Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Farsight Suit Army Missile Pods - Crisis Or Broadside?
View Poll Results: Which is best for Missile Pod support in a full battlesuit army?
HYMP Broadsides 3 100.00%
2 MP Crisis Suits 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Mar 2015, 22:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Question Farsight Suit Army Missile Pods - Crisis Or Broadside?

Working on a Farsight Army using nothing but Battlesuits as I'm after a small model count army, so far my list consists of a commander, 2 riptides and 15 Battlesuits with some marker drones.

2 of my Crisis teams are armed with 2 missile pods (not twin linked). But with only a 2-3pt difference between this and a Broadside with a HYMP before upgrades I'm curious to know if I should ditch one of these teams for some Broadsides?

The question I'm asking is; with the rest of the army being very maneuverable and ducking behind cover during the assault phase, would a unit of Broadsides work? Are they worth the sacrifice of agility for extra firepower?
Proiteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2015, 23:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

they are both excellent choices, but consider the following standard missiles don't have homing, ignore cover, and they fire 2 shots less. Yes it is technicly stronger, but you lose much needed accuracy now if you can get crisis teams enough space to hop back and 4th go with them otherwize having 3 broadsides each with HY =4x3=12 dice now this is the essentially the same range as sms so add in 4 more sms per model 4x3=12 and add on a pack of controlled MS Drones 6x2=12. so essentially if your in 30" of a target you get 12x3=36 Dice down range, with 24 7s,4ap, and 12 5s,5ap, Homing & ignore cover its a beautiful thing
Old 31 Mar 2015, 02:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Both are perfectly valid options as missile platforms. What the broadside lacks in mobility it makes up for with a 2+ save and increased anti-infantry firepower to make their zone of control a killzone for incoming enemy units. What the crisis suits lack in armour and firepower they will make up for in increased mobility to stay out of sight and one step ahead of incoming enemy units. Both will function within the context of your list but they will function in different ways.

Most Enclave players end up taking both.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2015, 17:40   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

So what loadout would you recommend for a Broadside Missile Unit? With only 210pts to spare are Drones really a necessary tool?
Proiteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2015, 17:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd leave the broadsides themselves either bare bones, or if you had points EWO. I would also take at least 2 missile drones to bring the unit size up to 5 means you can lose a model and not test for leadership; I'd take 2.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote