Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Infamous Manta!
Old 27 Mar 2015, 05:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default The Infamous Manta!

Ok guys so I had a thought and probably a bad one, but theoretically if I did have a manta on a 2k point game how do you think he would fair against an entire army of lets say...blood angels by himself or any for that matter, how would you use him, keep him alive, and do you think he would win or lose. Let your imagination be the guide!(Theoretically)
Old 27 Mar 2015, 08:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Offensively a Manta is crazy! It puts out a ton of firepower each turn (like... 96 S5, 9 S7, 10 seekers to fire off when you want, and 2 heavy railguns... which are... a force all their own unmeasurable by numbers)...

But defensively it is a tactical nightmare...
It can't fly because it's your only model and you can't risk it flying off the board (since if you have no models on the board you automatically lose the game). This means your in hover mode all game... though this doesn't matter so much since enemy's never reduce their BS against a flying Manta.
This just leaves it with its hull for protection... and it only has Av13/12/11, and 10 hull points. So basically the equivalent of 3 hammerheads. Notably, being a super heavy it can't jink, but it does get an automatic 4++ invulnerable save every turn... so let's call it even.

So at the end of the day the question really comes down to this... Can the 2000 points of blood angels survive a turn of shooting from the Manta... and if we look at it the other way... can 3 hammerheads survive a turn of mauling from a blood angels army... If the blood angels brought transports... I think they actually have a pretty good chance of taking down the manta, otherwise it's just a question of who gets a hit in first.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2015, 12:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

wierd the app I'm using for team building says the manta has 30hp, but yeah I love the offensive potential!
Old 27 Mar 2015, 18:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Maybe it does? I am not well versed in the Manta, so my answer was just from looking it up off the internet where I saw 10. 30 hull points would be better.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 20:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I take it you don't use alot of forgeworld do you?
Old 28 Mar 2015, 01:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Only Tetras, XV9s, and the Riptide varients. Never any of the super heavies. I personally don't use Forgeworld because I don't find the rules as well tested as regular 40k and would not want to be accused of abusing broken combinations, but I have no problem with people playing Forgeworld against me.

I do wish I'd bought their Tau 3rd sphere BFG ships when I had the chance though...
Old 28 Mar 2015, 03:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

heh yeah I want to rock hazard suits myself