughts of addons that could potentially help the combination? I'm thinking about going FE to get the free Bonding knife.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 07:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This unit is going to cost a lot of points and is going to be pretty easy to kill in spite of its cost. With the two ethereals tagging along only making this an even tastier target for an opponent (who could be as many as 4 points up at the end of turn one with a good round of shooting).

In general, one ethereal is about the peak of the cost-return bell curve. Storm of fire is the ability you're taking them for, as the others just don't give that same force multiplier effect. One ethereal would definitely do it in my opinion, no need for the second one.

Then you have darkstrider. I think he's neat, between the anti-charge move and the toughness decrease. But I think in most cases, people don't bring him because there are better options than an HQ who buffs a single unit of fire warriors... and I'd have to agree. I've seen some people toy with the idea of using him in a pathfinder team to make heavy weapons instant-kill stuff... but even then it's still unlikely, and S5 fire warriors are even less likely to make use of this. That said... I like that he's got a blacksun filter...?

I have seen some people just make gigantic squads of fireblades... which is kind of similar... since the fireblade ability stacks, and each fireblade adds another body to multiply the effect, at 12 fire blades in a 12 man fire warrior squad (24 models total at roughly 750 points)... I believe you put out a rather silly 312 shots... but again... who can't kill 24 firewarriors in a turn or two (plus who needs 312 shots from a single unit?!)?

Maybe a fun idea but overall not highly competitive.

Farsight Enclave does not give out free bonding knives. All units in a Farsight Enclave must be bonded if they can be, but at the cost of that bonding. It's considered a tax in order to get battlesuits for troops. In the same way that when Grey Knights wanted purifiers as troops they had to pay for a totally useless special character who was basically just 100 points the rest of the army didn't get to make use of.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2015, 11:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

You do make some good points because points loss can stack up pretty quickly, and yeah I can see the 314 shots being overkill, but hey when they pile on the orc, and tyranids those saves get annoying as all hell.
As far as the bonding knife goes I didn't see a change in points cost between normal tau and FE so I'm not seeing the tax your talking about.
I think I'll try my luck at a crisis exceed team and see how that goes.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 15:38   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrelio View Post
I have seen some people just make gigantic squads of fireblades... which is kind of similar... since the fireblade ability stacks, and each fireblade adds another body to multiply the effect, at 12 fire blades in a 12 man fire warrior squad (24 models total at roughly 750 points)... I believe you put out a rather silly 312 shots... but again... who can't kill 24 firewarriors in a turn or two (plus who needs 312 shots from a single unit?!)?
How do you take a squad of Fireblades? They are HQ so you can only have 2? Or am i missing something here?
roya1b100d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2015, 17:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Bonding knives typically cost one point per model in a squad, they aren't free. Because they are pretty much useless and Farsight enclave forces you to take them they are considered a tax instead of a benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roya1b100d View Post
How do you take a squad of Fireblades? They are HQ so you can only have 2? Or am i missing something here?
You can choose the unbound force organization option, which allows you to take anything you want without restriction. It comes with some mild penalties, but if you're making a unit of fireblades you probably aren't worried about penalties.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2015, 04:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I lately have been making use of an Ethereal tucked along with two squads of Fire Warriors inside Devilfish. If the Ethereal remains within the transport after the Fire Warriors disembark for a Fish of Fury assault, his invocation of Storm of Fury should emanate from the hull of the Devilfish carrying him. Two squads triple tapping at close range is devastating, but you don't suffer the consequence of having your Ethereal vulnerable to potential enemy firepower or assault (assuming the Devilfish weathers any shots sent its way). If you're concerned about the Ethereal being helpless in the event that his transport is destroyed (since if he pops out during the enemy shooting phase, he can't join a unit until your next movement phase), bring him with drones. They will stay with him inside the transport since they operate as an Independent Character unit and protect him if he becomes vulnerable later on.

I once got to experience the effects of a Fireblade and Ethereal combo'ed with a couple squads of Fire Warriors (in a 2v2 Tau allies game). A charging unit of Bloodletters was fairly repulsed during overwatch by the high volume of shots (bolstered I believe by markerlights). Even a Bloodthirster thought twice about coming across the table, and for good reason since he didn't survive the trip. This isn't a combination I like to field, though, since I prefer mobile play to static defending -- boring! It can certainly be effective, I would just recommend placing your HQ units in separate squads to ensure better odds of survival. Drones are a smart investment to increase the bodyguard count, and if enough Fire Warriors die the unit will bump up to a T4 average! Sure, at that point you're probably in a pretty tough spot, but every little bit helps to extend the longevity of an imperiled unit.

Last edited by wilderun; 29 Apr 2015 at 04:34.
wilderun is offline   Reply With Quote