Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ruling: Cover+Inv Sav: Do they stack
Old 07 Mar 2015, 13:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Ruling: Cover+Inv Sav: Do they stack

Ok so almost had a arguement with one of the guys I was playing and now I'm confused as hell I was under the understanding that when you are in cover you get your "cover sav" and if you have your stealth suits you get your "shrouded+stealth sav" now I combined this with shield drones to get the "inv sav" and the guy I was playing said that you can get one or the other not both I would like help with this so I can continue my poking spree with some evidence.

Example:
4 Stealth Team(3 'ui 1 'vre in Barricade=[4+ cover save] +Stealth=[+1 Cover sav] +Shrouded=[+2 Cover sav]
The rules state you can only have a max of 2+ Cover save with Stealth+Shrouded so with this I should have a 2+ Cover save and a 4+ Inv Save from shield drone right(which can be used as a fallback if they roll a 6?

-Thanks!
Old 07 Mar 2015, 17:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In 40k you pick the save you want to use, but you only get one, they don't combine like they do in Warhammer Fantasy.

Some rules increase the value of a save (usually this applies to cover, such as stealth, shrouded, go to ground, etc. but there are a few cases where it might be invulnerable saves or armour saves such as the riptide's nova shield).

In your example The whole unit gets a 2+ cover save from the terrain, their stealth, and their shrouded. This is their best save so obviously you would pick this one. However, if your enemy had a power that removed your cover save (say... markerlights), then you would have to pick the next best save option, which for the shield drone is a 4+ invulnerable save, and for the stealth suits a 3+ armour save (so you'd best hope they don't get hit with any AP3 or better weaponry while their cover is negated).

Now, this may get you thinking; what's the point of a shield drone with a 4+ save in a unit that already essentially has a 4+ save as standard? And you would be correct to ask that; which is why most people who bring drones with their stealth suits use gun drones instead. Shield drones work well to provide XV8s a little extra protection when they are caught out in the open, but don't mean as much to stealth suits who are almost never actually 'out in the open.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2015, 19:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

oh well darn....that brings my poking to an end :/