Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Deepstrike Does it exist?
Old 31 Mar 2015, 13:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tau Deepstrike Does it exist?

Hey guys I can't seem to find any tau units that have deepstrike and so was wondering if I'm not understanding what deepstriking is, but I was told you can't deepstrike unless the rules say you can, but I see people on battle reports deepstriking crisis.

I'm so lost xD
Old 31 Mar 2015, 17:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The rules allowing Tau to deepstrike are in the BRB (maine 40k rulebook). All jet pack and jump models have the deepstrike rule. As you know, we have a lot of of jet packs (and even a couple jump models) which makes us very very capable of deepstriking.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2015, 18:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

ahhhh yeah theres so many rules I tend not to look at the main rulebook unless I need too, but yeah I love everything about that then a riptide can technicly deepstrike >
Old 21 Apr 2015, 03:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

All of our battlesuits are able to deep strike, as are Vespids. If you're interested in further reserves shenanigans, take a look into equipping models with the Positional Relay and/or the Homing Beacon. The PR allows outflanking units to arrive on ANY board edge at will (no dice rolling for outflank, but still have to roll for reserves) within 6" of its bearer. This can be equipped on any battlesuit and is also integrated into the Pathfinder team's Recon Drone, which if mounted in a Devilfish broadcasts its 6" from the vehicle's hull. The HB can be equipped on Ethereals, Stealthsuit Shas'Vres and is also integral to the Recon Drone. This piece of hardware allows any friendly unit arriving by deep strike to land without scatter so long as the first model is placed within 6" of the HB's bearer.
Also, very importantly, these effects are able to be used as soon as the model is on the table, regardless of when they arrived. Space Marine homing beacon equivalents require that the model have been on the table since before the start of the turn that reserve units arrive... we have no such restriction.

So for example, you could outflank OR infiltrate a Stealth team with a Shas'vre and homing beacon into the back corner of the table within 6" of the opponent's board edge, then outflank a Devilfish loaded up with Pathfinders and a Recon Drone from said opponents board edge, THEN deepstrike suits of all types safely within 6" or outflank further units to create a massive killzone of unreasonable proportions!

Granted, this means that a large portion of your army is likely in reserves and thus subject to the whims of the Dice Gods, which is risky business indeed. When it works, it works spectacularly. When it doesn't work, a game that could have ended by turn 3 could very well drag on to turn 7 and even end in your shameful defeat! In my opinion, if you're not playing with risk, you're not playing at all, so you may as well go for broke when trying out fun new tactics.
wilderun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2015, 15:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

that actually sounds like fun I'll be using my devilfish with recon drone attached in my next tourney so I might try that.